It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAM radio equipment detrimental to mental health?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Mods, please move if needed and couldn't find a topic similar on the engine.
My wife of 18 years grew up in a household whose father was and still is a serious HAM operator.
First a little background.
"Beth's father has been a HAM operator since he was 13 years old. Growing up Beth's father added more equipment than would be needed to broadcast around the world using an antennae that could bounce a signal off the moon to china.
Added were the various public bands etc.
A lot of power was routed to these things and for whatever reason, (I'm sure there is one) they are never turned off.
My question is whether or not the massive amounts of power used to keep all these things going, whether being used or not is detrimental to the mental health of the people who live there.
My wife and EVERY single person that has lived there has major mental health issues.
I'm talking about depression, OCD, eating disorders and a few suicide attempts.
Are these machines capable of producing EMF that would have hurt them for say an average of 20 years living in that environment?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Spader

There are many of us that suffer from the very high frequency bands, though the experts will always try to say its rubbish.
Do a search on google for "RF sensitivity" and you'll find plenty of studies done by groups of GP's that confirm the health problems.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I would first eliminate all other possibilities for the mental illness before even asking the question. First, what kind of upbringing have the people in this family experienced? Is there any substance abuse(most notably alcohol)? How is the family dynamic? Did the children get raised in a way that could be considered abusive in some way? Sexual, mental, neglect, etc?

You have to eliminate the control areas before expanding into other areas. The items listed above have been linked to all the mental illnesses you listed above in many different studies spanning many years.

I have known many people who operate ham and who are seemingly fine. Anecdotal but real nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Which power is it you're afraid of, the incoming house supply? Look outside, you see the wiring? That's got a lot more power running through it, and it's going right by your house.

But as far as the amount of power that the guy's able to output, that's not 'massive', the peak you can emit is 1500W, about the same as a big hair dryer. Most HAMs don't use that much. I never had a rig with more than 200W output.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

There are many of us that suffer from the very high frequency bands, though the experts will always try to say its rubbish.
Do a search on google for "RF sensitivity" and you'll find plenty of studies done by groups of GP's that confirm the health problems.

Well, that's only because it IS rubbish. But most HAMs don't work "very high frequency bands". Not that you can't, but it's sort of specialized.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology
Absolutely no drugs, alcohol or environmental issues. Dads a Microbiologist and won't even let pest control agents in home.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Well, that's only because it IS rubbish.

And your evidence is?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I think ALL electromagnetic frequencies not associated with normal processes in the atmosphere are detrimental, and we're floating in a sea of them, new ones, starting in the old radio days.

The amount out there now with cell towers, etc. must be staggering.

Our brains are electrical, of course this could affect people. I get a headache from being around too much electrical gear and can't think straight. I literally feel short-circuited. It's a short step from that to depression and anger issues depending on their personalities.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have to agree with the rest of the ham operators here. First eliminate other sources of mental illness, before blaming it on ham radios. Most operators are very careful and use RF shielding etc....anyway, we do. We follow the FCC rules and have a great time on the radios. BTW, it only takes about a half watt to reach the moon, and you can chat with the ISS on 5 watts.

I do agree that high frequency bands can affect people adversely- I've read many studies on it. But if you are one of those people, my suggestion is not to live where that is an issue.

Sweet Karma

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Green Bank WV

The Man Who Was Allergic To Radiowaves

Sweden is the only country in the world to recognize EHS as a functional impairment, and Segerbäck's experience has been important in creating policy to address the condition. Swedish EHS sufferers -- about 3 percent of the population, or some 250,000 people, according to government statistics -- are entitled to similar rights and social services as those given to people who are blind or deaf. Today, local governments will pay to have the home of someone diagnosed with EHS electronically "sanitized," if necessary, through the installation of metal shielding.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It could just be that people with mental issues like Ham Radios. Putting your ear to the telephone disrupts brain function temporarily, the magnet in the phone alters signals in the brain. Now, I have heard of health issues from stuff like this, but not so much on psychological issues. I know people who work with ham radios a lot, and they are just as normal as you and I. Ooops I forgot, we aren't really considered normal here on ATS, we are aware.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Never heard of psychological effect due to RF. However I have a little story that may be of interest.

Long time ago while younger, I was an intern at an electronic repair and maintenance dept. of a major industry. My supervisor was a senior RF techician, his job was the repair, installation and tuning of all radiocommunication gears. I remember once having a conversation w/t him about the effect of RF energy on human; he was well aware of the problems associated like RF burn and was telling me you cannot wear any ring when working in a radio. Then I told him that I had heard (cannot remember the source) that RF technicians (radio, radar ...) were having a disproportionate high number of daughter. His face changed, completly baffled he told me: I have only three girl...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

Well, that's only because it IS rubbish.

And your evidence is?

Several studies that show people with electromagnetic sensitivity do no better than chance determining if an RF source is on or off?

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Conclusions: The
symptoms described by “electromagnetic hypersensitivity” sufferers can be severe and are sometimes disabling. However, it has
proved difficult to show under blind conditions that exposure to EMF can trigger these symptoms. This suggests that “electromagnetic
hypersensitivity” is unrelated to the presence of EMF, although more research into this phenomenon is required.

simonwessely.com...

Conclusions No evidence was found to indicate that people with self reported sensitivity to mobile phone signals are able to detect such signals or that they react to them with increased symptom severity. As sham exposure was sufficient to trigger severe symptoms in some participants, psychological factors may have an important role in causing this condition.

www.bmj.com...,15,06,25,05,2007

Including studies reported in our earlier review, 46 blind or double-blind provocation studies in all, involving 1175 IEI-EMF volunteers, have tested whether exposure to electromagnetic fields is responsible for triggering symptoms in IEI-EMF. No robust evidence could be found to support this theory. However, the studies included in the review did support the role of the nocebo effect in triggering acute symptoms in IEI-EMF sufferers. Despite the conviction of IEI-EMF sufferers that their symptoms are triggered by exposure to electromagnetic fields, repeated experiments have been unable to replicate this phenomenon under controlled conditions.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
I think ALL electromagnetic frequencies not associated with normal processes in the atmosphere are detrimental...

EM is EM. There isn't special normal EM and evil abnormal EM.

The amount out there now with cell towers, etc. must be staggering.

Cell towers are pretty low power. No more than about 20w per antenna. You don't need more, it's strictly line of sight.

Our brains are electrical, of course this could affect people.

Not really. It's biochemical. Your neurons produce very small electrical potentials as a result of the neuron firing, but nerves don't conduct electricity like a wire.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Star and Flag!

There was once an anomalous breast cancer cluster associated with an Australian ABC news room in the general proximity to the TV transmission antenna. The entire site was repeatedly tested for harmful radiation and no such evidence was found except in the obvious areas directly near the antenna's location.

CANCER CLUSTERS (11/10/2007)

Earlier this year, a panel of independent experts stated that the high incidence of breast cancer among women who had worked in the ABC’s Brisbane newsroom could not be put down to chance. As a result, the Toowong site was permanently closed down and all production facilities relocated. This major upheaval was due to fears that the site was host to a ‘cancer cluster’; a greater than expected number of cancer cases within a particular environment.

Prime real estate or white elephant?

he ABC was forced to vacate the site fronting the Brisbane River in 2006 after 17 women who had worked at the ABC were diagnosed with breast cancer.

Three years after the office was abandoned due to health fears, the 18th case of breast cancer among employees was this week confirmed by ABC Radio.

The site, considered to be one of Brisbane’s most sought-after and reportedly worth around $30 million, was offered for sale by tender after it was declared free of radiation contamination last year.

A final round of tests conducted on the site in December 2008 found exposure to ionizing radiation was well below accepted public health levels.

Mr Warren said despite the fact the site had been given the all-clear, the general public’s perception was that it was dangerous.

''Now we’ve just heard of another woman being diagnosed with cancer, which makes it even harder to believe that the property is safe,'' he said.

An ABC spokeswoman said the final report of testing done at the Toowong site in 2008 by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency shed no light on a cause for the cancer cluster.

"They all concluded that there was no evidence that the radiation measurements of the building and the land, were directly linked to the breast cancer cases," she said.

The Medical Journal Of Australia: “There will be no more!”: the legacy of the Toowong breast cancer cluster

The events surrounding investigations into a cluster of breast cancers among broadcast media workers in Brisbane, Queensland suggest that this approach to cluster investigation is inadequate.

Maybe non-ionizing radiation is more dangerous than we suspect

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

I agree with this post. If it's not natural then it should be suspect. We probably won't know the damage for a long time but it wouldn't surprise me if all the activity turns out to be the cause of a lot of physical, emotional and spiritual ills. We are messing with things that we don't fully understand.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Jainine

You know you emit low level microwaves all the time, right? And that sunlight is just a higher frequency of EM than a HAM rig?
edit on 6-11-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
My opinion is that we have yet to see the long-term effects due to the use of Cell phone, and especially Wireless transmissions. No one knows what they may cause in mental illiness. The Host of Coast to Coast George Noory, had his sister die just a few months ago, and he is convinced it was due to excessive use of a cell phone against her head, the same place her tumor grew. Plus Doctor Oz had a show on recently,where Doctors warned women against storing their cell phones in the bra. could lead to Breast cancer, as one patient Doctor Oz had on the show found out the hard way and is fighting breast cancer. I once heard an expert say that much of the problems that are attributed to electronics come from Dirty electricity.To much is not known about the long term effects of electronics against the Human body.
edit on 6-11-2014 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   

You know you emit low level microwaves all the time, right? And that sunlight is just a higher frequency of EM than a HAM rig?

You know I said 'unnatural' right? What you just stated was natural and not the problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join