It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Homeless Mind [SEC2014]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The bartender slams down a shot glass in front of me, it twirls slightly before resting in its proper position. I look at him as he fills the glass with Tennessee whiskey, the good kind, he has hazel eyes, clear and cognizant, balding but not ashamed of it. His face is weathered and stressed, a man that has known the plow. His tales are all there hidden, albeit thinly, behind a veil of barely restrained tears. I reach out, pick up the glass, down the sweet burning whiskey, slam the glass down and gesture for another, the barkeep obliges, filling the glass.

“You know?” I say, “I used to be a college professor?”

“No, kidding?” says the barkeep, obviously skeptical.

“Yup. I quit, though. Lost my wife. Kids.” I gesture emphatically and sigh, “whole world of... I'm homeless now though. Wander around sleeping in parks. I have money still though, some. No debt.” I smile ironically, the barkeep is obviously uncomfortable. Maybe he can feel the taint. I quaff the whiskey and gesture for a third, barkeep performs his function. “So get this, right,” my pulse quickens, “last night I was looking for a place to sleep, it was raining remember? Anyway, I was looking for a place to bed down for the night, so I was wandering around the canals down by the old railway station, you know the one,” Barkeep nods, still the skeptic, “So I was wandering around in these tunnels and I came across this tunnel that leads down toward the river, I follow it a while and it becomes like a cave, right, no more concrete like the canal is, you know. I keep walking down this tunnel that is basically a cave. Mind you, now I'm curious, I had no idea this was in this town and I never seen anything like anywhere else, I've been homeless and wandering for two years now, I keep walking and see up ahead there are two reddish glows, I keep going and they turn out to be candles, red candles. I take one and keep walking on. Not far ahead of where I found the candles I come across a door in an old wooden jamb, the nails are obviously antique even in the candle light. So I reach out and turn the handle, it opens and I walk through into a spiraling staircase that leads downward. There is a waterfall cascading downward from a crag above, it lands on the steps and follows them down. The steps are slick and covered in red lichens. I make my way down them slowly but surely at a steady pace. The water is unavoidable and soaks me through as I make my descent. After a time I reach the bottom of the stairs and find another door. This door is large old wood and bound in iron. There is no knob but a hangar with a keyhole. I reach out and pull on the hangar but the door won't budge. So I spend some time looking around and eventually find a key with some of that red lichen growing all over it so I pull the key and clear the lichen from it. Its sticky and tough but I manage to get it all off. I go to the door and insert the key and turn. I hear the lock click and pull the door open. A waft of cold air greets me as I make my way through, the air is stale but chilly. I continue walking on for a ways and come across a large chasm with a land bridge spanning the distance. So I walk across the bridge. About halfway through I stop because... I could have sworn I heard chanting... Did you hear that chanting?... I keep walking and make it across the bridge and now I am sure I hear chanting, “IA IA...” a thrumming pulse. I hear it and I keep walking. Its getting closer now and I'm chanting with it “IA IA!” I scream as I make my way through a large break in the cave. It opens into a large lighted cavern. A great stone statue looms over a crowd of robed figures all chanting, “IA IA!” in rhythmic frenzy I can't quite make out what the statue is a man or a god or a fish or a demon, I chant “IA!”. I continue chanting thought I don't know why. The chanting builds to a thunderous roar as everyone yells “IA!” at the top of their lungs, all the hooded figures and a man in a crimson robe not black like the others comes from the left and stands behind an altar that lies beneath the statue of the god – I am sure its a God now – and, hooded so his face is never revealed to me, gestures with his left hand, a man is walked up to the altar. There is a bag over his head with X's drawn where his eyes would be. Two acolytes in black robes lay the man on the altar and the priest draws a long dagger from his robes and plunges it into the man's chest as they all shout “IA!” slowly and rhythmically... The statue shifts and shimmers like a breaking mirror, a stitch in time, like the sound of a mind breaking, mind breaking, and the face of God, no older than God, much older and more than what we know, could ever now, a tentacle faced horror like the nightmare of the devil himself and its looking right at me, like the sound of a mind breaking and... and...” I look up and I'll be damned if I'm not in the bar any more. I'm in... some kind of restraints, the walls are padded white... and... dear God...
edit on Cpm5Monday4820142030Mon, 03 Nov 2014 17:48:20 -06002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: cannot abide a typo

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Loved it!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Excellent!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Visitor2012

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

Lol, that was pretty epic

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

Thanks, glad you liked it!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Outstanding!

I hardly ever lean forward in my seat to read something…

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Truly glad you liked it! Thanks!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Thanks to your avatar, I hear every one of your comments in an epic Dragon Ball Z narration style.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Enjoyed this!

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks, glad you liked it!

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Loved the story and the twist at the end

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Great Story!! A Very Good Read!!!
Syx.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Thank you!

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It wasnt Cthulhu..

just his night watch on patrol

LOL

an old joke a friend used to say.. I am going to send him the link on it and sees if he reads it

To white padded cells

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ripcontrol

Thanks, at least someone caught the obvious nod to Lovecraft.

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Nice. But too short, want more! iA!

posted on Nov, 6 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Cool.
Down the rabbit hole.
Interesting. Starts off as being told to the barman, then shift to being told to the reader.
Who is the barman?

My take: Psychotic, yet on the wagon, alcoholic, wakes from 'dream' in an asylum.
Coffee may be cold.

Deus ex machina

or, if the story continues, crafty anachronistic contortions(flash back/forward), yet to be pieced together by the reader.
edit on 6-11-2014 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join