It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Rising GOP Star Congresswoman Mia Love

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

University of Hartford (CT) graduate. Haitian heritage. Raised Roman Catholic and is now Mormon. Married with three children. Executive experience as a member of city council and as city mayor. Fiscal conservative. Personal responsibility platform. Wants limited small government. Pro life. Pro second amendment rights. Believes in a free market system. Her personal job ethic motto - "she asks herself three questions whenever she approaches an issue, "Is it affordable? Is it sustainable? Is it my job?".

She is the first black woman to be elected as a Republican to the U.S. House of Representatives.

Left wing Mother Jones tried to claim she wasn't a US citizen but had to retract the story due to inaccuracies.

Congresswoman Mia Love WIki

Ludmya Bourdeau "Mia" Love (born December 6, 1975) is an American politician, she is the representative-elect for Utah's 4th Congressional district. She was the former mayor of Saratoga Springs, Utah and was the 2012 Republican Party nominee for the United States House of Representatives in Utah's 4th congressional district. In 2012 she ran on a fiscally conservative platform of limited government and placed a heavy emphasis on personal responsibility during her campaign. She was also a speaker at the 2012 Republican National Convention.

On May 18, 2013, Love said that she would run again in 2014.[1] Upon being sworn in as a member of the United States Congress, she will be the first Haitian American and first black[2][3] female Republican ever elected to Congress. Love won the Republican nomination in the 4th Congressional district at the April 26th, 2014 Utah Republican convention. She won election to the House of Representatives from the 4th District of Utah, defeating Democratic opponent Doug Owens.

FOX - Mia Love Wins Race for Utahs 4th Congressional District

“Many people have reminded me that tonight is not the end of the race; it is just the end of the beginning,” Love stated. “As your representative, I am not going to ask you to trust Washington—I am going to convince Washington to trust you. As Utahns, we know best how to spend our hard earned money, raise our families, educate our children, keep the promises made to our seniors, and help those in need. I pledge to work every day to keep the federal government out of your lives, out of your pockets, and out of your way so you can run toward your own American Dream.”

People Magazine - Mia Love, Daughter of Haitian Immigrants, Will Be GOP's First Black Woman in Congress

Tonight you have made history!" Utah's Mia Love told supporters after winning the state's 4th House district. "Many of the naysayers out there said that Utah would never elect a black Republican LDS (Latter Day Saint) woman to Congress. Not only did we do it, we were the first to do it!"

Love, 38, who also will be the first Haitian-American to serve in the Capital, was surrounded by her husband, Jason, and their kids: Alessa, 14; Abigail, 11; and Peyton, 7.

The Hill - Mia Love Wins Utah House Seat

Love, who is the former mayor of Saratoga Springs, defeated Democrat Doug Owens in an open race to succeed retiring Rep. Jim Matheson (D), by 49 to 47 percent, according to The Associated Press.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Congratulations to her for being the first GOP black woman in the House.

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Wants limited small government. Pro life.

Another republican who wants government small enough to fit in a woman's uterus.

Not too long ago, she wouldn't have been legally permitted to marry her white husband, and before that, she wouldn't have been allowed to marry at all. How nice (read hypocritical) of her to support denying marriage rights to other people...

"I pledge to work every day to keep the federal government out of your lives, out of your pockets, and out of your way ...”

... but IN your womb and in your marriage.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Why have the Democrats not assassinated her yet?

Woman, black, intelligent, Mormon and Republican. They can't stand it when the first three are found in one person, let alone the last two.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Yeah, yeah, yeah, she's just self-loathing and deluded.

Whatever, it's 2014. Move on already.

And your womb and marriage are only in my life because you choose to use the law to inject them into it.

I could care less what goes on in your uterus so long as you don't expect me to pay for it or approve of it and so long as you don't murder an innocent child because you don't take responsibility for what can happen because of what goes on in your womb.

And when it comes to marriage, I'll let you have the legal equalities, but you don't get to force me to take part in it and you don't get to force me to approve of whatever you decide to call a marriage. I hold to the definition that marriage is one man and one woman, and if you demand respect for any people who love each other, I demand respect for one man and one woman. Whatever happened to coexist? I guess it ends when you can use the law to force me to participate in your preferred beliefs.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Not too long ago, she wouldn't have been legally permitted to marry her white husband, and before that, she wouldn't have been allowed to marry at all. How nice (read hypocritical) of her to support denying marriage rights to other people...

Yes, how ironic that she is fighting against the liberals, who fought for her right to marry who she wanted (a white man).

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I could care less what goes on in your uterus so long as you don't expect me to pay for it or approve of it and so long as you don't murder an innocent child because you don't take responsibility for what can happen because of what goes on in your womb.

That's a bit ridiculous isn't it? I think you should drop the "I don't care what goes on in your uterus" if you're going to immediately give a list of reasons why you do.

And when it comes to marriage, I'll let you have the legal equalities, but you don't get to force me to take part in it and you don't get to force me to approve of whatever you decide to call a marriage.
[...]
I guess it ends when you can use the law to force me to participate in your preferred beliefs.

Is that anything like how the right supports using the law to force people to accept the definition of marriage you favor by denying other people their rights to define it for themselves?

back on topic!

a reply to: FlyersFan

Saying that somebody "believes in a free market" is meaningless — both parties are heavily neoliberal. The "free market" is one of the most subjective terms around. Most often it's basically just shorthand for saying you want to privatize everything and gut the EPA, OSHA, etc while continuing subsidization to anyone that isn't in the alternative energy sector.

I'm not sure that being a member of the Mormon cult is a laudable quality. In a way, the LDS has parallels with the conservativism in that in recent decades, they've both had to back off their racism to increase their membership.

EDIT:

I should add that labeling somebody as "Pro 2nd Amendment" is also largely a useless. There's no real national debate on gun ownership and there's no popular support for further restrictions on gun ownership. It's just something that comes up for a couple weeks following mass/spree shootings. It's so predictable.

The media reports on an "active shooter."
The fake debate ensues before anyone even knows what has happened.
Politicians make meaningless statements.
The NRA gets some new members.
Firearm sales spike.
Rinse and repeat.
edit on 2014-11-5 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And your womb and marriage are only in my life because you choose to use the law to inject them into it.

Just a few years ago, the fight for marriage equality looked incredibly bleak. More than half of all states had banned same-sex marriage through ballot initiatives or legislation, with some states going so far as to inscribe same-sex marriage bans into their constitutions.

www.motherjones.com...

In recent years, abortion restrictions on the state level have made abortion harder to access and harder to afford, making it just as inaccessible to many women as it would be if it were outright illegal.

www.alternet.org...

Don't act like conservatives have never used laws to inject their personal beliefs.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Another republican who wants government small enough to fit in a woman's uterus.

At least she's not another democrat who wants to get into everyone else's wallets and bank accounts. Both republicans and democrats have issues that overstep boundaries and are intrusive. Both want control.

She can be pro life in her sentiments. That's fine. Roe V Wade wont' be overturned. So it's irrelevant. She is anti-marriage equality. That almost doesn't matter either because the wave for marriage equality is here and she couldn't stop it (I don't know if she'd be trying to or not). It's coming and people will have to get used to it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I'm not sure that being a member of the Mormon cult is a laudable quality. In a way, the LDS has parallels with the conservativism in that in recent decades, they've both had to back off their racism to increase their membership.

I'm not saying it's good or bad. I'm just posting her facts. (I was surprised to see a black person enter the mormon church, considering their racist beliefs not too long ago). She's a 'rising star' with the GOP and she'll be in the political news a lot in the next few elections. Might as well know who she is.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

She can be pro life in her sentiments. That's fine. Roe V Wade wont' be overturned.

That's exactly why it's pointless to say a politician is "Pro-life." Similarly, there practically no chance of there being any drastic restrictions on gun ownership either so saying somebody is "Pro Second Amendment rights" is also pointless.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Wow, you're really just foaming at the mouth right now, aren't you?

That was a really crude thing to say.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

She can be pro life in her sentiments. That's fine. Roe V Wade wont' be overturned. So it's irrelevant.

It may not be overturned, but conservatives keep legislatively trying to find sneaky ways to work around it. That makes it very relevant. See Texas, for example.

Texas has been a leader among a number of states that have enacted new requirements for abortion clinics. The states say the laws are meant to protect a woman’s health, but Northup and others have called them “shams” meant only to make abortion less accessible.

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
You had me at fiscal conservative

Given our constitution, fiscal conservative is the only real conservative.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

Wow, you're really just foaming at the mouth right now, aren't you?

That was a really crude thing to say.

Foaming? Crude? Whaaaat?

Fact: Mia Love is a black woman married to a white man.

Fact: Interracial marriage was banned by law in many states before 1967. Gradually, some of the more liberal states removed the ban, but the more conservative states maintained the ban until they were forced to remove it with the 1967 Supreme Court decision (Loving vs Virginia).

Fact: Liberals were against the marriage ban, conservatives were all for it. Especially southern conservatives.

Just making an observation. Certainly no foaming going on over here.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Absolutely.

But thanks to the Republican Party, she is not a slave, she can marry, she can vote, and she can serve in Congress.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Another tool, another name, another suit.

I don't expect anything from her. She's another politician in someone's pocket. Let this rising star fall back to Earth and crash and burn.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

How ironic that liberals are trying to champion a black woman's right to marry at all?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: StarGazer77

Wasn't LBJ the one who bragged about getting black people to vote Democrat for the next 200 years? I won't post the exact quote here though, google it. I would post it if we were talking about a Republic or Conservative because then it would be acceptable to show their hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Another tool, another name, another suit.

I don't expect anything from her. She's another politician in someone's pocket. Let this rising star fall back to Earth and crash and burn.

Typical insult from the Left on the issue of the Black Conservative...

You speak of the same hatred for black Republicans as the KKK did...I wonder why that is...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: StarGazer77

Because I don't subscribe to the Left or Right debate?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join