It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would anyone be interested in an ATS virtual world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
While reading SO's thread about group collaboration to build a better chat client, my two brain cells bumped together and threw a spark. Here's the idea that came out.

I have an account with a virtual world called OSgrid (not to be confused with the Ordinance Survey grid). Creating an account lets you claim a spot on their server to create a 3D "island"complete with a modeling engine to create buildings, landscaping and, basically, anything your imagination comes up with. It's all free and open source. Once your world is set up, others can use a virtual "person" to visit and interact using open chat, private chat and/or voice chat.

So, here's what I'm thinking: If we could talk our beneficent and much adored SO into creating such a place, how many would be interested?

Just to be clear, I'm not proposing this in lieu of an on site chat client. I just think it could add another facet to this gem we call ATS.
edit on 11/4/2014 by N3k9Ni because: Eta

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have got to admit that sounds seriously awesome! Im a gamer so that kind of stuff really appeals too me!

Makes things more interesting too.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Glad you like the idea. The downside would be that it would only be accessible using a laptop or desktop pc. But I think I could live with that.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
That would be a fun alternative to a basic chat. Chats which I am less interested in now days, unless in a game/MMO. Being unfamiliar with OSgrid(*), am going to check it out now. If this takes interest of many here, enough to go through with a ATS area, I'd love to help out considering if I finally have time to do such(in the past had to decline some MMO invites).

Hmm a conspiracy theme park, tin foil, alien, etc. themed rides. Cafe with a theme? Heh, reminds me of a convo with friends I had recently about Occulus Rift on ways to incorporate body movements into the game instead with just a mouse or keys if that is a desired option. There's demonstration videos out there of what is already available, though kinda limited at this time. Giving me ideas, suggestions of ways to advance it.

Update* Actually just looking at it resembles Second Life. I have experience making skin/items such as clothes on there. If I remember correctly we have quite a few Second Life users. With that may make a potential for interested users.
edit on 4-11-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

That place is amazing. You can download templates to create clothes and skins for your avatar. Or you can go shopping for that stuff... everything is free.

Eta: It is very similar. It's based on the OpenSimulator platform which is an open source offshoot of the Second Life simulator.
edit on 11/4/2014 by N3k9Ni because: Eta

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
There is something out there already called Second Life, I am there

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

This is an open source offshoot of Second Life. There's no subscription fee to keep a region on their grid.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   
A brilliant idea, but a wee bit scary to me anyways. The amount of time I spend on here is already akin to my " virtual world" and if I had a place to go such as second life I'd NEVER LEAVE THE COMPUTER!!!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

Exactly what I thought...gamer myself...we could get some mini games in game lol...it could function as chat as well....they are looking for a new chat system. I know its not everyone's cup of tea but I think it would be so cool.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni
But do you gotta pay anything to create a region?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
You do know the grid is down, right? No users in the last 30 days...

www.osgrid.org...
edit on 11/5/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
But do you gotta pay anything to create a region?

Nope. There's no fee for hosting a region and you can have as many as you like. There's a way to join several adjacent regions into one megaregion. I've never tried that, but I don't think it's hard to do.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

ATS should make a video game where you take the role of an independent investigator and vigilante trying to unveil the mysteries of life. We could interweave many different conspiracy theories into the storyline so that even if you unravel one mystery, you might only expose one faction or one tiny area of the overall picture. Each thread you unravel could unlock a new puzzle piece on your progress screen, but the puzzle once assembled is just itself another clue. Can you discover the secret behind the ultimate mystery?

I also think that it would be a very ripe opportunity for just lacing the thing with easter eggs. It could be set in the modern world, kind of like Watch Dogs.

There could be different classes of character for different play styles so you could be a hacker, an elite military guy, a reporter, a detective, etc. Each with slightly different skill sets, and it could have an open world Bathesda style. Each narrative you unlock, could also unlock different hangouts so you can hangout with other players in a 3D style chatroom who have also gotten to that part of the game.

I think it'd be fun.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

www.osgrid.org...

I have their news feed on my Facebook page. From what I understand, their asset server took a major nosedive. They've been trying to get it back up or at least recover the data.

Last I heard, they decided to set up a new server and hope to be up and running soon.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni

www.osgrid.org...

I have their news feed on my Facebook page. From what I understand, their asset server took a major nosedive. They've been trying to get it back up or at least recover the data.

Last I heard, they decided to set up a new server and hope to be up and running soon.

Yeah caught that later on, unfortunate. Hope they get it back up again!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Sounds like a cool and fun idea, count me in when they get the servers sorted

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
No.

I think what ATS needs is a secure space online that is safe from prying eyes.

Encrypted and non traceable.

top topics

join