It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Stunning View Of Sunlit Seas On Titan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Ok. I'll go. I can take a hint.

I'll be in my bunk.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

We'll always have the real golden Grained beach on Gliese 581g.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
pfft.
That's just science fiction.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Would hydrocarbon seas constitute a sort of "proof of concept" for abiotic oil?

Just wondering.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: RockerDom

Hydrocarbon seas. Gee, seems like a theory I had a long time ago is coming back around.

I have said many times over that I believe that our oil and gas resources are made by various bacteria that lives deep in the crust. Okay, SOME might be from decomposed organic materials, but come on folks...

If these are "fossil fuels" from decaying organic materials, then Titan must have been a real nice place a LONG time ago!!

I think people will be shocked to find out the truth behind "fossil fuels".

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

You realise that you just wished me floating in essential what is a lake of liquid fart?

But, it's glassy. And, and... Saturn. And, and.. the rings.

Geez, you really know how to spoil the mood. I was going to bring some Ganymede Chardonnay but no, you had to bring up farts.

The entirety of this exchange reminds me of the "idea of" an adult film set as opposed to the "horrible nose and soul crushing reality" of an adult film set, lol...

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Time to start designing my methane-powered super submarine so I can cruise around Titan indefinitely..

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I wonder what biomass is living there

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

eh; the surface of titan isn't the issue... it's the sub-surface... that could hold a hidden ocean... in anycase.. I'd say the concern would be over the cost ratio of shipping fuel to earth.

However a station located in orbit of titan would be a handy place to refuel.. given that there is a solid surface, you perhaps could have a space-elevator, but that would depend on it's distance from Saturn/Saturn's gravitational pull, and/or the speed at which titan spins.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Wow, what a stunningly up close view of Titan and there's so
many squares in the image, that appear to interfere with
what otherwise would have been a breathtakingly HD photo.

Are those digital artifacts from compression, because it completely
ruined the picture. Inside the squares, the detail goes from HD to crap!

Anyone else seeing this? Or do I need a new pair of glasses?

Rebel 5

edit on 4-11-2014 by rebelv because: syntax

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rebelv

I believe that's because it's a composite image made from several pictures laid on top of one another.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Absolutely beautiful. I hate the fact that most likely, we'll never be able to see the sights of other planets up close and personal during our lifetime. How amazing it would be to stand on alien soil, though.
edit on 4-11-2014 by U4ea82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Is this picture taken in the visible spectrum? Or is this enhanced and altered to be visible? I've heard that the radar mapping pics could be colored showing what seems like water but is actually an error. I forgot where I read that but I'll try to find the link.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM

I'm not sure, but that's an excellent question.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM
Not quite visible, near infrared. But certainly not radar. It is, indeed, an image of sunlight reflecting off of a sea of methane (and stuff).

This particular sunglint was so bright as to saturate the detector of Cassini's Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) instrument, which captures the view. It is also the sunglint seen with the highest observation elevation so far -- the sun was a full 40 degrees above the horizon as seen from Kraken Mare at this time -- much higher than the 22 degrees seen in PIA18433. Because it was so bright, this glint was visible through the haze at much lower wavelengths than before, down to 1.3 microns.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex
Oh ya who needs to dig in the ground when you literally got a moon full of fuel which would last you for longer then all the oil we got underground here on earth. But methane power is not in style, we will have to wait till somebody digs up mars and finds oceans of oil or something, hey you never know, but if they find planets or moons which have oil in them, well it sure will change the outlook on if there was life once on them planets and moons.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird
Except for the minor detail of the cost of getting there and then bringing it back. That would be some very pricey petrol.

edit on 11/5/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You're kidding right? Green Peace and other orgs like them would never let it happen. After all, there might be some lowly amoeba somewhere in the deepest depths of Titan's hydrocarbon seas, and how could we even think about altering its pristine environment by raping and pillaging it with or evil industrial capitalist ways?

Most likely if they find an amoeba in them there moons it wont be able to survive outside its environment, but if it does and gets shipped back to earth. Well things like that especially if it was a virus would likely kill of a whole host of humans before it adjusts to human biology. Think of the Ebola thing only you know, actually deadly.

The majority of viruses only kill there hosts during shift changes and usually only when they evolve to transmit from different hosts, but there is a reason why a good chunk of human DNA was put there by viruses and are viruses, yes humanity is part virus. Which is why something like Ebola is insignificant, its actually just part of biology and the system, if it were deadly we would be seeing millions of deaths by now in Africa and at least a few thousand here in the states and counting by now. Which would be happening if a virus that is not terrestrial in origin would happen to come to earth, it would be like the black death only not so friendly.

But ya its just as likely that if they start siphoning fuel they would bring something back like a bug or a virus, remember they practically exist to adapt, and if they can adapt to living and thriving in an environment that is practically impossible for most organisms here on earth to do so, well i think they can also adapt to the less harsh environment and life on earth. Though if its a virus, till it adjusts to us, our genome, and our biology, and environment, it could mean plenty of death in the mean time.

So ya its quite possible that amoeba you all are so worried about and take so lightly would out survive you all, including the whole human race by a long shot, and millions of years from now when the human race is extinct and likely because they blew themselfs up or destroyed there environment, who knows? Maybe complicated life may just appear out of those lowly amoebas on the moon titan, and one day they just may build cities and spaceships and come to earth and marvel at all the junk in the ground they find.

But hey all of that would be redundant, we already have a very complicated form of critters including viruses trying to breach space and travel to new hosts here on earth, all they have to do is breach the atmosphere and beyond. At most fear. Time will tell I suppose.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage
Cost is of no issue when the journey pays for itself. But like I said methane power is not in style.

Besides its redundant.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

Cost is of no issue when the journey pays for itself.

How does the journey pay for itself?

Is it worth it to fly to Paris to bring back a bottle of wine?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join