It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Smell Of Oxygen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I know for a fact that when you sniff a smell for a while, your nose gets used to the odour, then how can we tell that oxygen is truly odourless? Same with helium.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
While I do not know 'why' oxygen is oderless by itself,...

an interesting tid bit,..

Ozone (O3), a highly active compound with a name derived from the Greek word for 'I smell', is formed by the action of an electrical discharge or ultraviolet light on oxygen.

chemistry.about.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Maybe this is just how oxygen smells

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
ozone smells a bit like chlorine too

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Air is mostly nitrogen, and I'm assuming you're talking about air, not pure oxygen, right?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
for us, air is odourless, when something else is ouderless we are comparing it to the smell of air.

personally i think this isnt true, air smells different everywhere you go. Australia stinks! sweden smells nice though

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
An electrical discharge(in air) creates ozone. When people mention something like they can smell aftermath of a discharge, they tend to attribute it to almost smelling electricity. I guess because that's what see when they detect the smell, so it just gets associated with it. They're really just smelling the ozone that was created. So, go create some sparks and take a big whiff. Well, maybe not that big of a whiff. Ozone is deadly to say the least, and to much would kill you.

But, ozone is made of three atoms. For actually oxygen, find someone who doesn't breathe to well, and 'borrow' their oxygen tank.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I do not remember of noticing the smell of oxygen, but the last time I had to breath oxygen from a tank it was some 25 years ago. Also, they usually make the oxygen go trough water, so that we can breath oxygen with a little moisture.

E_T

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
You have to remember oxygen is normally in form which consists from two oxygen atoms binded together. (O2)

Ozone is entirely different, that third atom is binded very slightly and it can easily separate from molecule which results normal O2 molecule and single oxygen atom.
Now this single oxygen atom reacts very easily, in fact in human body it causes cell damage because it breaks molecular bonds when reacting with atoms in molecules of human body.

If you know gas welding you might have heard that oxygen used in it can have little other compound in it to make it smell so that you can detect leak because there's no way to smell oxygen itself.
That's because oxygen leak is very dangerous because oxygen rich air makes everything combustible to explode to flames when ignited and makes possible burning of some materials which normally don't burn.

top topics

join