It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting data on 2014 midterm voter turnout

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: tavi45

Yep, Republicans, the party that is so racist/sexist they elected Tim Scott, Mia Love, Shelley Moore Capito, Nikki Haley, and Joni Ernst last night.

I wonder what all those old white men were thinking?

And Texas elected Will Hurd to the House. And, he's black and Republican.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: ketsuko

No. That's why I've never missed a payment. It was predatory. The interest rate jumped wildly after the first year. I didn't realize until the interest in payments became an issue after I had to put more on the card when i was laid off.

I don't think the government should pay my debt. I never said that once. Nobody paid off my debt except me. I just think credit cards, student loans and other forms of debt should be more transparent and shouldn't be marketed in a predatory way to children.

Just wondering, but how did you never miss a payment when you were unemployed, and you stated earlier your parents never helped you pay.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
The Republican Party is becoming a White Male Identity Party. It's largely fear based. Fear of the growing power of Women and the declining percentage of Whites in the U.S. population. Most may not even realize what has motivated their shift in political thought. It's all about fear and fighting a growing sense of loss of potency.

This is why voter nullification has become such a widely adopted strategy. The once unchallengeable majority fears a future where they are no longer the majority. Demonization of "The Other" helps to consolidate the movement, but it also makes cooperation across the isle nearly impossible.

This isn't a sign of widespread, deep seated racism. It's an anxiety fueled undercurrent that the Power Elite have very deftly tapped into and helped shape. We may not be heading the way of Nazi Germany, but if you study the history of the rise of the Nazi party, you can see many parallels.

Economic unease helps to fuel the fear and allow the Elite to turn people against one another. This is why, contrary to old party stereotypes, the modern Republican Party has been devoted to the economic destruction of the U.S. Middle Class. As they have reigned in the economy, they have also decreased the tax burden on the most wealthy, so that the Elite can escape the pain of the economic decline they foment.

Personal political philosophy is really moot. Conservative American Politics has been co-opted by the power elite and is used as a blind to obfuscate their consolidation of power and the ongoing process of redistributing wealth from the ever shrinking middle class into the coffers of the Apex Elite. They have deftly redirected the suspicions of those most wary of the loss of personal freedoms to centralized power away from those who truly wish to subjugate them and towards a number of straw man scapegoats.

edit on 5-11-2014 by Totemic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

More sour grapes and racism. The race card stays out no matter what, right?

It seems that liberals still try to claim minorities, women, illegals, and young people as "their" voters, as it every member of those groups votes democrat.

Grow up already.

Actually, when it comes to the subject of race as related to voter turnouts, it's not playing the race card at all. Non-whites are some of the most disenfranchised voters in the nation and have been for a long while. In the subjects of voter participation, it is a big piece of the puzzle. If you think that it's a "race card" issue, then I'm guessing that you've never taken Political Science.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Wait so cutting the credit card magically erases one's debts?

It sounds like you learned responsibility by growing up in a great environment. Sadly many children are not so lucky. So in other words the luck of one's birth is crucial to success. In your opinion anyone born into a broken home or into a family with lots of debt or any other misfortune of birth should be left in poverty and squalor? The horror stories far outweigh the success stories.

Give credit where credit is due. You were born into a stable white family with money. Let's not pretend your situation now is 100% due to your actions.

In general children learn from their environment. I'm saying let's build an environment where all children have a chance not just the lucky ones. Who the hell do you think they learned "buy now pay later" from. You realize that a mortgage is debt right? So is anyone who didn't but their house in cash a fool?

Bottom line is you get wildly angry for generalizing about Republicans (who are a group entered by choice by adults) but think it's perfectly acceptable to generalize about entire generations of children (who have no control over their situation by the nature of being a child) as well as minorities (who had no say in their skin color or country of origin).

Please continue. I enjoy being proved right.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

It seems that liberals still try to claim minorities, women, illegals, and young people as "their" voters, as it every member of those groups votes democrat.

Grow up already.

Actually, when it comes to the subject of race as related to voter turnouts, it's not playing the race card at all. Non-whites are some of the most disenfranchised voters in the nation and have been for a long while. In the subjects of voter participation, it is a big piece of the puzzle. If you think that it's a "race card" issue, then I'm guessing that you've never taken Political Science.

The fact that you are referencing a college class as a source of authority tells me a lot about your indoctrination.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

Grow up already.

The fact that you are referencing a college class as a source of authority tells me a lot about your indoctrination.

My professor opened the class with his potential conflicts of interest and always noted when his own conflict could pose a slant of bias to a subject. He was a white male, btw.
edit on 5/11/14 by WhiteAlice because: fixed oopsed quote

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

You left out the biggest group out there the productive class within 29 to 60, that are the ones paying for all the benefits and taxes without getting anything in return but more taxes. that group is the one that keeps the economy going.

I wonder why.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

So, now your family is a bad family? And you are blaming them?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Being a white male means nothing. Look at tavi45. He's playing the victim card with the best of them.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

i think it might be cheap to question someones racial credibility. Just sayin'.

Im not a college graduate. I have "made it" to a solid middle class life (coming from poor as dirt oilfield trash) solely because I work smarter and harder than those around me.

It isn't a secret formula. Work hard, work smart, be valuable, you get paid for it. I "work" for a Mexican man who has me reporting to a woman. So there isn't some kind of "racist manifesto" that business leaders always follow. As a a middle aged, self made white male, i am all to happy to fall inline behind them, too.

So many broad generalizations in this thread. Nevermind the lunacy of folks dragging out the tired old "republican" and "democrat" argument. The generaliations about what a black or a white man can and cannot do....dumbfounding.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Totemic
The Republican Party is becoming a White Male Identity Party. It's largely fear based. Fear of the growing power of Women and the declining percentage of Whites in the U.S. population. Most may not even realize what has motivated their shift in political thought. It's all about fear and fighting a growing sense of loss of potency.

Only one small problem. Its not just white men who vote Republican. The Democrat leaning media doesn't like to report it often, but the fact is, exit polling data shows that a solid majority of white women also vote Republican. Yesterday, white women voted Republican by a 56-42 margin. Its not an anomaly, either. You''ll actually find that its been true for years. You may have to click on 'exit polls' to find it.

And just to add, another thing that really jumps off the page looking at those stats...it isn't just the old farts voting Republican, either. The GOP even won the 18-29 year old whites by a 54-43 margin.

edit on 5-11-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Being a white male means nothing. Look at tavi45. He's playing the victim card with the best of them.

The subject was about playing the race card and the subject of voter and civic participation for African Americans. He said indoctrination. I pointed out that my prof notified of conflicts of interest. His own race and gender was not one of those in regards to the subject.

It's also a lazy way to avoid digging up a ton of research papers from over the years on the issues with voting and the African American community. It's been a longtime observation that, for as much effort was put into that particular group within the US so that they could be able to vote, they don't do it much. Trying to figure out why and how to motivate this group has a pretty obvious rationale outside of "race card". It's a large untapped pool of potential votes.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Ummm...when you can't pay it the first time you get rid of it and don't charge more....pretty simple.

And no...i wasn't born into it...i was adopted into it so I started out with challenges.

From your own words you live in a rich white hood, so please spare me the diatribe about how hard life is.

Yes, I did learn responsibility....again, this is not a Republican or Democrat thing....it's a responsibility and parenting thing. Just be case you didn't learn it, you can't blame republicans. It's on you.

And no...there is good and bad debt....a mortgage is considered good debt and will raise your credit.

Your argument is pretty ridiculous....blaming everyone else for every downfall in your own life.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

"From your own words you live in a rich white hood, so please spare me the diatribe about how hard life is. "

I never said my life was that hard. It wasn't a walk in the park either. More importantly I thought the situation you were born into doesn't matter and only your work does, so why call out the neighborhood I grew up in.
. You're sounding like a Democrat saying that my upbringing gave me an advantage.

Debt is debt is debt. You can't say my credit card debt is bad but a mortgage is good. It's the most nonsensical thing you've said yet. In no way is that possibly true. They are both "good" debt until you miss a payment. Again I'll repeat I never missed one in my whole life.

More importantly you're saying the second my income gets too low to support purchases I should stop purchasing. So you think I should starve to death because I got laid off. Thanks for clarifying that Republican position for me.

I was also adopted, so again nice try. Keep up with the "I'm good and hardworking and you're bad and lazy" personal attacks. You're really displaying how the mind of a Republican functions. Hypocrisy after hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

"So, now your family is a bad family? And you are blaming them?"

My family are good people. I do not blame them. Where did I blame them?

"Being a white male means nothing. Look at tavi45. He's playing the victim card with the best of them."

How am I playing the victim card? I'm perfectly happy with my life and satisfied with myself. I just think it's a shame that kids don't have the same opportunities their parents and grandparents have.

My mom and dad bought a beautiful house in an affluent community with just my dad's money from less than ten years of work. I don't know a single person my age who has even a small apartment of their own except my one ULTRA rich friend who got straight into a great position at JP Morgan thanks to his father's connections. Everyone else is in a shared living situation.

It's not the same world you all grew up in. You can blame the lazy kids all you want but we certainly didn't make it this way. I know it's tough taking responsibility but you might wanna consider it.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

Omfg. Seriously. Thanks for proving my point.

"Oh brother....seriously? Ok, so you have established you live in a rich, white neighborhood at this point. I am guessing you are either young and black, or just young. Why is it that you hate the "hood" you are in so much? Are you one of the privileged that is upset because of your privilege? "

Do you think I'm black or white? Come on just guess. I'm barely younger than you so that's meaningless.

As for handouts I've never used any government benefit and have paid taxes my whole life. I'm almost out of debt. I was given a predatory credit card in high school and it took me over a decade to get out of debt. I did it with only the help of my family and my own hard work.

This is in contrast with one of my best friends, a staunch Republican who was on unemployment for 2 straight years (he paid into it so its justified, unlike those lazy spics, his words not mine) until his parent's best friend gave him a job. The same guy have jobs to my friends sister, her husband, and three other white kids I know.

So please keep going with the personal attacks. I'm not afraid to share details if my life. I won't hide behind a mask of lies and anonymity like you Republicans love to.

Please don't slink off. I'm absolutely loving this.

I ran into a predatory credit card once in the southwest,came out of a box canyon at me.I was able to draw and shoot an arrow just in time!
Yes,I am one of those Republicans but I am not white and yes,my clan votes Republican also.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It was a walk in the park compared to most.

Debt is not debt and yes a mortgage is typically under a 6% interest rate and your credit card at likely 25% or more by the time you closed it out....that's considered bad debt. My 4.3% on my house, I can pay off a hell of a lot quicker than your 25%+ on your card....A. because I can afford it, and B. Because I do not live outside my means.

No...the second your income dies you should drop a credit card with 25% interest and find a job regardless....again it's called being a responsible adult. You don't have to be proud of your job, but get over your white privilege crap and work at a fast food restaurant....I am so sick of people saying there are no jobs when what it really is, is that they think certain jobs are beneath them.

You know what....if you are jobless...NO JOB SHOULD BE BENEATH YOU. Especially if you have responsibilities and debt to pay back.

Preach to whatever crowd you want to, but sympathy is something I have none of for you.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

"It was a walk in the park compared to most."

I thought everyone was equal and one's situation doesn't matter. It's a walk on the park being white compared to being black. That's just pulling the race card though right? Hypocrisy again

"I do not live outside my means."

How do you know I love outside my means? I used my credit card for gas and food primarily. I've lived my entire life with fewer possessions than anyone I know, literally anyone. I've never bought flashy clothes, expensive gaming systems (and I'm a huge gamer), my car is ancient. In fact everytime I've moved I've done it in one carload easily. Most of that space was my dresser and desk.

"You know what....if you are jobless...NO JOB SHOULD BE BENEATH YOU. Especially if you have responsibilities and debt to pay back."

I've worked at a library, a florist, grocery store, construction, a deli, doing data entry, helping seniors with computers, tutoring, as well as at several chain retail stores. I also took care of an old lady whose family neglected her in exchange for sleeping on the couch downstairs.

So in addition to both you and ketsuko assuming I'm black you've now made further assumptions that I'm some lazy ungrateful spoiled white kid who was waiting around for a dream job and piled up debt buying god knows what.

What do you Republican folk assume I bought? I love your wild assumptions. Did I buy a new car on my credit card or something? I can't even imagine what assumptions go through your head.

"Preach to whatever crowd you want to, but sympathy is something I have none of for you."

I'm not looking for sympathy from you. I don't need sympathy from anyone. I'm in a fantastic place in my life right now and couldn't be happier. I'm almost debt free which means I can rebuild my savings account.

Furthermore even if I was I know I'd get none from you. The Republican party draws in the people that have no sympathy for anyone unless they can identify perfectly with them. My sympathy is much less discriminating. You have my sympathy. I have no idea what it's like.

I've seen your attitudes from some of my less savory uncles or cousins. I've seen it from bosses, coworkers and friends. If you guys are so happy with your lives where is the rage coming from?

I'm happy and I have far less materially than most people. I have the respect of almost everyone who meets me. I have a loving family. I have a great love life. I have a job that fulfills and challenges me on a daily basis.

Hell I'm even going on a road trip with a friend to visit my best friend (who I haven't visited since he moved 12 hours away) for Thanksgiving. Then I'm gonna stay with my boyfriend for a few days while he's visiting a friend of his and then visit another friend after that who I haven't seen in 2 years. It will cost me less than a week of work since I live so frugally and will share expenses with my network of good friends. Life is damn good.

Money doesn't buy happiness. I hope the human race figures that out sometime soon. The world is dark enough already. That's why the Republicans are wrong. They are the party of Social Darwinism, even though they constantly do things to remove themselves from the playing field (corporate welfare and tax cuts for the rich anyone?).

The Democrat politicians are corrupt which is why I'm not a staunch Democrat (I've voted Republican in many elections). The true ideals of the progressives are righteous though. It's in the word itself. We want progress. The conservatives wasn't stagnation or even regression. We've finally reached a point in civilization where we could finally become more than animals. Stop trying to return to the past.

The past sucked. Just look at how the regression to the age of robber barons has hurt this nation. Let's move forward. We've already moved too far backwards. Let's ascend to the next level. We are almost something animals. Why do you want to be animals longer? Let's build utopia not dystopia. There are only two options and the choice is in front of us. By the end of this century we will either be living in a utopia or a nightmare far worse than any book or movie has ever imagined.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Great post and good on you. Rock on with your badass self!

Sorry....not one for pity...I tend to look at the future.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join