It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is it common practice for zoo's to chain the gorillas?..few pics and general zoo talk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Perhaps this has something to do with it.

No one but Christie
could control Nemo and he/she was kept
chained to a concrete platform built on the site
of the present day Monkey Island.

Link
edit on 0420141120141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: U4ea82

The gorilla was not chained. The outdoor enclosure is a free roaming exhibit and has been there since the mid to late 90's. The backside of the enclosure has a huge metal fence and allows you to get shockingly close to the gorillas.

Then you have the facts to contend with. First gorillas do not like to cross even shallow water, they can and do but are generally reluctant to. Second and probably most important, if you are going to even bother to dig out a moat to keep the animals in, why would you not dig one that you knew was big enough, to you know actually keep the animal in? Then you have the logistics to deal with. You have an outdoor enclosure with a gorilla in it, if it is chained up to the enclosure how do you move it into the interior enclosure? If it is chained up someone has to go inside to unchain it. Do you really see the zoo sedating the gorilla everyday to clean the enclosure or to move it inside every time it needs to come indoors? Then once it is sedated how do you move it?

The OP himself tells you they didn't actually see a chain restraining the gorilla. And instead is using their imagination to fill in the gaps.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx
a reply to: U4ea82

The gorilla was not chained. The outdoor enclosure is a free roaming exhibit and has been there since the mid to late 90's. The backside of the enclosure has a huge metal fence and allows you to get shockingly close to the gorillas.

Then you have the facts to contend with. First gorillas do not like to cross even shallow water, they can and do but are generally reluctant to.

The OP himself tells you they didn't actually see a chain restraining the gorilla. And instead is using their imagination to fill in the gaps.

i was not going to keep on with this but you are talking like you know the facts about it...do you work there?
there was nowhere to get even a little close to the gorilla let alone shockingly close....

the backside(the side his back was too) was a wall, not a metal fence....there was no fence in front of me....

gorillas dont like to cross water....they can and do according to you...

you think that is something the zoo would risk? the ever so remote possibility of the gorilla crossing the water and then getting out?

i hope youre right....

i am filling in gaps....
i didnt see a chain but i did see a gorilla not moving off a rock. i saw another rock with a chain and ring attached...i saw nothing to keep this gorilla from getting out or from someone getting in for that matter....
i was there yesterday....no extra big ass fence...people cant get shockingly close....

maybe at one point you could but not now......

just cause it has been there since the mid 90's does not mean it looks the same.....there was construction going on all over the zoo yesterday...new stuff going up and old stuff getting worked on....

i hope youre right i just have my doubts....

to repeat though, i did not see a chain.....

by your logic of "why would they bother to dig a small moat blah blah"

does the same not apply for

"why was there a huge rock with a heavy duty chain and ring attached to it if not to chain 'something' to it"

i hope i am wrong...believe me on that....

one poster coming in a dropping 'facts' does not convince me
edit on 5-11-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
First of all excellent avatar. I loved that movie.

The rock could be chained to the ground or to other rocks to prevent him from picking up the rock and moving it around the enclosure. Gorillas are massively strong. They like to make nests. Maybe he kept moving things around the enclosure so they chain down the large objects. Also the chain could be a toy for the big guy. All gorillas are different personality wise. They take a liking to random things. One loved a broom. Another may love the sound chains make and likes to play with them. He could have been playing with the chain and got board dropped it off next to the rock. Or maybe the chain is attached to the rock and they leave it there because he likes to pull on it for fun from time to time.
a reply to: Grovit

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
First of all excellent avatar. I loved that movie.

. Or maybe the chain is attached to the rock and they leave it there because he likes to pull on it for fun from time to time.

that makes sense and makes me feel a bit better.
first good explanation in the thread vs "he wasn't chained"

im going to believe thats why there was a chain and ring attached to it from this point on....it makes me too upset to think otherwise

edit*

thanks on the avatar.....big trouble in little china is one of my favorite movies of all time......
its one of those flicks that i wish i could watch again for the 1st time

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

It's Also one of my favorite movies ever. The video rental store refuses to sell me their copy and he refuses to rent it to me anymore saying I need to expand my movie watching horizons and rent something else. Saying its for my own good.

Check out the directors commentary with john and kurt sometime. It's pretty fun.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

not for nothing man but what are you doing still renting movies?
you can get it at wal mart for less than 10 bucks...

just saying

edit*
blu ray for 8 bucks

www.walmart.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The video rental store is literally 50 feet from my apt. But yeah for Christmas I should just go out and buy it. Treat myself.

Its funny I'll drop quotes from the movie all the time on the threads and I think maybe 3 or 4 members actually caught on.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

i could bat quotes back and forth with you all day

nothin or triple

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
"Nothing or Double, keep it you've earned it."

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
"Nothing or Double, keep it you've earned it."

a true fan can quote like you

When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, 'Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

"pway your Cwards Right, you lib to tawk abwout it!!!" Gotta love Carter Wong. A bad ass in real life too.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

carter wong is cool.

he was great as thunder/sampson

i was reading the trivia on big trouble and it said that one of thee producers wanted jackie chan to play wang but he wasnt marketable then so they got an unknown and they also wanted jack nickelson to play jack burton.
of course nickelson is a much better actor than kurt russel but kurt was perfect as jack burton.
that movie is perfect just the way it is....im glad it worked out the way it did.....

i cant really imagine it any other way.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

You gotta listen to the directors quotes it's just Kurt and John laughing the whole way through. Plus the commentary is hilarious too. Some interesting movie triva in there too.

Also, Carter Wong was the chief martial arts instructor for the royal hong kong police department.

Check your PM's BTW.

I'll depart with this . "Oh, my god, no. Please! What is that? Don't tell me!"

edit on 5-11-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join