It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Drug Sentencing Reform Goes Into Effect Today

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The first thing I'm going to say is "it's about time."

The war on drugs in and of itself has been a complete failure, that is of course unless you are one of many for profit prisons operating in the US today.

The sentencing reductions will see most low level offenders given some type of drug rehabilitation outside of jail time, and ensure to some degree that future offenders are not given such harsh penalties.

Of course their are pros and cons to this guideline. With a guaranteed occupancy rate given to most prisons, who then will fill the beds.

Source

As of today, current federal drug prisoners can begin petitioning courts for sentence cuts based on what the new guidelines call for. If the courts determine they are eligible for the sentence cuts and a reduction is appropriate, the sentences will be reduced. That will result in some federal prisoners getting out early, but none will be released until a year from today.

edit on 3-11-2014 by Daedal because: spelling

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
There is a line in the sand in this country cross it and you loose your freedom. I have no sympathy for drug users. If doing drugs means more to you then your freedom so be it. You make the choices you except the consequences. I can't stand drug addicts or alcoholics.

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

So your idea of freedom is limiting freedom?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
nvm
edit on 3-11-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: t&c

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

I don't make the rules I just play by them.

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

originally posted by: tavi45

I don't make the rules I just play by them.

and pass judgement on others...

seriously locking people up for their choice of lifestyle is just insane...the war on drugs is a war on the people and freedom and all it does is feed the private prison system...how is that productive for society ?
edit on 3-11-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:49 AM
link   
so let me get this straight im free as long as i dont break the rules

and if the rules are unjust to bad

rings a bell somewhere im not even going to mention it

as long as your habit/weekend fun whatever u call it dosent effect others its fine

look at the original any only true laws of this land and find the part where it says i cant drink smoke and all other pleshures of the flesh and well talk

btw north korea is a free country to just dont break the rules

if u didnt catch it the definition of free is only the diferance in laws for the 2nd class and laws for the 1st class

we have reatch a breaking point where they can no longer supress our true will of how we .... relax

anyone who oposes this will is a trator imo have ur opinion fine but accsept at the 51% mark it is LAW and anything otherwise is not a republic
edit on 3-11-2014 by markovian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: WORD2URMOTHER

Huh?

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

So if they legislated that you must have gay sex once a week (I'm aiming you're straight since it's a safe assumption statistically) you'd just do it because the rules are the rules?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Daedal

Dealers must be happy now to have their customers back sooner.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
a reply to: markovian Funny you should mention North Korea why don't you try living there for a year and come back and tell us how your freedoms are being repressed in America.
edit on 3-11-2014 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
yea funny i did huh

ima go with the whole since u play bye the rules you should have no problem living there i mean u do play bye the rules whats it matter what they are as long as u play bye them

ur words not mine

i dont play bye anyones rules buy my own n all i do is drink

it matters not keep laying back and accsept it and ull be in that wonderful place full of rules that u want

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I'm moving on now I've got better things to do with my time then argue about the legalities of substance abuse. Smoke it snort it inject it or anally insert it see ya. Just remember your free to make the choice but you have no one but yourself to blame for the consequences.
edit on 3-11-2014 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Their suppliers in the CIA must be having mixed feelings.

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

See you later. Thanks for reminding us that any law that exists is a good law and we should never ever question the government.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
its only abuse to the people with no control

people will abuse anything and everything

if we where to make everything abused illegal first thing would be caffeine and niccotine alcohol

there ok ... couldent be caz of profit tho nope its for the better good pfft

if the goverment told me the sky was blue id check 3 times u know

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

There is a line in the sand in this country cross it and you loose your freedom. I have no sympathy for drug users. If doing drugs means more to you then your freedom so be it. You make the choices you except the consequences. I can't stand drug addicts or alcoholics.

It's people like you, with attitudes like yours, that not only created the Prohibition Era mess but has subsequently eroded societies freedoms to the point where innocent people are being jailed for non-violent, victimless crimes. And all for what? To satisfy YOUR lofty expectations of who and what people should be? Who made you the moral police, and what makes you think your opinion is any more worthy than someone elses?

Your attitude disgusts me.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

It's people like you, with attitudes like yours, that not only created the Prohibition Era mess but has subsequently eroded societies freedoms to the point where innocent people are being jailed for non-violent, victimless crimes. And all for what? To satisfy YOUR lofty expectations of who and what people should be? Who made you the moral police, and what makes you think your opinion is any more worthy than someone elses?

Your attitude disgusts me.

umm bravo i wish i could of told it that good my hats off to you my good sir

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

if they had an award for the best post of the day on this site...you would have nailed it

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join