It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK and the EU, do you want in or out?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Also, please remember it was the BRITISH prime-minister (Heath) that said "yes". He was not forced, nor did he do it on impulse. See this snippet from the BBC newssite:

That's possibly why he wasn't prime minister for very long?

The people didn't have a say at that time.........

Membership applications by the UK to join the EEC were refused in 1963 and 1967 because the French President of the time Charles de Gaulle doubted the UK's political will. It is understood, however, his real fear was that English would suddenly become the common language of the community.
.. and to be honest, old De Gaulle was right, as English now is the common language of the community...

And they ?? say we have no clout?

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

I've been saying for ages how important FDI is for the UK. There's loads of businesses that have setup headquarters and business in the UK due to the incentives from the UK and E.U. memberships, free trade agreements etc. Were the leading European destination for FDI.

Where as world FDI inflow drops it increases in the UK!

Without membership a high % will setup shop elsewhere. Obviously we will still trade but it wont be on the same terms. As you have said before freeborn, there is no such thing as amicable divorce.

In spite saying that, my view isn't what it once was, the fact is the E.U. is no longer our biggest exporter and with the rise of BRIC it will only influence this more. You could argue we can pick up the flack of FDI based on the freedom to trade greater on our terms and our rules.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg
Close your borders. Do your own dirty work for a change instead of leaving it to the continentals for peanuts. Stop consuming these foul goods from the continent
Nobody in this thread has advocated closing borders, just leaving the EU and the situation where any EU national can work and live in the UK regardless of if the UK needs them or not. You know, that quite normal and common 'needs based' immigration policy control other sovereign countries have in the world.

Regarding Brits doing the 'dirty work', I support that entirely. The removal of competition by Eastern EU workers who will work for less than the minimum wage is a benefit for the UK. I am self employed in construction/building maintenance and know loads of Polish blokes who will do a 10 hour day for £50 to get the work. Everyone I know in different parts of the UK says the same even if nobody in the media has the guts to just come out and say it for PC reasons. I will be glad to see restrictions on unskilled/semi skilled workers into the UK from the EU, in the same way we restrict unskilled worker rights to Turkish nationals for example.

And who is asking to cease trading with the EU? I'm not, and there is no reason for us to stop enjoying a friendly world of trade with our neighbours, the UK does actually trade with countries we are not in political union with. Germany will still want us to buy BMW's & Mercedes and any trade tariffs would cut both ways...in any case there is EFTA, you know, the agreement to trade with each other, or do you not wish for the UK to join that?

The rest of your reply seemed rather angry and emotional though so I shall dismiss it as silliness perhaps due to being unaware of the differences between EU and EFTA.
...have a cup of tea, it can often help

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do you know.... I'm honestly not that bothered one way or the other.
As it is now, I'd say out, be like Norway and still trade and have ties, but do our own thing.
They make it out like it's all or nothing and being out means we'd never speak to the rest of Europe again.
But I'd happily stay in and renegotiate too.... It's not an issue that I'm hugely worried about to be honest.
Whether corrupt politicians in the UK dictate to us or corrupt European politicians.... it makes no difference.

I think we can run our own affairs but I'm also cool with being in a European club, provided it's fair and equal and not in the mess it is now.

posted on Nov, 7 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup
Right now the only way I see to prevent the situations which I've previously explained I do not support is to leave the EU, so in the event of a referendum I will vote 'out' and support free-trade similar to Norway.
If the 'renegotiation' you described resulted in solving the challenges I perceive now for the UK then yes of course I could be tempted to reconsider my position...but it would have to be on a close par with EFTA or I probably wouldn't be interested.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join