It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK and the EU, do you want in or out?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
IN, with the caveat that there needs to be changes.

I'm not too fussed about immigration from within the EU, although there are concerns with so called "benefit tourists". However, half of UKs immigration is from countries outside of the EU and my concern is where these nationals come from countries with little, or no, cultural association. For example, an Australian has cultural associations, whereas a Somali has no cultural associations. You get my drift.

So, I would stay in so long as the EU can change.

Also, it's not just us because I think many people in Europe want the EU o change.

Regards

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: SoEpic

Some here have claimed that EU has brought benefits. I have to disagree with them on these benefits, Unless they make a million or so then yeah for the rich there always going to be "benefits"

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
I'm interested. What specific changes would you like to see regarding the EU and the UK's continuing membership of it?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I think many people in Europe want the EU o change.

Many people in Europe want EU gone.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter
I'm happy for it to exist, I just want no part of it aside from free trade.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Which way are the English voting...I'll vote the other way.

In all fairness, in or out, nothing will change for the wee Man.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
C'mon Solo, work with us and we can do something great. Just because the Scottish referendum went differently to what you wanted is no reason to stop us working together as an island against the EU.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Why Solo, not like you to playing the 'anyone but England' card.

Why can't you just come out and say that you hate the English?

The fact is, Scotland had a referendum on remaining within the Union or not - we are ALL being denied the same right with regard to the transfer of sovereignty to Brussels.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
A free trade union, yeah.
A Political power house, no.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
What can the EU do better.

Elevate the status of sovereign nations, to sovereign nation status. Only in few areas should European law have pre-eminence over national laws.

Apply rules equally. I am a proponent of high animal welfare standards on farms. I like to eat my bacon with a clear conscience. The UK have implemented fully the EU directive on pig farming, thus making English pigs uncompetitive when compared to Danish pigs where the farmers have (er) not bothered. Loads of examples of nations taking the p1ss!

Total reform of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). CAP is a joke. I have seen farmers grubbing up hedges and then replanting them because of CAP grants. While CAP does some good, it also works against our countryside and makes some farmers very rich while shafting others.

Scrap the chugging between Brussels and Strasbourg as this exemplifies waste.

Introduce total transparency, including sorting out the EU budget so we can see where there is waste.

Need I go on?

Regards

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I thought the
would have given it away.

The only reason the Tories are bringing up the EU question is to appease the voting public. the referendum on in or out of the EU wont happen. They Lie.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If you can't see the advantages: just leave. It's just boring you know, the common wealth is death, so... Go! In peace, while you can....stupid racist drunken #s on benefits blaiming everybody else for being unable to tell a dodo from a cock from a #, nobody needs you....
edit on 3-11-2014 by Peeple because: last chance to see, and all hail to douglas adams!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
The only reason the Tories are bringing up the EU question is to appease the voting public. the referendum on in or out of the EU wont happen. They Lie.

Well, it won't happen if Labour win the next election!

So far, the Tories seem more democratic than their predecessors having held three referenda since they came to power.

1. Welsh devolution "yes"
2. Alternative voting / voting reform "no"
3. Scottish Independence "no"

Regards
edit on 3/11/2014 by paraphi because: oops just corrected the Scottish Ref!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

WE have to stay in but that does not mean we have to accept free movement for our benefit system. Free movement for skilled or unskilled worker has no bearing on the matter. I didn't hear anyone shouting when British tradesmen were going to Germany to earn fantastic money. You have the right to go to Poland or Romania to work. Of course most people would turn their noses up at that because they haven't got the social net or the NHS to fall back on. All we really have to do is make our social network exclusive to our own population and that would stop the vast majority of "migrants". We just have to get our MEPs to fight for our just rights instead of playing party politics, though they can't seem to be able to do that.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
good list, I agree, and I assume you want out of the EU when your equality suggestions do not happen.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple
hahaha loving the stereotypes...I'm a degree educated person who likes the odd drink which I fund from my self employment. I blame only myself for my life situation and I do not wish to be needed.
...ur not the most friendly of folk are you lol

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

You never can tell.....but yeah, I'll give you that one.

I agree with you on this though - as things stand no major political party will hold a straightforward Yes or No referendum on continued membership of the EU.
They will wriggle, squirm and use every trick in the book of political duplicity and underhandedness to ensure it doesn't happen.

Only if or when their backs are against the wall and they have no other option will they give in to public pressure.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
OUT, even Merkel has said she may allow us to leave.

I mean I didn't know we needed Germany's permission, but hey.

Just goes to show who really runs the show. It's definitely a double bluff though, the EU needs us more than we need them, and don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

One things for sure, and that's that we need a leader with some backbone who isn't becoming the laughing stock of Europe. I mean being told what our domestic policies can and can't be by the Germans is ridiculous. Churchill will be turning in his grave.
edit on 3-11-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
Only if or when their backs are against the wall and they have no other option will they give in to public pressure.

...lets push their backs against the wall then.
edit on 2Mon, 03 Nov 2014 14:10:39 -0600pm10112014f39pm11 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
If you can't see the advantages: just leave. It's just boring you know, the common wealth is death, so... Go! In peace, while you can....stupid racist drunken #s on benefits blaiming everybody else for being unable to tell a dodo from a cock from a #, nobody needs you....

Wow was this sarcasm?

There was a Romanian beggar on the street, Miliband happened to give 60p to or something. Anyway upon further digging into this beggar, it was realized that she lived with her auntie, who herself had lived in the UK for the previous 7 years. This auntie lives in a 4 bedroom detached house, privately rented at 700 per month. How can she afford this? Because she's receiving benefits to the tune of 550 per week, yes that's 2200 per month. after paying her rent she still has an excess of 1400. That's more than most people get that work full time. It's more than I earn that's for sure. What made her eligible for this much benefits.

When I first came back from studying i NZ, I tried to get job seekers allowance, a measly 40 pounds per week to help while I found work and even though my father had worked all his life and paid into the system, and his father and his father, for generations, and the fact that I was a British citizen myself, I couldn't even get a small allowance while I was actively seeking work.

Yet these immigrants come here get houses that we could only ever dream of and more money than we get for nothing when we work our arses off.

That my friend is what the problem is! That is what we see and your ignorance to this issue is astonishing, you obviously are a very rich man that isn't affected by the problems the rest of us have to live with.
edit on 3-11-2014 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join