It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes It Is Just A Rock

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I've seen so many threads on "things" found on Mars lately. I am as open-minded and curious as the next person, but I doubt all these objects found on Mars via pictures taken from the Mars Curiosity Rover are all proof of aliens or an ancient civilization.

Now I am not a scientist but if there was proof of a past civilization, then wouldn't it be easier to find it below the surface?
(I'm just speculating.)

So today I went to NASA's website and randomly clicked on a picture.
www.nasa.gov...

Please click the link to view picture in larger format.

I've found 3 "objects" right away.

1.A mask or a fossilized head, you be the judge:

Again to view better please look where I put a red box around it in the main picture, and click the link if you want to see it in larger format.
It reminded me of the alien head from the movie Prometheus:

2. Gear

It looks like some type of gear, or something that fell out of a car.

3. Triangles

Were they carved millions of years ago? Or are they just a natural formation?
Here's a typical flower from our planet:

I also saw something that looked like a Japanese monster from those old Godzilla movies, but I won't waste your precious time.
I'm sure if I looked longer I could find more things in that picture. ( I only looked for about 10 minutes.)

I believe that a lot of times we see things because it's either wishful thinking, or a case of pareidolia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm so excited about the planned manned mission to Mars, and am always eager to read the latest space exploration news, but when it comes to pictures taken from Mars, I think it is safe to say, that they are rocks.

What do you think?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

A million years from now, will some other civilization be having this same discussion on their ATS about us?
"Dude, they're just rocks. You know. Pareidolia. None of that stuff about humans is true. Science has never found any evidence whatsoever."
edit on 11/3/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
i agree with you.
We are pattern seeking animals, and that's what people do when looking at these pictures, it's all in our head.
and there is also the desire to be the person that discovers something, that gets in the spotlight for generating attention around the "thing". so anything that kinda looks like something is automatically blown out of proportion. i believe in technical terms it's called "throwing crap to the wall and seeing if anything sticks"

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Probably do already on planets just like ours.

Wonder what their catch all explanation is if other more advanced ET's are visiting them too?

But yeah OP, sometimes, actually more often than not, it's odd shaped rocks.

edit on 3-11-2014 by MysterX because: added text

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Funny Klassified.

But honestly if all these "objects" we find on pictures taken from Mars all the time were real, then wouldn't Nasa either be:
1. trying to cover it up, alter the photos
2. announce it to the world-we've found objects on Mars,which indicates a civilization must have lived there a long, long time ago.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yes, I have got that, but do you have anything else to say other that people can see shapes in the sky? Are you throwing out "the baby with the bath water" as an a priori assumption?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rainbowresidue

Funny Klassified.

But honestly if all these "objects" we find on pictures taken from Mars all the time were real, then wouldn't Nasa either be:
1. trying to cover it up, alter the photos
2. announce it to the world-we've found objects on Mars,which indicates a civilization must have lived there a long, long time ago.

Well, it was meant to be lighthearted, but also serious. Lets not take the all or nothing approach. ALL is very unlikely. What if just one or two of those "rocks" are instead artifacts? When I see these threads, I start feeling like I'm in the religious forums, and the atheists and xtians are having another go.

1. Would they? Or would they just ignore it, and let you think what you want to. They can always deny it if it goes viral. Damn nutjobs seeing things again.
2. That isn't going to happen. "I think it's safe to say", there will be no upfront disclosure, no matter what is found.

To me, a true skeptic is open to all possibilities.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Rainbowresidue

Wouldn't NASA be:

1. trying to cover it up, alter the photos 2. announce it to the world-we've found objects on Mars,which indicates a civilization must have lived there a long, long time ago.

How about this?
A lot of people are convinced that the long-awaited 'disclosure' is about to happen, where the government finally admits E.T.'s are real, and they have been working directly with them since the 40's. Maybe these pictures are 'disclosure'!
They allow us to see proof of Martian past civilizations, and convince ourselves that 'we're not alone'. How sneaky of them! They let us see the truth, without culpability for all their years of denial!

Or,....It's just a rock.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

Wouldn't NASA be:

1. trying to cover it up, alter the photos 2. announce it to the world-we've found objects on Mars,which indicates a civilization must have lived there a long, long time ago.

How about this?
A lot of people are convinced that the long-awaited 'disclosure' is about to happen, where the government finally admits E.T.'s are real, and they have been working directly with them since the 40's. Maybe these pictures are 'disclosure'!
They allow us to see proof of Martian past civilizations, and convince ourselves that 'we're not alone'. How sneaky of them! They let us see the truth, without culpability for all their years of denial!

Or,....It's just a rock.

Yes, that would be sneaky.

And I am not saying all the objects are rocks.
I even put it in my title: sometimes
I just believe sometimes these objects are rocks+ shadow/lighting.

Perhaps when people actually go to Mars, they can search for artifacts, and take better pictures of them if they exist, instead of these pictures that get too blurry when you zoom them up and can be seen as anything basically.

edit on 3/11/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Who cares if it was just rocks? I personally love these threads and who knows, maybe some aren't rocks. Nobody knows unless we'd get there and have a closer look. I am quite certain that there was a civilisation on mars once. Of course that is only my belief from what I read and watched. So I wouldn't be surprised if there were actual archaeological bits and pieces lying around. However if they turn out to e just rocks, that'll be also fine with me.

ATS is a brilliant website to put these pictures forward, so who are you OP to get 'annoyed' with people who are interested and love to see these images and discuss them?
99 times I have to agree that they are just rocks and a healthy dose of pareidolia but that doesn't mean we shouldn't post them here or that I don't find these things interesting.

I do not want to be berated about the stuff I'd like to read, thank you very much. If it winds you up, then don't click on the threads and everyone will be happy.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666
Whoa! Easy there. I don't think the OP was trying to be asinine or judgmental. She was just giving her opinion, which is just as valid as yours or mine. I didn't see anything offensive or berating in the OP. Perhaps read it again?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I'm not annoyed, nor am I trying to tell you what you can and cannot read.

This thread is about rocks from Mars, and how sometimes people tend to see more than there actually is to see.

I was only expressing my opinion. I think you are reading more into this then there is.

edit on 3/11/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

After your post, I re-read my OP, and even asked my husband to look at it.
I wasn't rude, or belittling, nor was I telling anyone what to believe or what to do.
Except when I asked people to click on the link for a larger picture.
I created this thread to discuss various pictures taken of rocks on Mars, and even perhaps discuss strange looking rocks I found in the picture.

Dear Hecate,
I read a lot of threads on ATS, but space exploration is especially close to my heart.
And ever since the manned mission to Mars was announced, I'm even more excited.
If you knew me a little, you'd know I didn't mean to insult anyone.
If I insulted you, then I truly apologize.

edit on 3/11/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: added a thought and an apology to Hecate

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It's not what you present as that something on Mars is something out of the ordinary. But what you discus with others with an open mind .

I'm very curious about Mars and I'm trying to understand why science has so much interest in this planet that they're saying has so much similarities with earth in the past .

By taking the definitions from their own perspective they tell us that the possibility could be that there's still life or was in the past.
So somehow they trigger science and people to investigate their photographs that they present to public . Not only to research but also to show how Mars looks at the moment .

there's nothing wrong with people who want to discus their findings . But there will be if what we present is going to be sold as being real . We are not in that possition to tell the world of what we found on pictures from NASA that to be a major discovery. Only scientists and NASA themself have that clearance to tell us the truth.

We only can trigger the senses of those who study the Martian surface and pick up our findings true or not IMO.

Peace

edit on 0b44America/ChicagoMon, 03 Nov 2014 09:51:44 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoMon, 03 Nov 2014 09:51:44 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1

I'm very curious about Mars and I'm trying to understand why science has so much interest in this planet that they're saying has so much similarities with earth in the past .

Thank you Observer,

Perhaps they want to see Earth's future by studying Mars' past?

Just brainstorming here.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Perhaps they want to see Earth's future by studying Mars' past? 

That sure is one possibility , but also future resources and terraforming for future missions could be one of those things I think..

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is strictly my opinion Rainbow, but I think NASA already had a good idea of what was on Mars before they went there. I don't think it is such a crazy idea that there was once a civilization on Mars. I've seen enough in those rocks to at least entertain the possibility, and lean in that direction. At the same time, I have no need for that to be the case, or to have my bias confirmed. I'm comfortable either way.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
As an active poster and "explorer" (not as much lately but I'll be back at it) on the Mars anomaly thread (see my signature for a link, and click on the ! for a direct link to recent Mars photo uploads) I've jumped the gun on a few items and opened up new threads about them. I'd consider only two of those to have some credibility, one because a medical doctor was willing to have his or her identity exposed to come out and say the object(s) discussed in it may be real fossils. I didn't expose him or her, although he or she told me I could.

The point is, of course most if not all discoveries on Mars are just rocks. But there have been some, quite a few now, that cross a threshold which doesn't have a name: that if there is a one-percent chance that it may be evidence of a Mars fossil, that professionals in their fields might benefit from taking a look at it. These one-percenters on the anomalies thread, and there are a few, hold promise. The pics in the OP here don't. Almost all threads about Mars rocks don't. But there are some keepers, and those are the ones which are chronicled on ATS when, and if, the Rover happens to run across something much more evidentially as it travels further into the direct vicinity and explores the landscape of Mt. Sharp.
edit on 3-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Actually, it is always just a rock.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Please.

If NASA found artifacts on the moon or Mars, do you know what would happen?

NASA would never want for money again.
edit on 3-11-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I guess folks cannot conceive of beings from other worlds who dont look like us. Why do you need to have a nice safe picture of the world inside your head?

Any beings who have had millions or billions of years to evolve would not necessarily by bipedal, not necessarily be carbon-based, not necessarily anything like us at all. Woo...scary isn't it? All of the safe Earth-based rules of physics and biology thrown out of the window, meaningless and useless.

Think of something really weird and there is probably a sentient being which looks like it somewhere in the universe due to the way it has evolved and adapted in its home environment. That includes all of the things on our Earth and more too. Including rocks, giant ants, etc.

They do not even have to live on a planet that can support human life either - maybe even Mars for example.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join