It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entering the Dark Age of the GOP in power

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Metallicus

What has the GOP EVER done? But cut taxes for the rich

End slavery?
Defeat the USSR?
Get us out of Vietnam after Dems got us in?
Stop the murder of unborn people?
TRY to stop Obamacare?

They haven't been able to do anything lately since Obama doesn't include them in anything. Now Obama and Democrats can own they last six years all by themselves and you saw the backlash today.

You left out a couple of things, like get us into two wars, one with complete lies. And actually Eisenhower got us into Vietnam, and he was a republican. Gee the Dems passed the civil rights act, seems like for someone who can remember the civil war, you have a short memory. Oh yeah they crashed the economy on 2007, that affected me personally, so yeah the republicans are bad.
edit on 11/6/2014 by BubbaJoe because: I felt like I needed too.

I am re reading this, stop the murder of unborn people, that in itself defines your agenda. Abortion has happened for 1000's of years in one way or another. Pro Choice people are not pro abortion, they simply want women to have a safe choice beyond the barbaric methods that have been practiced in the past. You can deny it all you want, but it is well documented. I am pro-choice, think the government has no dog in this fight.
edit on 11/6/2014 by BubbaJoe because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElohimJD
a reply to: Willtell

I am neither right or left, republican or democrat.

However surely you can see the extreme use of hyperbole in your OP, and the gross misunderstandings it reveals.

Each of your concerns are concerns voted on by the people.

In my state for example (Colorado) we are considered a "red" state; we have just elected a republican senator who sponsored a bill making abortions illegal.

The people voted the Senator in because he was the best guy to represent CO at the national level; those same people defeated the anti-abortion law (75% to 25%).

Just because a candidate wants something, doesn't mean they get it, the people still have the right to vote for their laws.

Both parties agree on women's rights and civil rights; only gay marriage can be considered a large discrepancy; but that has more to do with religion then politics.

I am sorry but I thought your post was a joke at first; how could anyone actually believe these things are going to happen...especially when we live in a country where the President can simply write an executive order to force the nation to remain under his design, regardless of house or senate partisan breakdowns.

God Bless,

The Iraq war caused the death of a million Iraqis, mostly innocent civilians, and 5000 American lives of our young people.

You may think these people just talk but reality proves otherwise...

The GOP and often dems are dangerous people who cause destruction to people.
IT’S A FACT whether you want to keep your head in the sand or not.

Food stamp cuts are real and other inhuman acts of these people

People die because of the lack of good health care that these barbarians stop and many other issues that demonstrates that to give them power is dangerous.

God Bless

Democrats were the leaders in the most destructive wars in history..WW1,WW2,Korea and Vietnam.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Anyone on here bitching about the Republicans had better have VOTED.

If you didn't vote, you have absolutely no right to complain.

Republican voters massively outnumbered Democrat voters this time around, Democrats just didn't seem interested enough to keep their politicians in their seats.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

However surely you can see the extreme use of hyperbole in your OP, and the gross misunderstandings it reveals.

In my state for example (Colorado) we are considered a "red" state; we have just elected a republican senator who sponsored a bill making abortions illegal.

The people voted the Senator in because he was the best guy to represent CO at the national level; those same people defeated the anti-abortion law (75% to 25%).

Just because a candidate wants something, doesn't mean they get it, the people still have the right to vote for their laws.

Both parties agree on women's rights and civil rights; only gay marriage can be considered a large discrepancy; but that has more to do with religion then politics.

I am sorry but I thought your post was a joke at first; how could anyone actually believe these things are going to happen...especially when we live in a country where the President can simply write an executive order to force the nation to remain under his design, regardless of house or senate partisan breakdowns.

God Bless,

The Iraq war caused the death of a million Iraqis, mostly innocent civilians, and 5000 American lives of our young people.

People die because of the lack of good health care that these barbarians stop and many other issues that demonstrates that to give them power is dangerous.

God Bless

Democrats were the leaders in the most destructive wars in history..WW1,WW2,Korea and Vietnam.

WW2 we had no choice, Vietnam started under Eisenhower, Korea under Truman, but we responded to the UN on that one, WW1, I cannot speak on. GWB started the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, straight up, ain't no one else you can blame that on.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sunwolf

Yeah, but you can hardly blame Wilson or Roosevelt for the world wars. I say that, and understand, I don't like either one of them a bit. I don't think I can blame Trumann for Korea, either. Plus, don't forget the civil war, the worst war in our history was presided over by a Republican, Abraham Lincoln.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: Sunwolf

God Bless,

God Bless

WW2 we had no choice, Vietnam started under Eisenhower, Korea under Truman, but we responded to the UN on that one, WW1, I cannot speak on. GWB started the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, straight up, ain't no one else you can blame that on.

The embargo on Japan by the democrat administration was the spark for the entry of the U.S. into WW11.How about just not embargo?Yes,there was a choice.
A great number of Americans wanted no part of WW1,in fact many sympathized with Germany,the war of 1812 still fresh in the American psyche.Vietnam was all JFK and LBJ.Eisenhower just had a few advisers and observers at the time.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Wow! You better move to someplace like Europe.

Yes i can see just how great Europe would if Europe were to be run by the Right Wing.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

The gutting of the safety net?

Be SPECIFIC. How and which part?

The gutting of the right to choose ?

Cannot be done without a Constitutional Amendment which is a VERY difficult process, it is also a states issue in may cases.

The gutting of Obamacare?

Good. Obamacare is a failure. Have you ever bothered to read the ONGOING economic and business impact of it?

The further ruination of the environment, the economy, human rights, civil rights, minority rights??

Republican voters are rejecting fracking too. The economy, human rights? Sorry but this hyperbole is infantile. You might as well say "Republicans also hate chocolate and cute kittens.

A stronger supporting of Israel?

Agreed. But Both Democrats and Repubs STRONGLY cheer for them. Don't dare single out Repubs

Laws that will favor Banksters and Koch type billionaires

Funny, you don't mention the 40 or so people and PAC groups RICHER than the Koch Bros who donated to the Democrats with an average of 4-1 ratio in money. And some VERY serious politicians willing to look and the banking industry and the Federal Reserve...are Republicans. It's a bipartisan want.

the death of the minimum wage?

How so. Which Republicans are fighting against minimum wage? Name them and point to any bills on the matter.

The impeachment of Obama?

And this is a bad thing becauuuuse??

Massive attack on woman rights and gay rights?

You said this before. Abortion and overturning Roe V. Wade would be an almost impossible task. Gay Rights? You are correct. The Repubs are obsessed with 'the gays'. But luckily the Supreme Court and States have largers says in the matter.

The civil rights movement and affirmative action will be set back years?

Civil Rights went out the window with the Democrats. In fact the original 60s Dems HATED the Civil Rights movement. Name ONE "Civil Right" Republicans are trying to take away. And Affirmative Action is a racist, out-dated idea which time has come.

IF a GOP president gets in with these maniacs most assuredly you will have ten 911’s?

How so? We still don't really know what happened on 9/11, so that point is moot.

WWIII a certainty and possibly the destruction of the world as we know it?

Quite possible, Neoconservatives are warmongers. But look at the Dems historically. Both parties are warmongers.

All kinds of crazy anti-human bills that will set back the US and the world centuries?

Anti Human? Like what? You might as well say "Bills against Baby Jesus will be written. Again, hyberbolic rhetoric.

This will be a continuation of the second Bush as the third Bush will be just as bad?

Obama is the THIRD Bush...and WORSE believe it or not. We're already there

It’s so bad that the only one who can rescue the world from the madmen of the GOP is Hillary Clinton? The new Heroine…?

She will be going nowhere. She will lose.

Your entire post reads like a vague bumper sticker. I can't believe anyone thumbed yo up actually. Your style of rhetoric and it's display of lack of data and command of specifics, is exactly why the Repubs will gain more power. The country is peering through the curtain, no matter what Left spin you put on it.

Oh yeah, btw, I'm not a Republican...FYI

edit on 7-11-2014 by BatheInTheFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Being an Independent, I’ve no allegiance to either Democrats or Republicans; only to America. I basically think that Democrats are spineless and Republicans are ruthless. Of the two, though, it’s the current generation of Republicans I distrust the most. They no longer represent the values and welfare of “We the people”, and have essentially kicked the middle class to the curb. They strictly march to the orders of their corporate sponsor’s dirty money, and could give Cosa Nostra lessons in the art of crime for profit. I basically viewed the election outcome as being influenced by the following:

GOP blamed Obama for dysfunction in Washington
That was a crock. The dysfunction in Washington is clearly at the feet of the Republican Party. It was Republicans that led the obstruction to meaningful legislative progress. The Republicans blocked any/all attempts to govern effectively. It’s Republicans who are responsible for Congress being labeled “The Do Nothing Congress”. The ignorant American voter’s solution to this problem: ELECT MORE REPUBLICANS!!

Nation thinks country is headed in wrong direction
This is kinda confusing to me. What changes in direction do Americans want to see? By voting Republican I can only assume that Americans favor the following agenda:

a) Impeach the president
b) Abolish the minimum wage
c) Suppress minority and women’s rights
d) Cut taxes and expand tax loopholes for the rich and coporations
e) Limit/suppress voting rights for minorities and the poor
f) Enact Personhood legislation
g) Further subsidize large corporations
h) Eliminate the Post Office in favor of privatizing
i) Increase the military budget
j) Eliminate Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid
k) Further exacerbate income inequality and eliminate the middle class
l) Support the failed policy of Trickle Down Economics
m) Strengthen the agenda of the evangelical right - infuse and embrace religion in politics
n) Bring back “boots on the ground” as a viable solution to ethical/ideological conflict
o) Reward fossil fuel industry and suppress alternatives
p) Make higher education less accessible and more expensive
q) Eliminate unemployment compensation, worker’s compensation, food stamps and any other remnants of the safety net
r) Repeal the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), even though it’s working better than expected
s) Do not address Immigration Reform

The above is just a shortlist of Republican to-do’s. It’s what Americans have voted for, and so it’s exactly what they deserve.

David Letterman made a comment on his show the other night that pretty well sums up this whole debacle. He said, “Take a look at this: gas under $3 a gallon – under $3 a gallon. Unemployment under 6%, whoever thought? Stock market breaking records every day. No wonder the guy (Obama) is so unpopular.”

Nation unhappy with the economy
Considering Republican’s refusal to support and act on any job legislation, it’s a miracle that the unemployment rate has fallen to 5.9%. We have experienced a record number of consecutive months of private sector job growth and the stock market has soared to record levels. We’ve recovered from the deepest recession since the market crash/depression of 1929 in much better fashion than the rest of the world’s economies. I realize that wages are not at acceptable levels and require an adjustment/correction, but that’s not the fault of the current administration. I seriously doubt that Republicans would have done a better job at economic recovery. A recovery, by the way, from the disasterous market crash caused by Bush Administration policies and actions. Republicans complain a lot, but offer few solutions. Their solution to the recession would be to reduce, or eliminate, corporate taxes altogether and allow “trickle down economics” (a proven failed policy) to work it’s magic.

The Republican solution for EVERYTHING is to cut taxes for the rich, ruling class (the “job creators”) and for corporate entities (remember, corporations are people). While this may work well for the rich and famous, and for Exxon-Mobil, it’s a poison pill for everyone else.

In case you didn’t know, the Republican Party has no interest or intention of finding common ground and reaching negotiated compromise this time around. They plan to shove their agenda down everyone‘s throat, PERIOD. It’s their way or the highway. They are power-mad and mean to please their corporate sponsors, sharing in the ill-gotten booty. The middle class and poor best step aside and just be thankful for the scraps they’ve been left to fight over. Frankly, I think the Republican Party has become a clear and present danger to this nation’s security and future success.

But, what the hey? It’s what America voted for, and it’s what it deserves: a bunch of lazy, complacent, spineless Democrats, led by a bunch of foaming at the mouth, lunatic Republicans.

God Bless America...

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Holy shi%! What a drama queen! Your out of control hysteria only serves to make people think you're irrational and can't cope with any kind of discourse.
The fact that you see no fault with the Democrats in any of this and view all Republicans as crazy far right, tree cutting,racists shows me you are close minded and live in a bubble. The true nature of many close minded radical liberals like yourself is being made abundantly clear through the tantrum like outbursts shown after this election.
www.youngcons.com...
This is the tip of the ice berg. I could give countless more examples but it makes me ill (much like your ignorant hysteria) so i wont.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

These are two of the biggest lies from the right that make me crazy.

1. The Denocrats had power for 2 years. In fact, they had a filibuster proof majority for about 70 days. After that, it was right wing obstruction all the time.

2. Nancy Pelosi said you'll have to pass the bill to know what's in it. In fact, she did say this but context means everything. There were hearings on the ACA. The Republicans, not wanting to do their jobs for some odd reason, refused to attend any of them. They then starting to complain that they couldn't possibly know what was in the bill because they chose not to read it (?!) so she said that Fox News meme sarcastically.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: theplu

1) I love the 'obstructionist' argument. Tell me, if Obama whips out the veto pen early and often against bills passed by the GOP Congress, as he likely will, is he being 'obstructionist'? But I'm sure that's different, right?

2) In this day and age of sound byte politics, Pelosi has no one to blame but herself for that idiotic statement.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: vor78

I countered two things that I hear over and over again that are not true. You didn't counter them - you change the subject and claim to know what I think. I'm not going to argue with you.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: theplu

LOL.

I didn't change the subject, I merely turned the tables on you and put the ball back in your court.

But I will answer your question. Both the veto and the filibuster are perfectly legitimate tactics that serve an important purpose, allowing the minority party to have a voice in legislation and serving as a backstop against a radical legislative agenda of the majority. In that sense, I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with either the GOP or Obama acting to use their power in that manner, even if it means nothing 'gets done'.

And as for Pelosi, again, that's her own damned fault.
edit on 7-11-2014 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I agree with you that the Republicans of today are nothing like the Republicans of yesterday.
The Republicans of yesterday put the country first. They supported the common American with policies beneficial to them. They supported unions in the past as well.

Today they are Neocon Global Fascists selling out their country to Multinational Nationless Corporations and Big Banks along with a Global Military to protect of tax payer expense.Everyone else does not matter.

The democrats are not any better of course.
The difference is that Democrats pretend to be for the working man while Republicans have made it quite clear who they work for. The wealthy corporate and banking executives
edit on 7-11-2014 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
One step closer to the end of the two party system or revolution.

Perhaps, but of that there is no sign in the OP.

A Panic-driven, nonsense rant such as is present in the OP indicates that the two-party system, such as it is, is alive and well. It is a blind rant, mere arms flailing in the darkness. For someone to give voice to such fears and sentiments indicates that their ability to think has stopped cold, and they are running on emotion alone. Such an unreasoning fear of the "opposition" party bespeaks equally unreasoning acceptance of one's own - blind rejection and blind acceptance are exactly the same thing. The key word, the operative phrase, the driving force behind both is the commonality of blindness.

Honestly - if a mere 5 Republicans can end America per the OP, imagine what we could do with a 100 of them - who the hell would need armies any more! I just can't, for the life of me, give as much credit to the Republicans as Willtell does. I have never, in my entire life, seen that much steam out of Republicans, and just can't attribute that much strength and ability to them.

They just aren't that capable. Neither are the Democrats. The utter ineptitude of both are the only reason we still exist at all. I'd like to see government accomplish even half, or a quarter, even, of what they have been given in the mind of the OP. It's not going to happen - they just have the OP snowed.

That is, actually, where politicians of both sides get any strength at all - what they have is given to them by panicky opponents. If it weren't for the panicked wails of anguish, no one would even notice their opposition at all. Here's an exercise - name FIVE of those newly-minted Republicans. Don't name the old guys, the ones who have been in DC since dirt was invented, name 5 of the new guys. Don't go look them up - if they are really that important, their names should be at the front of everyone's tongues. 5 of the new guys in DC, the ones who are so all-powerful that they have utterly destroyed America simply by virtue of being elected. In all honesty - if someone has THAT much power over you, shouldn't you AND your neighbors ALL know his or her name at the very least?

No. The panic and fear has been engendered by nameless, faceless, "REPUBLICANS", just as it was by nameless, faceless "DEMOCRATS" a few scant years ago. Not long before that it was a panic about nameless, faceless "MUSLIMS", and before them it was nameless, faceless "COMMUNISTS", and before them it was nameless, faceless "NAZIS" and before them... well, you get the idea. Panic has been around forever, and the first step in promoting it is to convince your audience that this irresistible force you want them to fear is somehow new and unique, and above all not operated by mere people... hence it's nameless, faceless quality.

While Nixon was erasing tapes and getting us out of a war, while Ford was busy tripping on airplane gangways, while Carter was fighting rabbits and trying to install socialism in the western hemisphere, while Reagan was trickling down, while Bush I was attempting to force Hussein into his "New World Order" and getting cold feet right at the payoff, while Clinton was puffin' cigars in the oval office, while Bush II was reading books to kids during crises, while Obama was playing golf, we still somehow managed to survive through it all, Somehow, I'm a bit dubious that a mere 5 junior congressmen are going to be able to overthrow the world.

Until the blind panics subside, until people can actually see the little man behind the curtain - thereby removing his power, which exists only in their panicked minds, the "two-party" system will also prevail. Until people stop blindly panicking at the mention of their opponents, and stop blindly supporting their "own" side, until they stop blindly doing anything, and finally SEE that the Two are really just One - Two sides of One coin, and not that different after all, the two party system will be alive and well.

The OP verifies and ensures that.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Oh nos! The GOP Isa commin! Can't wait til the Democrats come along and save us again! Lol.

People who think the two parties are different are so funny. Like a really sad and tragic kind of funny though. Like the time i saw someone nearly die from being struck by a speeding car, yet all i could do was laugh. It was just so crazy to see that it was funny at first.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

a reply to: feldercarb

What legislation will they possibly try to pass but fanatic reactionary stuff like getting rid of Obamacare,

One can only hope. If the Republicans could get rid of Obamacare, they might have a shot at getting me to vote for one of them at some point in the future - as it stands now, not a chance. They are as culpable in that destruction of the Constitution as the Democrats are. I don't see them giving it any serious effort, however - it would hurt the bottom line of the insurance corporations, and neither side apparently wants THAT... just more evidence that they are one and the same.

gutting abortion laws,

That would require a Constitutional amendment - and I just don't see that happening.

and gay rights and gutting laws on the environment.

Why should ANYONE have more rights than anyone else, simply by virtue of their sexual orientation? If they are not getting more rights, why the effort to single them out? In short, why should I or anyone else care what they do on their own time?

If they do this then Obama and the dems can maybe make a comeback

Obama will never make a comeback - his days are done. If Dems make a comeback, it will be an anemic one, like this "resurgence" is for the Reps. Those parties are both done because they merged too closely together... they just neither have the decency to exit gracefully and leave room for new and effective parties.

I am unique in that, for the sake of lessening the suffering of humanity, I am for the lesser of two evils

That, right there, is the whole problem - they seem to have convince you that there IS a "lesser of two evils". There is not. There is only ONE evil, with two faces. There can be no "lesser of two" when there is only one of something.

edit on 2014/11/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: nenothtu

Of course there is a lesser of two evils life is not narrow as black or white
Only narrow minded one dimensional thinkers think like you

You think the negative impulses of the GOP aren’t affecting people

Ask those people who have a son or daughter DEAD because of George Bush’ war in Iraq

Or one of the million dead Iraqis

I know people who are affected by the cut in food stamps, do you?

As for a rant, not at all, my op was clear headed, precise, and based on past actions.

Yours is based on delusion and your own egotistical ramblings that aren’t based on anything in reality

In other words you’re a legend in your own mind

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

a reply to: nenothtu

Of course there is a lesser of two evils

Only when there ARE "two evils" can one of them be lesser. Currently, in US politics, there is but ONE evil, which has convinced you that it is somehow different than itself. That's just funny.

life is not narrow as black or white
Only narrow minded one dimensional thinkers think like you

Life is entirely composed of shades of gray. When I was young, I couldn't see that, and thought as you do. It's not ME who is a "one dimensional thinker" - re-read your OP, and keep that phrase firmly in mind as you do so.

You think the negative impulses of the GOP aren’t affecting people

No more so than the negative impulses of the DNC. They are One. You think the negative impulses of the DNC aren't affecting people? Go take a look at your insurance bill, and get back to me on that.

Ask those people who have a son or daughter DEAD because of George Bush’ war in Iraq

There is just so much wrong with that statement that it would take pages to properly deconstruct it. I'll leave it at saying that you've got no damned business at all telling me ANYTHING about war dead.

I ain't asking anyone else about it.

Or one of the million dead Iraqis

Last time I asked a dead Iraqi anything at all, the son of a gun wouldn't even speak to me!

It works differently for you?

I know people who are affected by the cut in food stamps, do you?

I dunno. Maybe. I don't, as a rule, poke around in their business, but some times the topic comes up. I've not heard any of them complaining of cuts, however. I myself have never been able to get food stamps - I have the wrong ideology or something, I guess. Last time I applied, I was making 7,478 dollars a year, and "made too much money". The chubby little lassie sitting next to me in the waiting room made north of 38k per year, and got a full ride.

Go figure.

I haven't wasted my time applying since. I just go find something to eat on my own.

As for a rant, not at all, my op was clear headed, precise, and based on past actions.

Uh, yeah. Right. Wish I had a eye-rolling emoticon. It was an emotional dribble, neither clear-headed, nor reality-based. It WAS pretty precise, though - that's exactly what allowed it to be tested.

It failed the test.

Yours is based on delusion and your own egotistical ramblings that aren’t based on anything in reality

In other words you’re a legend in your own mind

How perfectly wonderful! I didn't know I could do that! I think next time I start imagining things, I'll make myself rich, instead of so damned good looking!

edit on 2014/11/7 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join