It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
For the love of all that's holy could we please end using all these over the top cliches? If we can make it happen that would be awesome.
I think the use of cliches has been run into the ground and they are sucking the life blood out of the English language.
In my opinion, it seems that on ATS the use these pitiful cliches has spread like wildfire and should be avoided like the plague.
If I had a nickel for every goofy cliche that Ive heard on the boards, I would be tickled pink and richer than God.

I can't thank you enough from the bottom of my heart for listening to my rant and if we work like dogs, it should be a piece of cake to
bring our expression up a notch.

In this day and age, we have come full circle to think outside the box and make the world a better place. Let's band together and give it the old college try!!!

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I whole heartedly agree. Let's nip this is the bud. Time's a wastin'. We have bigger fish to fry.

Wait.

Nevemind.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I see what you did there. Aren't you the pot calling the kettle black?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Right. Lets censor that, too. Everyone has their favorite cliche. What are yours?

Even one?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Right. Lets censor that, too. Everyone has their favorite cliche. What are yours?

Even one?

Bless your heart!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Cliches are an excellent form of communication. One step up from words, one step removed from allegory. It is kind of like a psychological sweet spot that allows you to transmit your message much deeper into the psyche of the people you are communicating with.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I would be speechless

:-)

How do you feel about idioms?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Don't get all bent out of shape. A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet. As luck would have it there is nothing new under the sun - so say what you will, sit tight, let it ride and stop the presses. Tune in tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel because the more things change - the more they stay the same.

Salting wounds - sorry I just had to.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The Internet is designed for hyperbole

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Each to there own i suppose.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
If I had a penny for every time someone had a rant on ats about this...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You tell em!!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm glad everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet and not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
are sucking the life blood out of the English language.
spread like wildfire
should be avoided like the plague.
If I had a nickel for every
goofy cliche that Ive heard on the boards, I would
be tickled pink and richer than God.
bottom of my heart
work like dogs
piece of cake to
come full circle
think outside the box
band together
give it the old college try!!!

Obvious trolling.

:p

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
To each his own...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: intrptr

Even one?

Bless your heart!!!

"Ditto."

"Damned if you do and damned if you don't".

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I see what you mean olaru12.

However, while cliches may become tired, there are times when ones emotions reach such a peak that to formulate an original sentence would be either difficult, or impossible. God knows I have been there, although I try where possible to communicate in a useful and expansive manner where possible.

Some people find themselves reaching that point far faster than others, and although we might find it difficult to understand, such is the difference between our psychological structures and strengths, we have to give people the space to communicate their truth as freely and honestly as they can. If that means cliches, or truisms, or what have you, then that is something I personally have no problem with. I would rather hear the cliche and know a measure of a persons mind, than hear nothing and have to wonder what they are really thinking!

It has to be said also, that although they may become tired and threadbare through over use, cliches are effective methods of communicating a concept when other words fail. I think the main reasons that cliches even develop in the first place, is that once they are first uttered and spread, people become aware of just how effective they are at communicating a concept quickly, with the minimum of fuss and personal involvement with the creation of the phrase itself. It is their very usefulness and versatility, which make them so damned tempting as an option in discourse.

That said, I agree that when one is trying to communicate in detail, they are not ideal, and there are better ways, in nearly every scenario, of getting ones point across, than to copy paste ones communication in, rather than composing something more contextually specific.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
All I have to say is.............

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Tune in tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel

WOOHOO! I love how you used that
I loved watching that show Saturday mornings, sure it was reruns but it was the only time I didn't mind getting up really early. Batman was the only superhero I liked for the longest time.

On topic:

I'm sorry you don't like cliches but they are a major part of how we communicate, more so for some people. It would be like telling people they can't say puns or platitudes.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This is the most fun I have had scrolling through ATS.
I happen to like "cliches" but.. To each their own.
After airing your dirty laundry, its good to clear the air and wipe the slate clean.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join