It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photographs of Sellafield nuclear plant prompt fears over radioactive risk

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

It may very well work, in fact, most likely....but would you want the responsibility of launching all that material on the top of a very powerful explosive rocket that may just blow up on launch?

Good plan in theory, too many risks.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Here in County Down, MP's and councillors have been shouting about Sellafield for decades. A Cod Supper here is called a Sellafield Supper.

www.downnews.co.uk...

If those tanks ever drain there could be spontaneous combustion of those fuel rods, and possible steam explosion with radioactive release in general. It doesn't look good even just thinking about it, those pictures just make it even worse.

edit on 3-11-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

This whole game of nuclear waste is full of risks...rockets explode in the atmosphere quite rarely (although I can't find a decent statistic to show what percentage of launches fail). I wonder if that would be any higher of a risk than the conditions of many of the world's nuclear plants already pose to nearby civilizations...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I`m more worried about the nuke tests that have been carried out by world governments.
Cancer is rampant on this planet yet there`s hardly anything said about how these tests have contributed.

Governments will blame smoking and lifestyles but surely these tests have caused all types of illnesses worldwide.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambros56
I`m more worried about the nuke tests that have been carried out by world governments.
Cancer is rampant on this planet yet there`s hardly anything said about how these tests have contributed.

Governments will blame smoking and lifestyles but surely these tests have caused all types of illnesses worldwide.

Good point-we are essentialy living in the aftermath of a slow nuclear war,over one thousand detonations in the sea,in the air over a 40 odd year period.
Ever played DEFCON the computer game?
Now watch our real DEFCON nuke test timelapse video:

Humans...YOU LOSE.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

They can make clean, safe sources of energy mainstream. Greed and control makes sure it's suppressed.

This form of energy will end up setting us back years.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I had a source from Sellerfield two years ago who said there was a small leak already underneath one of the ponds and it had been 'subdued' temporarily.

And as bad as this is going to sound folks.. This is why we need the Cumbria facility to be built asap. So that the nuclear material can be broken down into small storable pieces, as in it's current state it is far too big to transport and store safely.

Thus it must be cut apart by remote operators at Sellerfield before transportation, then it can be put in a lead cask and stored 1Mile underground the beautiful Cumbrian countryside..

Ironic really that we finally found a fuel source we can't get rid of

Edit: At least I think it was Cumbria they were going to build the mineshaft..
edit on 3/11/2014 by L.A.B because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: intrptr

Of course they know what to do with it. They know to pass it on to future generations and let them worry about the effects.

Today's problem is tomorrow's disaster.

Just like National Debt and blow back from their endless wars, toxins are hand me down forever, too.

Sorry, future.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

The solution they have proposed for all waste in the UK is to bury it, in an underground repository. They are currently looking for a suitable site, which looks like it could be under the existing Sellafield site as a large percentage of the waste is already there. You are talking about an area the size of Carlisle under a national park, where the main water table is located, with countless collapsing mineshafts all around, mini earthquakes and to top it off, they want to frack the area!

Sorry for the delay. Good ol' ingenuity!

If they wait long enough , an answer will be provided for their dilemma . There will be a leak, then a fire and they will seal off the area. Then use fire hoses to flush it all away. Down all those "shafts".

No more problem.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
a reply to: L.A.B

I would love to go into detail why Cumbria is such a bad choice, but it would take too long (getting ready for work at the moment), and besides, I laid it all out in another thread I made....

Cumbria, UK: Nuclear waste dump mineshaft fracking mess!

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

The problem there is, Cumbria supplies a large area of the UK (the north at least) with fresh water from the lakes, if that nasty stuff, even in small quantities, got into the water table we would all be pretty knackered....

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Put the waste into heavy gauge steel drums, load them aboard a specially built submarine, offload the drums into the subduction trenches, then in 250 thousand years, the 'cool' waste will pop up in volcanic lava.
Remember you read it here first!

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

The problem there is, Cumbria supplies a large area of the UK (the north at least) with fresh water from the lakes, if that nasty stuff, even in small quantities, got into the water table we would all be pretty knackered....

I learned a new word today, lol. knackered

How do you know it isn't leaking already? Those pools have been there how long? Thing is about containing waste is… its uncontainable. The longer its around the more it leaks. In the US we have well known leaks from tank farms, at weapons many. sites, barrels of stored waste blowing up, etc.

We are the grandfather of every thing nuke. The whole fuel cycle thing is a mess here. Waiting to pay the price.

Images

The picture of those tanks in the open air is particularly disturbing. Dust settles, birds settle, bird poop settles, leaves, bugs and smog settle. Oxidation settles in and rust eats everything. Some of those little crate or racks of fuel look "covered" with something.

There are hundreds of tons of fuel there.

Tick, tock…

Thanks for bringing it.

ETA: Oh yah, by the way… Besides cooling, thats another primary reason why they place these fargging reactors at or on large water sources. In case of leak or disaster, flushing the stuff away is the best expedient option. (ETA: See Fukushima) Besides, who's going to prove down the road that they got cancer form some particular toxin or other? They don't care how many people die of it. As long as they don't have to pay for it, or clean up the mess.

These pictures bear that out. They keep saying they will do something about it, they have been saying that all along about nuclear waste. And yet there it sits. Decades worth of excuses and promises… building up with no action taken to prevent the inevitable.

edit on 4-11-2014 by intrptr because: additional

edit on 4-11-2014 by intrptr because: further

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yes I read an article the other day that they think fission is possible and are currently working on something. Sooner than later I hope

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

I have often wondered if cancer from the 1940's onwards showed more cases than prior to then....and smoking and such like is just a coverup to avoid major lawsuits.

By the way intrptr, if you want a language chuckle, Cumbria (where Sellafield is based) has its own unique dialect, have a gander at our dictionary and try not to crack a smile

www.gonmad.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Thanks for the ROFL dialect link.

I have often wondered if cancer from the 1940's onwards showed more cases than prior to then….and smoking and such like is just a coverup to avoid major lawsuits.

Cigarettes are real enough harmful. They killed me.

I agree with you, there are so many deaths from cancer nowadays. The toxins in the environment from industrial pollution are all contributing to that, imo.

its not from "to much sun", or "bad diet" or "not enough exercise". We are choking on the effluence running off our civilization.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
One would think that some of the strictest regulations in any country would center around nuclear power plants, or anything having to do with radioactive materials. We all know about the disaster at the plant in Japan, but I imagine that few are aware of the corner-cutting that occurred when the facility was constructed, and how those failures had some impact on what occurred at the facility when it was hit. There should be strict regulations and even stricter enforcement of those rules where nuclear power plants are concerned. Such a facility should never have been allowed to even approach this level of deterioration in my opinion, as it is just common sense. An ounce of prevention just makes more sense than dealing with the severe impacts of a disaster, even a small-scale accident, because we are talking about radioactivity. And not the kind of radioactivity that one experiences when they are active with their radios. No, the bad kind, just in case someone was confused.
edit on 11/5/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join