It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bunker building

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Ok me and my friends are looking for a cheap safe and most importantly DISCREET way to build a underground bunker.

Say our starting point is 0.5 Acre of empty land.

We want at least 10mx10m of floor space and a electric generator inside.

Ideas?

edit on 5-11-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Was reading this simple guide a few weeks ago. Don't really need permission to dig unless you're afraid of hitting a gas line or awakening a long dead mummy. Could also dig something like this out manually if you had the time and man power. Wouldn't be that expensive to build either.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I have thought about doing this also it takes me back into my fort building days as a kid. What I have found is cost is a huge factor to do it right means air and security. The door would cost 1000,s and the the air system would be about the same.

Just digging a hole and either sticking in a shipping container or having concrete poured is 10,000 easy. My estimate to get the shipping container and all the other stuff is right around 50,000-100,000 to do it right. I hop you can find a way to do it cheaper but please be careful cutting corners underground can be dangerous.
edit on 5-11-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Sticking a shipping container risks cave in as the sides erode and buckle.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nope people do it all the time many preppers have already done this. They are rated for the weight and have special sealant I believe to fight off rust. Google shipping container bunkers and check it out.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

To be honest the cost is the main factor keeping people from doing this. You need,power,air,security doors,safe bunker,all the crap you would need for the bunker......The cost is 50,000-100,000 just to get a basic underground shelter.

I have given up this dream because of financial costs.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Ok me and my friends are looking for a cheap safe and most importantly DISCREET way to build a underground bunker.

Friends and friends of friends aren't usually that discrete. If everyone knows about your bunker then thats where they will show up when the time comes.

A dude I used to know once told me that if the crap really flew he would just find someone better prepared than him and take over their thing. In fact he would go around looting everyone else to get what he needed. How many people around thinking like that, you think?

Besides theres the tactics issue of being buried in a bunker. Its a last stand place and ultimately indefensible, (because its a bunker).

Better plan on mobility instead. Usually refugee columns are the result of SHTF scenarios. Everyone coming out to help everyone else. No hoarding allowed.

Imo, "Bunker" mania is used to let people think they are safe while still going about their lives. They have a place to fall back to, just in case. If the "enemy" finds you at home you already lost.

Bunkers are also good for consumerism. Spend and buy all that good stuff and bury it in the backyard.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I have most shipping container bunkers are re-enforced. Plus someone will notice a 20ft shipping container being buried

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

These friends are trust worthy.

Plus its not just for a SHTF situation but also for a "man cave"

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Exactly. I think a lot of people who build shipping container homes above ground will face maintenance nightmares at some point.

You didn't mention how long you expect to be using your bunker. Is it something you'd use for a weekend, or to live in for a couple years? That alone should determine the type of construction and how much money you want to put into it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I have most shipping container bunkers are re-enforced. Plus someone will notice a 20ft shipping container being buried

Anything that will last and let you survive is going to be noticed. Many people have already done this and companies sell the underground bunkers already built the starting cost is 100,000 for these.

If you are planning on digging a pit with a shovel........YA that is a pipe dream.
edit on 5-11-2014 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Exactly. I think a lot of people who build shipping container homes above ground will face maintenance nightmares at some point.

You didn't mention how long you expect to be using your bunker. Is it something you'd use for a weekend, or to live in for a couple years? That alone should determine the type of construction and how much money you want to put into it.

Weekends and storage. Its not something to live in.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

These friends are trust worthy.

Mmm kay. If you say so, Most friends are fair weather. But if you got some true blues thats precious.

Plus its not just for a SHTF situation but also for a "man cave"

Ahh, a "fort". I get that. Thats completely different.

You need lighting, fresh air, water and food. Besides all your manly stuff, I mean.

Look to old Civil Defense manuals from the sixties. Heres a book I read once about this kind of thing. It had a certain appeal back in the days of "Tommy Turtle" and the "Bomb Scare". Remember "Duck and Cover"? This is a little more practical…

"Life After Doomsday"

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I dont know about an electric gen inside, something has to be feeding it, unless your talking manual labor. Id much rather use solar panels hidden, with the wire running to the bunker, and then to a battery bank. Have you ever seen the concrete bunkers that come prefabricated, all you do is add water after setting up the framing

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Nope people do it all the time many preppers have already done this. They are rated for the weight and have special sealant I believe to fight off rust. Google shipping container bunkers and check it out.

Yep, and they also end up welding re-enforcements to the outside of the containers. There are a few shelters that are made from shipping containers that are ok, but I wouldn't really call them bomb shelters (more like shipping container man-caves)

If your really serious this, here's a set of plans that you can get to build your own:
Natural Building Blog

This round earthbag shelter for up to 4-5 individuals is designed for survival through war, plague, etc. It is low cost, durable and practical. This shelter is designed for DIYers on a tight budget who will do most everything by hand. Instructions include numerous key details not evident on the plan: venting, roof framing, how to reduce excavation by 50%, drainage, water supply, etc. 20′ DIA (314 sq. ft. interior plus pantry)

I have helped 2 different people build this shelter (one was completely underground and the other was half under ground, which is a better way of building it in my opinion)

The design is simple, cheap (not counting the Swiss Air Filter and Blast Door), and very strong when built right. Despite the small foot print the two I helped build were quite rooming inside (if you are in the need of more room you can connect a few together, but that will take some tunnel engineering and I'm not qualified to talk about that)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Okay, well what about a shipping container that has been heavily coated with a waterproof coating, and surrounded with gravel for drainage? It should last long enough and be strong enough for that purpose. Put a swale around it to direct water away from it toward a lower area (build a slight mound over it if it's a flat grade)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

You mentioned tunnel engineering. I like the wine caves that vintners build. There are companies that bore into hillsides and use rebar mesh/shotcrete to construct the areas. Very cool, if you've just won the powerball.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit
If the tunnels aren't that deep there is an easier way to build a tunnel. It's an old way of doing it, but it's pretty strong too. I've built a style using the technique, but it wasn't underground.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
What about buying a garage and building underground?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

I like that

That would be a perfect size for our requirements

edit on 5-11-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join