It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting data on 2014 midterm voter turnout

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I gladly voted Seagull, so if you're preaching, you're doing so to the converted.

However, the righteousness of voting is also overblown; Americans who didn't vote are STILL Americans.

What's disgusting and despicable is what happens whenever one party "wins" (and we saw this in 2008 with the Democrats).

"We have a MANDATE from the People (well, in the Republican's case, it might also be "from on High.")."

No, you don't have a mandate from anyone. If you won and are on your way to the Red Congress this time, you received at best 52% of 29% of registered voters, and less than that of "the People."

(If anyone needs help with the math there, 0.52x0.29=0.1508, or 15%)

15% of the People, total, does not a mandate make.

Tuesday's elections were decided by just over 2.2 million votes nationwide.

That's only 5% of the people that voted, and less than 1% of the electorate.

And those are just simple facts.

posted on Nov, 8 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Oh, there's a lot more to making the govt. work than just voting every couple of years... That's only where it starts.

I do tend to get a bit preachy on this topic. Sorry, it's not something I'll ever be able to stop doing...
. Kind of a condition...

Govt., good govt anyway, requires oversight by the governed. We have to be involved at every level. If we aren't? This is what we get. A govt. less, and less, responsive to our will than ever before...

The good thing is, its easily enough fixed, if we really want to. It'll just take a bit of work on the part of more than 30% of the citizenry who can be bothered...

Oversight. Involvement. Those are the keys.

Sorry, preachy again...

<< 6  7  8   >>

join