It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Stunning View Of Sunlit Seas On Titan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+36 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I looked and didn't see this posted anywhere. My apologies if it has.

As NASA's Cassini spacecraft soared past Saturn's moon Titan, it recently caught a glimpse of bright sunlight reflecting off hydrocarbon seas. In the past, Cassini had captured, separately, views of the polar seas and the sun glinting off them, but this is the first time both have been seen together in the same view.

Link
edit on 3-11-2014 by RockerDom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Wow, imagine what a surreal view that would be if you could stand at one of those shores and see it. Not water, but essentially oceans full of fuel ! Obviously not enough O2 to turn the place into an inferno. Incredible solar system we have.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

nice pic Rocker but your link goes to the ATS upload page? Or is that just me?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
how cool is that? stunning.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

Very cool indeed. But yeah, the link wants me to upload a pic as well. S&F for the pic though!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Sorry about that guys. I fixed the link.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
So how long before we can get tankers there to start syphoning off all that methane? Why bother with boring, dusty Mars when there's petro-chem glory to be had on Titan. Though I did get a chill bump moment when I saw the image earlier. It is quite a glorious view.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: quercusrex

So how long before we can get tankers there to start syphoning off all that methane?

As soon as the corporations figure out how to dock them in Earth orbit without burning them up in the atmosphere. Imagine a million ton fire ball of crude burning up in the atmosphere and raining junk down on earth because the retros didn't fire?

I won't go into the size parachutes need to "soft land" in the ocean.

Exxon tanker docks in space, lol.

(I know you were just kidding). I found the humor in it.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
finally....

S&F

good thread...

FINALLY..

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
So how long before we can get tankers there to start syphoning off all that methane? Why bother with boring, dusty Mars when there's petro-chem glory to be had on Titan. Though I did get a chill bump moment when I saw the image earlier. It is quite a glorious view.

You're kidding right?

Green Peace and other orgs like them would never let it happen. After all, there might be some lowly amoeba somewhere in the deepest depths of Titan's hydrocarbon seas, and how could we even think about altering its pristine environment by raping and pillaging it with or evil industrial capitalist ways?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Never fear, we will all ways find a means to bring a commodity to market. Until we can get there and retrieve it our methane will just have to stay safely kept in the bank of Titan.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Space... the final frontier. I'm looking forward to the future of space! Corporate greed be damned, it's a fascinating place. Pictures like these spark the imagination and curiosity of us mere mortals. They inspire us to keep reaching for the stars.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: RockerDom

Thank you for posting. Saturn is my favorite place out there, and I have a grandson being born in January and will have the name Titan. It's always a good day when we get a little closer to all of that wonder out there.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Titans seas put The Sexy back into Hydrocarbons.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I can just picture you, zazz. Sixty foot schooner gently rolling at anchor on a methane bay under gentle Saturn glow with the rings stretching across the sky. You're on the foredeck, stretching...

Never mind. I'll be in my bunk.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

You realise that you just wished me floating in essentially what is a lake of fart?

Spose its safe as you can't ignite that type of pop off as Titan has no oxygen...I have that in my favour at least.
Thanks

edit on 3-11-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

You realise that you just wished me floating in essential what is a lake of liquid fart?

But, it's glassy. And, and... Saturn. And, and.. the rings.

Geez, you really know how to spoil the mood. I was going to bring some Ganymede Chardonnay but no, you had to bring up farts.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

edit on 3-11-2014 by solarstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I wander what the effects of Titan would be on a bottle of Chardonnay? Something like the bends?
I certainly would have had my surface arteries pop and my skin would be a purplish blue before the cork was popped.

edit on 3-11-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I think I just witnessed a flirtatious Phage!? *blinks* Nice to know you don't loose your first love of science in the pursuit
I'd expect a Ganymede Chardonnay to be rather unpleasant due to frost damage to the grapes?

Anyhoo, what an amazing image! Shame it's a composite though, but it will do for a desktop

edit on 3-11-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join