It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gridlock is the problem not either parties political idealology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The problem with the USA political government is that we have two parties where members have to align themselves with hard political positions rather than doing what they think is right or what is just plain right. As our democracy has matured and as media has brought the political voices into our daily lives the politicians have had to stop doing what they think is right and instead follow strict party lines so they can get reelected. We the people wont vote for someone who may stray from any of our political hard line positions establish by each party.

Now the republicans will have all the congress and the Democrats have the Presidency. I doubt very seriously if Obama is going to sign legislation brought to him by this new congress unless he can get some of what he wants in the laws as well. This is the gridlock that is destroying us.

I am independent for the most part but often find myself leaning liberal on several issues. I may however just go ahead and vote GOP for President in 2016 in hopes of ending the gridlock. We cannot just let this huge powerful nation wonder through history with no corrections or changes as we will just fall apart.

How about a NO party system where a man is a man (or woman) and votes and speaks as he see's fit? Just disband the party system and let men stand on their own positions. Let voters have diversity in the candidates they vote for.

It is our two party system I believe that is turning our politicians into turds. They are cut from one of two cookie cutters, all shaped and formed the same. We need to throw out the cookie cutters and just throw the dough on the pan and let it become what it is.

You cannot be for higher minimum wage and the right to bear arms and get elected and that is a shame. You cannot be for lower investment tax and for pro choice and get elected. You have to pick all the same positions as every other candidate in your party to even have a chance to get elected.

We have a system that traps our elected officials, it prevents them from doing the right thing or making compromise to get things that need doing, done. The two party system is almost subversion of our government.

The two parties equate to blackmail of our elected officials. Vote our way or we wont give you money to get elected again.

It causes gridlock and that will destroy us in the long run. I guess it is better to just elect everyone of the same party so at least we can get the most essential things done even if not exactly as you would like it done.

Heck, politicians today jump from party to party and no one seems to notice. Crist for example supported impeachment of Clinton yet he became a Dem so Clinton came and campaigned for him. That is nuts...it shows how deeply our system is flawed and corrupt.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Complacency, apathy, a sense of hopelessness, corruption and divide and conquer is the problem I hear, peace and love, tolerance, etc and we're still embroiled in a two-party fight.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I like that idea of yours. Even better get rid of them all and let the people themselves vote on the law. In this age that is quite possible. The corps would have to lobby the public themselves not an individual.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

A "no party system" sounds ideal. Party whips keep individuals who want to follow their views rather than the party line in check.

Unfortunately, I do not believe that is going to occur.

People of like views tend to 'hang' with those of similar views. They will organize in some form no matter what.

A benefit of 'parties' is the ability to trump 'powerful'/rich individuals who could outspend and 'out-bribe' the average citizen running for office.

There is protection for the individual within a party, without which that individual would be irrelevant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is there's downsides either way.

I do not believe 'gridlock' is that bad a thing. It can be looked at as a proper result to no clear mandate by the people. It has downsides, but really reflects the split in views by the people.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

The "problem" you perceive is actually the "solution" for monied interests.

-They don't want people to vote at all. They want a population consisting of the apolitical and conscientious objectors. Corporates intend to fully capture all workings of government and displace anything meaningful about the "democratic" process.

That will be achieved through illegal poll manipulations, gerrymandering, two party collusion, propaganda and selective use of obstructionism. The two party collusion is a strategy designed to divide the populace at nearly 50/50 on key issues to distract from the corporate machinery working.

The US is not a functioning democracy as such. It's gone.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
All I know is this midterm election has likely locked us into 2-4 maybe 10 (Hillary with GOP congress) more years of gridlock and I cannot see how that is good for us. I don't have any hope the politicians will do what is right.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
NO! The problem is you... those of you who still REFUSE to see what is so apparent... you are not as FREE as they tell you you are.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Be happy with a two party system. At least something gets done sometimes.

Out here in the Netherlands ( European member state) the word Poldermodel, is used to describe continuous discussion and debate until all parties are satisfied in the end.

Or in other words. Our political system has probably 7 parties and maybe a dozen small useless wannabe parties... ( an elderly party, an animal rights party, sitting chairman that cut their ropes to the party they were supposed to be a political voice for in the first or second,( mostly second) government chamber,with distinct political ideologies, that try to get a majority in government by democratic elections.

You don't get a majority by votes with so many options for voters to vote for.

So the next step is working together with other parties to achieve a majority. It gives small parties which are important to get that extra chair and form a majority... way to much power compared to the votes they got. If they are a divisive number on the chart, they will demand things they want to change.

The other option is working with another big party getting ego's rubbing with to many contradicting ideas.
This leads to striking down every interesting thing any single party had for voters to vote for them as a party, and only the normal things actually go on without much change, and with endless debate.

So you either get a majority of people bow down to the wishes of a few, or you get a majority of people getting disappointed about every possible good point they voted for to get erased for another 4 years, So bigger parties are able to work together without rubbing each others nerves, leaving them more or less crippled boring political leadership, in a country where nobody gets satisfied.

When a system is set for results that do not satisfy anyone, what the hell can that lead to in the end ?

Not even mentioning the power and influence Europe actually has, takes and claims which is handed to it or offered without much drama at all. Making our whole political system basically a waste of money, of time and most of all a ridiculous scene from a slap stick movie, where people try to create the appearance for the country or probably more for themselves, that they mean anything, and that they've got something to say.

I can't even count the number of down grades for our way of life that have taken place, with so little to ask at first or even still every time.... People don't mind or care or understand what they have given away, get taken from or even been made to believe a lie for them to get something stolen from... While the people that did it not only admit they done, but say they would do it again too...

Damnit... Politics suck.

But it beats getting born in a conflict zone or among another 500.000.000 people in poverty.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: HUMBLEONE

Thank you, thank you, it is nice to see people that see what is going on in the nations politics for what they are.

Is an illusion of and illusion and nothing else.

The role of politicians is to get in power, pocket the money they are given to keep their benefactors happy, the true power in the nation is a corporate dictatorship, we the people are powerless against this power and a reason why politicians once elected forget that we even exists unless is to crap all over us while stepping all over us because they get to make polices and pass laws then ram them up our rear ends.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Don't you get it, it doesn't have to be good for us, it never has been that way, is good for those that politicians are bought for to perpetuate the elite agendas.

It has never been about us, the commoners.

new topics

top topics

join