It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK specific prepping.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: bigpaul

Yes, it's the "when" part that's the problem. I agree on the technology issue - a sudden loss of only a fraction of the total energy supply would have a massive "cascade" effect. I personally believe that it would not take much of a "hiccup" to knock over the first domino, and then total collapse could ensue within months, if not weeks.

The systems are so inter-dependant, and, irrespective of what anybody THINKS, the ONLY infinite source of external energy is the sun. ALL other energy we use is finite, and therefore MUST go away at some point. Judging by the lengths we are going to, to scrape the bottom of the oil barrel - fracking, tar- sands, shale etc, I think the "when" will be sooner, rather than later. Reduction of the world oil supply will knock that first domino over.
edit on 7/11/2014 by odaeio because: Add to post

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: odaeio yes, only I refer to it as the "domino" effect, one thing however happens, that affects something else which in turn affects something else, so on and so forth. humans are using up the resources of the planet so fast that should an event happen those resources are no longer available again(or are in so short a supply that it is the same), people will not know about it until "the collapse" comes and then for most its too late. only those who take the time to think about survival and prepping will have even a chance of surviving, for the rest-the ignorant, the undecided, the "it'll never happen" its already too late.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

this is just a MASSIVE generalisation.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: odaeio

do you REALLY think that no one will molest your precious land // resources ??

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: odaeio

do you REALLY think that no one will molest your precious land // resources ??

Oh, no, I never said that! I have every confidence that everyone will be killing everyone else in the scramble for precious resources, whether that is starving people within cities, or countries warring with each other.

As is so-called "human nature", I also have every confidence that countries would rather squander 10 times more "resources" on "war", than what they could ever hope to gain by doing so!

Has never made much sense to me, but since I know many, many people who clearly believe it's "common-sense" to drive 20 miles, and spend the dollars/pounds on the driving, to save a few cents/pennies on half a dosen toilet rolls at the "cheaper" supermarket, rather than save the fuel and pay the "exorbitant" prices at the local corner store, I can accept that that will be the reality.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson nope its not, its just a sign of the times, most people don't "get it" and never will, most people think "it'll never happen" and live their mundane little lives, they just cannot see the bigger picture.

posted on Nov, 10 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

edit on 10-11-2014 by Dem0nc1eaner because: Removed post

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Actually I think you are forgetting one of the biggest conduits for a breakdown - haulage. You only have to remember the truckers strike over petrol and the blockades of the fuel refineries to realise just how our small country can be ground to a halt.

Having lived through and remembering the unrest of the 70's and the rolling blackouts, the short working week and the need to make every penny count - I do not diss the need to be prepared - just in case. Our society lives on a flexible knife edge and anyone that takes anything for granted is either an optimist with rose coloured specs or a bloody fool.

If you have ever watched Threads, War Book, Survivors or even documentaries on how the UK Gov would deal with an emergency you will realise that they have not a clue and are only looking to preserve power. In 2008 when the loan bubble burst and we had the big crash Mr Brown was concerned there could be unrest and was considering - shall we say - unprecedented measures if the bail out didn't work. I remain unconvinced it worked though just delayed the inevitable.

You mention in your OP that most will elect to stay in their own homes and starve. However, I would ask - where are they to bug out to? I actually believe that many will run to the hills and become the Golden Hoard that swamp the countryside - believing that it will be their salvation. There is little understanding of modern day farming and still hold an idyllic view point of the countryside.

I actually think you have a more viable chance of surviving in a shtf scenario if you form a community within your road or housing block. I also think you might be surprised with the skills that are available within your immediate community.

The one issue that has been bugging me is rubbish and what to do with it. Once everything that can be reused and recycled there is going to be a certain amount that is left over. I am currently at a loss as to what to do with it so that it doesn't become a beacon to those you do not wish to attract. Possibly an alternative thread?

S

posted on Aug, 30 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Retikx

No we are not.
I have weapons a place to bug out too and enough dry rations for a year all 20 mins from my house.
I wonder if you are an american who thinks we are defenceless? .

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join