It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK and the EU, do you want in or out?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific
Ooh, that's a tricky one for me!
As I've said a few times here I am not a UKIP supporter per se, my vote will be a shameless single issue with the ultimate aim of an in/out referendum.
If all of them offer a straight and honest 'in/out' vote then I'm gonna have to think about things a bit more. I've never been a member of a political party and I don't trust any of them to be honest, last time I voted I was 'party blind' and the hard-working local MP got my vote solely because I have had professional dealings with them and really liked the person. How about you?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter
I see challenges of course, but a UK free of the EU could possibly be more attractive for employers to operate in without so much red-tape/pointless laws and/or offering a more competitive market with perks and sweeteners/lower taxes and the like?.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I am the complete opposite, I would rather stay in the EU than have UKIP gain power and intend to vote stategically as I am also non affiliated.

Hope we do not cancell each other out!

a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Haha the intricacies of politics!
Getting out of the EU is the most important issue to me though so if it means a lame-arsed government of any flag to make it happen I'll take it and worry about the details afterwards. They are all pretty much self serving but at least we have some control over UK politicians compared to the unelected EU Commission.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I wouldn't trust Labour to fulfill any promise even if they did, which they won't. They have a recent track history of promising things before elections then doing the exact opposite right after. Not to mention the fact Ed Milliband is just revolting and unelectable.

Not that the Tories are much better, but they have historically been anti-Europe and have had lost elections over the infighting because of it, so I think if they did promise it - and it's worth noting we've already started the process of legalising the referendum in Parliament - it might swing a few tory voters back, including myself, as there are quite a few UKIP policies I don't like, such as scrapping HS2, bloody shortsighted policy that is.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

You're assuming that there would be no free trade agreement, of course there would, why not? There is a thing called the EFTA - Norway and Switzerland do quite well in that - why could the UK not participate as well as negotiating it's own trade agreements.

(EDIT: In fact, the UK was a member of the EFTA until it joined the EU in 1973, sold to us then as a better trade agreement)

Also, as a member of the WTO, neither the EU or the UK could impose tarriffs on each other without a bloody good reason.
edit on 4/11/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/11/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason
How can we as a nation represent ourselves? Now look at Britain now. All of our utilities are foreign owned, our top manufacturing companies are foreign owned, Our top service industries are foreign owned, great swathes of our farm land is foreign owned.Just what is ours to represent. Nothing. We as a country are in the EU for one specific reason(you have been reading about it for a while) we are a stepping stone for American and Japanese companies to get their goods into Europe. Why are the Americans telling us to stay in the EU? Why is Toyota and other Japanese companies only built factories in Britain and not Europe?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Have you just given up then?
...I haven't, and if enough people think the same we have plenty of opportunities.
By the way may I ask, do you support an in/out referendum?

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So basically we have the right to vote.

We can have a kick in the balls, a poke in the right eye or one in the left.

I love democracy.

It's better than America though, they get to choose between a kick in the balls and a poke in the eye or a kick in the balls and a poke in the eye.

a reply to: stumason

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
So basically we have the right to vote

Yep, and hopefully in a referendum which ratifies either the UK's continued membership of the EU, or it's exit.

On a side note I'm sure this community not far from me will be voting out:
Disaster for North Devon fishing industry
An entire village fishing industry is about to be wiped out due to EU national quotas yet they have caught less than their allocation in the Bristol Channel, and have introduced sustainable practices with 'no fishing' zones. The UK has reached it's national annual catch quota so unlucky North Devon, the EU says No.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Not wishing to hi jack your thread .... I was wondering what others think....

as has been reported that Germany's Angela Merkel has stated that she was

prepared to "let the UK leave the EU."

If this becomes already in the pipe line before the election, then UKIP

will have lost their main reason to getting votes?

Personally I don't believe any party will get a working majority, but I think

UKIP will be the best for a co-illation and to shake up the present status quo!

That statement by Angela Merkel that she was Prepared to let the UK leave

the EU
rather than discuss any changes in policies etc. reeks of a dictatorship

rather than democracy, which is another reason for the UK to leave.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I find it somewhat worrying that Germany has the right to decide what the UK can or can not do.

I feel this statement will be put to good use over coming months not just by UKIP but by other political partys and tabloids alike.

I do not wish to sound like a nationalist or drag up the past but we have a history of disliking Gemany telling us what to do.

It seems we live in interesting times.

a reply to: eletheia

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I find it somewhat worrying that Germany has the right to decide what the UK can or can not do.
I feel this statement will be put to good use over coming months not just by UKIP but by other political partys and tabloids alike.
I do not wish to sound like a nationalist or drag up the past but we have a history of disliking Gemany telling us what to do.
It seems we live in interesting times.

I find it very disturbing that any country has any right over another country

to make decisions be they minor or major, for any other country.

I don't find that being nationalistic ..... just a case for keeping

ones (country) nose out of another's (countries) business ..... The words

dictatorship and bullying come to mind.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So I would suggest that for Farage to actually win, not just shake up, or be a part of a coalition, but actually win the next general election, all he has to do is agree contractually to call an in/out EU referendum within the first six months, followed by an immediate general election there after.

That works for me.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
In a "My work here is done"

Kind of election campaign?

a reply to: idmonster

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Yup, they have no other policies, and know that they are the current "protest vote".

I think a lot more people would vote UKIP if they knew they wouldn't get into power, but wont, in case everyone else thinks the same, and they do.

Hows that for screwed up reasoning.

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

So if someone shrugs and says "whatever, do what you want..." you just know that's a dictator... Oh people, seriously, is there anything we Germans could do to end your paranoia? We come in peace. And are kind of nice. And we love you. You're free, no tanks, no bombs just flowers...

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

So if someone shrugs and says "whatever, do what you want..." you just know that's a dictator... Oh people, seriously, is there anything we Germans could do to end your paranoia? We come in peace. And are kind of nice. And we love you. You're free, no tanks, no bombs just flowers...

Sorry I think you have that wrong some how .....

Dictionary definition of 'Dictator' >>>>

A person exercising absolute power especially a ruler who has absolute

unrestricted control in a government. Someone who rules by force

regardless of what others want or need

No one is FREE if they cannot make decisions for THEM SELVES !

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Good, so we share the definition on what dictator means. So, read what you wrote and explain why "you're free to leave" makes Angie one?

posted on Nov, 5 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Good, so we share the definition on what dictator means. So, read what you wrote and explain why "you're free to leave" makes Angie one?

We need to leave to make our own decisions on many things, to control

our own borders, to not pay penalties for our own economy improving,

the continued bleeding of monies by the over bloated EU monster, which

for some reason cannot be audited, and is run by people who we in the UK

have never even had a say in their being in the position of dictating to us

and over ruling our OWN laws.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join