It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophecy of Future Tech Convergence - The One Ring to Rule them All

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I love the Lord of the Rings - Always wanted "My precious..."

The One True Ring could one day become a reality with the convergence of Nano-Technology and Networked Artificial Intelligence.

How do you think the One True Ring could work though ?

I came up with a couple of possibilities, such as:
The Ring is an AI and conscious entity which is able to warp space/time around the wearer, read your thoughts, make you invisible, open any doors, help you beat up entire armies and make you want to wear it.
Or
If in the future - Our conciousnesses (is that a word?) are downloaded into an interdimensional virtual universe and the One True Ring is like a key that allows you to change the source code of the universe at will (Like NEO in the Matrix).

Link to a great thread on Lord of the Rings Symbolism:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Link to a Lord of the Rings Symbolism page:
www.darkstar1.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
the link you provided to the page mainly about the doors of durin is rather distasteful imho, for the simple fact tolkien insisted his works were 'neither allegorical, nor topical'. the professor also explains in depth the meaning of the stars, crown, and other symbols on the door.

they do say if you look hard enough, youll find a pattern in anything.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Got any science / technology theories as to how a small ring could hold so much power over the world around us ?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
quantum computing, provided small enough could sustain a sophistocated AI within the ring, if not AI then a consciousness which was downloaded IE the will of sauron.

a localized gravity field could make the wearer invisible.

the ring somehow interfacing "dry" with your nervous system could be how the ring would be used to govern the will of the bearers of the lesser rings.

but beyond all this, tolkien doesnt explicitly say what the extent of the power of the ring is, so we cant really speculate too far beyond these three main aspects, if you want to keep this on the topic of the ring from a technological standpoint.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Maybe the dry interface is actualy somekind of articial electro-magnetic synapse creation that uses the bodies nervous system to take over the brain. kind of like the martial art "paralysing touch" idea....

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Have you ever read any Greg Egan? I liked Permutation City - where he writes about a quantum computer that basicaly creates an alternate and infinate universe that people download themselves into. Otherworld was kinda like that except the hardware was based in this universe.

top topics

join