It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speaking of fancy food...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
...I just ordered two of these for my girlfriend and I:

There should be one leg and one sausage in each one. I have no idea how to actually "prepare" this though. It's a good thing my girl knows French, because I have a feeling the directions are in French!

I was going to just get some duck confit and make my own cassoulet, but this seemed like a neat product w/free shipping. Has anyone ever had cassoulet from a can?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Is that duck in a can ??

That's wild... the only duck I've ever had is the kind you have to pluck the feathers off of first.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

This one is actually goose, I believe!

I've had duck confit (duck cooked in its own fat) bought vacuum sealed before -- man that was good! This has beans, sausage and other stuff in it. From what I gather, you broil it in a terrine with breadcrumbs on top.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Ah, okay.

So it's basically much like a stew then.

But it sounds tasty, especially with the added flavour of sausage... hope it didn't set you back too many pennies though.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
www.frenchrevolutionfood.com...

Apparently it is a well loved product. Will have to try it myself some time.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I have taken ducks and Geese...

Out of the sky
Out of lakes
Out of streams
out of rivers
and out of ponds
Even taken a couple out of the grocery store.

Never taken one out of a can....

Go figure.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
No way am I going to eat something I can't read the label on. I also don't know any Frenchman I can trust enough to ask about this. I know some French people, but they would just tell me it is good then laugh at me as I spit it out and puked.
I probably wouldn't eat canned goose anyway. Too much smelly gas from goose.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I tried a Sweet Sue whole canned chicken on a camping trip once. Once.
I think this guy gives a fair review.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I used to sell these, the bigger one. You can get them in 800g cans too. This is cassoulet, it is a stew. The thing that makes cassoulet distinctive is the top, you need to heat it in what we call a grill, or a salamander, I think you guys call it something else, it has a heating element/burner at the top only. Heat it on low with bread crumbs and grated hard cheese to make a crusty top, then sink the crust in to the stew with the back of a spoon and do it again. When it is made in a bigger earthenware pot, then they do it about 3 or 4 times. That brand is pretty good, it is world famous.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
I've had duck confit (duck cooked in its own fat) bought vacuum sealed before -- man that was good! This has beans, sausage and other stuff in it. From what I gather, you broil it in a terrine with breadcrumbs on top.

Why not make your own confit? You obviously have some culinary skills. It is relatively simple and lasts a long time in the fridge.

I can give a simple recipe if you want...

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Getting the duck is the hard part here!

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

Okay, so I can just dump it in a terrine dish, with bread crumbs and cheese? We have a "broiler" setting on our oven which is pretty much like putting something under a salamander at home.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I will begin to train the ones around here to fly northwest in the summer.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom

Getting the duck is the hard part here!

Seriously? I can get duck and goose at the grocery. Farm raised. It's expensive, but available.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Well they don't exactly carry duck or goose at Safeway or Kroger

They *might* have it at an Asian grocery store, or perhaps the ONE butcher shop in town...

Remember, I live in Alaska. . .

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I use any meat to make a confit, pork shoulders are cheap, any red meat that is dry or tough I usually just confit. The supermarket here reduces any meat that is getting close to use by date by 30-50%, so I often buy that and make a confit. I put it in preserving jars when finished and give them 30 minutes in the pressure cooker or one hour at boiling temp then they will last for years on the shelf. A couple of my family are asthmatics and nitrates are not good for them, so I use this for their sandwiches. Also goes great on hot plain rice when you are in a hurry. I keep the fat from the top of the pot when finished and keep that in the fridge for the next one.

top topics

join