It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what is your favorite extinct animal??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

If you find one, I'll take it as a pet! Already have a half-breed wolf, it'd fit right in!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I've always had a soft spot for the triceratops. When I was a kid I used think about how cool it would be to saddle one up and go riding across the grand prairie like a boss.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

That is a hard one and I am tempted to say humanity but we are still around for now and maybe a while yet (and ethically religiously I do not see humans as animals though rather confusingly I believe all life has soul).
So for me I suppose it has to be a toss up of the two following species.
The Haas Eagle, this terrifying bird could and probably did actively predate humans as it's natural prey was the giant flightless new Zealand bird's (As has been pointed out by BigfurryTexan some of the flightless species were not something you would want to meat essentially re evolving into raptor like dinosaur like predators).

And second the much longer extinct Argentavis Magnificens which was large enough to carry a fully grown steer away in it's talons.

But it was knocked off it's pedestal by this.

Perhaps the largest bird ever to have flown that we know of found in Carolina when they were building an extension to the airport

But in truth they are merely for me among the most interesting and frightening but I would certainly not want one as a pet, but imagine the drumsticks on that.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

My two favorites have got to be gorgonopsid (Inostrancevia) like a cross between a bear and a komodo dragon. en.wikipedia.org...

as well as arthropleura aka millipede from hell www.prehistoric-wildlife.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

damn.
never heard of the haas eagle.....
those birds you mentioned are ridiculous......
i knew this thread was a good idea

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Dragonflies are a close tie with the praying mantis for my favorite insect.
I like the fact that they are a lot smaller now.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I miss the unicorns, mermaids and yeti. I wish they'd find some DNA samples and clone them.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Has to be the Velociraptor.

To add to some of the weird extinct creatures though, here's a Sthenurus. A larger, extinct kangaroo-like species of which doubled the size of its extant counterparts. It became extant around 30,000 years ago in Australia.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Hands down Therapsids. They're reptilian proto-mammals! Most representations look like weird fat naked hippo-geckos, but because of their soft tissue we'll never really know the complexities of their forms.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

But is it extinct . Tasmania is a very wild and for the most parts unexplored place . Also the Tasmanian tiger is a great candidate for cloning . Lets hope .

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Everyone put up pics, so here are some for my weird elephant:

and with candy:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Saber Toothed Tiger. When I was a kid and, like every kid, went through the dino phase, I really liked the Saber Toothed Tiger.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

im 37 and still in my dino phase
i dont think its ever going to go away for me

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Megalania-colossal,probably extinct Australian lizard.Wiki Link

I'll try to give it the right name:North American snub-nosed bear...Can't supply links from my kindle,my apologies.SHORT-FACED Bear

If I recall correctly,both species existed at the same time as our forebears.

This would make gathering berries and tubers very exciting indeed.
edit on 4-11-2014 by Ericthedoubter because: On the PC,providing links...

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter
Yeah good one the short faced bear was definitely encountered by human's, it would run faster than a horse and was probably the largest land predator that man ever encountered as well as one of the most fearsome.
A truly terrifying prospect.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Dimetrodon.

One of the oldest land predators. Hunted sharks.

www.iflscience.com...

IFL Science. If you don't have that bookmarked you should. Great site for all things science.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

hey heff.
i sent you a message about this movie but i didnt hear back..wanted to make sure you saw it....
since you like the taz, you might like this.....its on netflix

www.imdb.com...

The independent and lonely hunter Martin David is hired by the powerful biotech company Red Leaf to hunt down the last Tasmanian tiger. Red Leaf is interested in the DNA of the animal and Martin travels to Tasmania alone. He poses as a researcher from a university and lodges in the house of Lucy Armstrong. Martin learns that Lucy's husband has been missing for a long time and he befriends her children, Sass and Bike. When Martin goes to the village, he has a hostile reception from the locals. Along the days, Martin spends his days in the Tasmanian wilderness chasing the Tiger and becomes closer and closer to the Armstrong family. But Red Leaf wants results no matter the costs.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Sabre tooth tiger or Megalodon.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join