It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I will not vote and this is the reason why.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
While I do agree that when it comes to the politicians, it seems we are voting for the lesser of two evils. I'm also frustrated with are politicians on all sides. However, when voting, you also have the ability to decide on other measures like bond issues or social issues. Voting also requires reading up on the issues, the candidates, and researching the ballot which are good things to know.

One of the most powerful rights we have is voting. There are so many around the world who do not have the same freedom. It is a responsibility that should not be taken lightly, because it is your voice, with the many others, in unison, that can change the direction of a community, state, nation, and even the world.

"Bad officials are elected by good citizens who don't vote" - George Jean Nathan

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Acronychal
Voting has always been a kind of hilarious irony: "You have to vote to ensure democracy ensues". You are forced to make a decision, rather than being given the free will to choose not to vote (in most national circumstances). I agree that the current governmental system if flawed in terms of elections, and have no idea why there has been no development of a new governmental system that operates to provide us with options that are not ridiculous. Why can't I vote for the common sense party? Oh right it doesn't exist.

I just about fell off my chair.

The common sense party does exist.

The common sense party is in it's infancy, more like fetal stage first trimester

Check out this thread - page 2 is the best in my opinion
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 10Tue, 04 Nov 2014 10:10:53 -0600am110411amk042 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman
a reply to: FlyersFan

Unavoidable off topic post to wish you get better.

Me too FlyersFan, wish you get better soon.

Now I know why you moved to be a Mod.

I too may be bedridden for awhile when the tests come back, scared.

Guess you have to delete this for drift, I understand.

Just to stay on topic, thanks to writer of OP, for giving all opinions 1 star, every opinion does matter, you are a very polite OP.

I think voting is very important, even if as some do you write in a name or fictional character. It lets the people in power know you are participating but are angry. They want your vote, if you are angry, they are just as happy to let you stay home and not participate. They really don't want everyone at the polls, just those that agree with them so they can stay in power.

Not voting to express your disgust is allowing the worst of the worst to stay in power and have some measure of control over your life.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   
If one chooses not to vote they are in fact absolving themselves of right to complain against the choices and desions made by the government that is elected. Me I don't care what you do either way..... it's breathtaking how corrupted the U.S. government has become. Sick to death of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
To everyone who thinks that voting can change things, think about this. Corporations are throwing billions into politics. You think they are doing that with just a hope that their party wins. I seriously doubt it. It's all rigged and that's not gonna change until the entire system changes.

Unsure how accurate this website is but I'll link it to show some figures:

Heavy Hitters: Top All-Time Donors, 1989-2014

Enjoy

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

Doubt it!!
Crawl back in your holes

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
As a citizen of the United States, I have the right to complain whether or not I vote. The constitution guarantees me that right. Get over it!
One of the ways I choose to "complain" is, by not participating in a system that is rigged against the citizens of this country. The government, in collusion with the banksters and the corporations, work for themselves, and seek to enslave the people to debt, and endless wars.

When you vote, you give your seal of approval to these soulless creatures. You wanna vote? Vote with your pocketbook, and your actions. When enough people do so, things will change of necessity.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
As a citizen of the United States, I have the right to complain whether or not I vote. The constitution guarantees me that right. Get over it!
One of the ways I choose to "complain" is, by not participating in a system that is rigged against the citizens of this country. The government, in collusion with the banksters and the corporations, work for themselves, and seek to enslave the people to debt, and endless wars.

When you vote, you give your seal of approval to these soulless creatures. You wanna vote? Vote with your pocketbook, and your actions. When enough people do so, things will change of necessity.

Why not just go in and vote for a third party?

If people just stay home, then a third party has zero chance of success.

A third viable party would change things dramatically, as long as it is a 2 party system, they can collude, your turn our turn and things don't really change and they can share power while appearing to hate each other. A viable third party is our only hope to jolt the system and return to a true government by the people.

Even if you only vote third party and not for anyone else or write in Micky Mouse or whatever when there isn't a third party. It gives a third party a chance at real success and a chance to restore true democracy to the country.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nomickeyshere

Your tin foil hat is a little to big man

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
NOT voting in this election is disrespectful to ALL of those illegal aliens and dead people who, in spite of the difficulties involved, STILL manage to cross borders and rise from their graves in order to vote for democrats.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I write in "Gumby" for president every election.
3rd parties on everything else. No democretin or republicrat gets my vote.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I feel I have to vote because we have a prop. that wants more money from us rural types by metering water wells. It doesn't come right out and say so, but the language is there if anyone in CA cares to read it. As for the people running for office, I am only voting for those who I didn't get a million tons of junk mail saying "OH vote for ME cuz I am special!" or third party or if no other option writing in my favorite Looney Toons Critters. The Jerry Mouse and Tom Cat Ticket are my intention for the next presidential election.

Personally I don't think it matters if we vote because the outcome is decided before one person casts a ballot. But I still feel like I need to make an effort to show "them" my feelings if I want to complain the rest of the time. By not voting I feel I am just part of the problem even if our votes don't matter.

I think if we have a massive voter turnout that was NOT along party lines and a party wins, don't you think the fixing would be uncovered when X many people say "I didn't vote that way! So how did they win?" in massive numbers?

One question I have though. If we write in something ridiculous like the above, does your ballot get trashed or does it actually get recorded? Although I think all the ballots get trashed now that I think about it so NM lol.

Lil
political BS'ery

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Lilroanie

The "gumby" and "micky mouse" votes do get recorded. That is how we know that people do it. I believe you can actually look up somewhere how many votes a fictional character gets each election cycle.

Here is a clip from just one article about it, there were tons on google

This is about the 2012 presidential election.

Travis County Ron Paul: 1,291 Jesus Christ: 31 Hillary Clinton: 30 Jon Huntsman: 23 Willie Nelson: 14 Mickey Mouse: 11 Some version of "nobody": 11 Vermin Supreme: 11 Tie: Ralph Nader, Bill Clinton: 8

Tarrant County Ron Paul: 433 Jesus Christ: 49 Hillary Clinton: 33 Rick Santorum: 21 Mike Huckabee: 15 Colin Powell: 9 Willie Nelson: 8 Newt Gingrich: 4 Tie: Big Bird, Jon Huntsman, Sarah Palin: 3

Ten other notable write-in candidates who received fewer than five votes in Tarrant and Travis counties: Tupac Shakur Clark Kent Elvis Presley Henry Rollins Jon Stewart Love Socrates Slavoj Zizek Candy Crowley Chuck Norris

www.texastribune.org...

edit on 9Tue, 04 Nov 2014 09:49:59 -0600am110411amk042 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
At least we all agree that Republicans and Democrats shouldn't be elected anymore. But, we will have to agree to disagree on whether voting actually helps or hurts the cause.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw
This is something I used to actually do, and tried to get others to do as well. As much as I like the idea, if we can't get the American people to see that the system is rigged against them, and work with us to bring down the giant, we are literally spitting in the wind. Which is a shame, because the American people have the power to change the political landscape of this country if the blinders ever come off.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: sarra1833

The sad thing however, is politicians are still running even in the third party land. So really, it's just a lesser known person who would ultimately end up screwing people over in the end.

I believe that every person in the govt is only in it for themselves. If someone were to win who was truly for the people, they'd be silenced or made to go with the majority of those in the govt itself. The People just can not win no matter what.

Out of all Parties, I'm pro 3rd party; but I have yet to see anyone who truly wins me over 100% or even close. Way back when, Ron Paul said a lot of things which resonated with me - but there also were things I did not agree with. However, I became a precinct leader for him and was going to be a delegate because the aspects that DID ring a bell with me were a breath of fresh air, something we the People needed badly.

Would he have held to them if he'd won the Presidency? Who knows. Probably not. There are always others who want things their way and will ensure it happens how they want it to. Benefits a few, not the whole. In this case, the 'whole' are the People, and the 'few' are the govt.

It's a sad state of affairs. I'm done with it all.

If you are done with it all, that is a viable option.
You can always ignore what it going on in the world, many do
and just live your life.

But once you give up, you also should not complain, because giving up means you don't think things will change ever for the better, and so complaining is totally meaningless; and will only give you anxiety and stress if you do think about it which leads to poor health. So giving up is an option, just totally give up and don't complain.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
This is something I used to actually do, and tried to get others to do as well. As much as I like the idea, if we can't get the American people to see that the system is rigged against them, and work with us to bring down the giant, we are literally spitting in the wind. Which is a shame, because the American people have the power to change the political landscape of this country if the blinders ever come off.

The blinders are starting to fall off.

The rise (and subsequent fall due to nasty and vile attacks by both parties) is evidence that the blinders are starting to come off.

Don't give up, just read ATS, people are really opening their eyes much more than you realize.

It is not hopeless.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: sarra1833

You're walking down the street and four robbers jump out from behind the bushes pointing guns at you. They say, "We can't agree on which one of us has the right to rob you, so you pick. Whomever you pick can demand from you whatever they want, because you've elected them, but you'll only have to be robbed from just that one guy. If you refuse to pick, we'll let the next guy that comes along pick for you. If you refuse to pick, you have no right to complain about who the next guy picks, because we initially gave you the choice." Sound like a fair or sane system to you?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Vote if you want it doesn't matter to me. Half the people I know are so clueless that I prefer they don't vote.
I will take my 12 yr old daughter to vote with me tonight. I feel that this is something important for her to see.
And I have to ask.
You don't vote therefore refusing to participate in a system you feel is corrupt or whatever reason you have. What are you doing to change this system? Bitching on this website is like preaching to the choir. Is anybody here actively trying to make a difference?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Oh cool thanks! I guess some Google Fu would have been warranted, so thanks for doing it for me! LOL I didn't even think of looking it up! Need more coffee I guess, my brain has obviously shut down! I've had a bad sinus infection and very little sleep for a few weeks heh.

Lil

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join