It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Researching Chimeras (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:14 AM
link   
This is an interesting article about how scientists are mixing various parts of humans with other animals (mainily pigs and mice). It's quite a long read but very interesting. Pigs that have 100% human blood or mice with a human brain.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The potential power of chimeras as research tools became clear about a decade ago in a series of dramatic experiments by Evan Balaban, now at McGill University in Montreal. Balaban took small sections of brain from developing quails and transplanted them into the developing brains of chickens.

The resulting chickens exhibited vocal trills and head bobs unique to quails, proving that the transplanted parts of the brain contained the neural circuitry for quail calls. It also offered astonishing proof that complex behaviors could be transferred across species.

In one ongoing set of experiments, Jeffrey L. Platt at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., has created human-pig chimeras by adding human-blood-forming stem cells to pig fetuses. The resulting pigs have both pig and human blood in their vessels. And it's not just pig blood cells being swept along with human blood cells; some of the cells themselves have merged, creating hybrids.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

During the read all I could think about was the ethical morality of it all. You know on one hand all the religious zelots will be up in arms, on the other the scientific community will be saying how good it's going to be for the human race to cure illness.

I also think about the consequences of creating a creature with human thought ability (which was mentioned briefly in the article). At what point do we stop playing God??

[edit on 10-12-2004 by rancid1]

EDIT: ALL CAPS TITLE

[edit on 9-4-2005 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
The toys are out the box and they are going to be played with whether we, the public, know about it or not.
The temptation of a bank of pigs producing a profitable resource of human blood is too tempting for the board of director types. They will be wired up 24/7 and constantly drained of blood like a milking cow.

I'm not sure where the quail brains in chickens thing is going though, that has a real Island of Dr. Marou feel to it. Maybe they will develop a super race of quail/chickens for their creamy quail/chicken eggs - to sell at a profit.
The quail/chickens will run the factory, of course, with their rudimentry genetically enhanced intelligence.

Don't worry, it's all for improved living - better, faster, safer, healthier and the lame shall walk again!

[edit on 10-12-2004 by shanti23]

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I find your opinion to be an interesting one. You make a good point with the "playing god" complex. However, hybrids- mix strains have been shown to have higher immune systems and many other perks to creating a chimera. Look at dog breeds for example. There has been too much inbreeding within "pure bred" strains. When you start crossing genes and creating new breeds it has less flaws. My work happens to have chimera mice. They seem to be more resistant to disease and also anesthesia. Chimera humans are very rare but are possible. They have two separate sets of DNA in the systems. They are quite fascinating and they are also not created by human intervention but are a natural anamoly.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
With global population expanding at a record pace, and with some experts saying our natural resources are being depleated, at what point do we decide to stop trying to cure every single disease and instead let nature and God take its course?

I don't mean to sound evil. I have family members who are diabetic and some who have survived cancer. I think we should constantly be exploring new ways to help those who are ill and help people overcome pain and disabilities. But at what point do we stop? Do we need people living to 150 years old? Do we need a cure for everything? Is it worth experimenting on animals and mixing species just for the hope of curing something down the road?

I think we really should take a step back and look and what we're doing and what is best for the world as a whole.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I can see how making chimeras is both bad and good. To tell the truth it seems human history has been leading up to it for a while. Pretty soon they might be making humans with bird wings.

new topics

top topics

join