It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese scientists unveil floating 3D projection

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

Why a fake UFO?

Because that's what the person I was responding to speculated he had seen.
I wondered the same thing.

edit on 11/4/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kuroodo

Thanks for the video, I'm quite sure now it is as I was thinking before. Look at the square structure on top of the laser assy, it is for sure a big aperture optics to provide the required Numeric Aperture to form a small beam waist at focus location (where the air breakdown occur).

The guy in the video said it: "dangerous"

It would be fun to put a piece of wood at this focus location just to see the effect.

While working w/t 40W CO2 laser quite some time ago, we where having lots of fun cutting wooden stick. By putting a focussing lens in the beam I was able to melt a dot in fire brick (normally used as beam safety stop). CO2 laser does not produce a very small and concentrated focus spot due to the large wavelength, but shorter wavelength laser can sometime produce a focus spot so small that the electrical breakdown of air is reached. This is why converging optics is often avoided in big laser design.

I seriously doubt there will be many application of this "old" effect due to safety. Just think of the safety requirements that exist for the powerfull "non eye safe" military Laser Ranger/Target Designator at 1064nm. They are considered weapon by themself at close range. The presented 3D projector probably use a more powerfull laser, but at least it is not a collimated beam but still IMHO dangerous.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Should've quoted instead of just replying...the point is surely you can see the benefit of being in control of something that undermines conventional wisdom and the entire social construct that is seated at it's table.

No one would believe in a new "prophet" but give people a false UFO bearing gifts of "enlightenment" and you'd have a movement....in the last thread where someone claimed to have access to off-world tech at least 4 people asked to be taken with them - no questions asked - just get them out of here LOL!

edit on 4-11-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: PeterMcFly
I seriously doubt there will be many application of this "old" effect due to safety. Just think of the safety requirements that exist for the powerfull "non eye safe" military Laser Ranger/Target Designator at 1064nm. They are considered weapon by themself at close range. The presented 3D projector probably use a more powerfull laser, but at least it is not a collimated beam but still IMHO dangerous.

We used to "designate" windows on structures where we felt someone might have a rifle scope on us.

It's quite effective, especially if the someone on the other hand is looking at you with a scope or binoculars.

eta:

The plasma bloom makes a pop when you create it. But if you modulate the beam input(s) on an existing bloom, it will vary in volume.

By doing that, you can create sound. Grant you, it's sort of crappy quality, but the quality is very attention-getting, sort of a talking buzzsaw effect.

January 91, two working fieldable units were delivered to 10th Special Forces, which was then moving from Bad Tolz to Stuttgart, that could project a plasma bloom 20 or 30 feet in the air and modulate it, creating a ball of fire that 'talked'. The idea was, you could sneak in and put this thing overhead giving orders in Arabic to put down your weapons. The power was cranked up far enough to create nitrous and nitric oxides, so you got a really nice red smoke plume with a sort of fireball in the middle instead of the little white balls you see in the videos on the thread.

It was really impressive. However, George the First decided it wasn't appropriate and forbade its use. Alas.

edit on 4-11-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

"I grant you 3 wishes!!- now lay down your AK's".
Fascinating application if true.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
a reply to: Bedlam

"I grant you 3 wishes!!- now lay down your AK's".
Fascinating application if true.

It's too bad Wembley doesn't still post here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join