It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Looks Like A Typical Las Vegas Home, Until You See What It’s Hiding Underground

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I wasn't sure where to put this. The survival forum was my best guess.

This was built back in the 70's during the Cold War. It is not your standard underground bunker.

This underground lair was built in 1978 by Girard B. Henderson, a very wealthy man concerned about the Cold War. And if Henderson was going to wait out the end of the world underground, he was going to do it in style.

To get there, you must take an elevator.

It has a full kitchen, fireplace, bar, pool, putting green, sauna and guest house.

Wait...a guest house? I wonder who he thought might drop by.

Photos at the link.

link

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

Wow, that guy didn't mess about.

Just imagine what todays elite will have underground? or should I say On Mars!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Bragging attracts looters when TSHTF.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
It has a full kitchen, fireplace, bar, pool, putting green, sauna and guest house.
Wait...a guest house? I wonder who he thought might drop by.
Gee...not a whole lot more than any good Italian family has in their basement. Upstairs is for company...capiche?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
That's pretty awesome!!! Lights that reflect the time of day, scenery and everything to try and make it feel as normal as possible I guess.

I'd love to have something like that under my house.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Awesome till the kitchen. I started getting a headache behind my right eye. Really cool though.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
That's pretty awesome!!! Lights that reflect the time of day, scenery and everything to try and make it feel as normal as possible I guess.

I'd love to have something like that under my house.

According to the article it's in foreclosure, so nows your chance, buy it up!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

reminds me of movie blast from the past. in the bunker they had all those fake lawn and the home.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I love it!
Oh and the Rock Beer Fridge is to die for.

edit on 2-11-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

In my dreams! Even if I had the money, I would have to second guess the location. I can only imagine how many houses I could buy with what this one costs alone!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If SHTF it would be okay, but if a major earthquake hit I wouldn't be very effective.

I watched a documentary on what large earthquakes would do to several large cities, and Las Vegas is highly susceptible to liquefaction.
I can't remember how big they said it would have to be, but it didn't look like something I'd want to experience.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

The kitchen was definitely the wife's idea

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
There was a recent documentary on companies that build underground hideouts, and even some using abandoned missile silos and bunkers. One I remember was called "RisingSbunkers" "RSC steel bunkers can be designed to withstand any caliber firearm" is one tagline I saw..

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   
That is awesome! Straight from my own fantasies of what I'd do if I won the lottery.

-Except the pink kitchen. That could use some redecorating. seriously.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Schwallyjdog
Awesome till the kitchen. I started getting a headache behind my right eye.

You aint kidding

I guess the budget petered out right about there.

edit on 3-11-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
From an HVAC standpoint I have some concerns.

First of all - Split DX with condensers at ground level? What is he thinking? Why not use geothermal? How secure is it to have the AC units just ... RIGHT THERE?

Secondly - the ventilator is pretty much out in the open. That is the exhaust. Where is the intake? Is this filtered? UV? How are the ducts ran? Does this exhaust just pipe directly to the range hood or something?

Is this a survival bunker or a man cave? Is it supposed to be good for survival or watching the superbowl? How would this protect against nuclear war? Earthquake (already mentioned)? Rioting? Looting? Civil war? Invasion? EMP?

Where is the generator? What fuel? Diesel? Propane? Both? How many gallons? Where is that stored? Up at ground level too for everyone to steal? Is the generator up there too? (Cringe.)

Also isn't that the well there next to the ventilator? Or is that the pool pump?

How is the waste handled? What is the water source? Is that filtered?

Also it's on the internet and now everyone knows where it's at.

I can just picture it: post apocalypse, zombies and fallout, the usual. I'm chilling in the "bunker" with the fam and all of a sudden there's a bunch of looters peeing down my ventilator and laughing hysterically.

They cut the AC lines and load the condensing units into their truck, drop a gas grenade down the ventilator and then threaten to pour in gasoline and drop a real grenade down unless I surrender my daughters, guns and food - in that order.

The post apocalyptic challenges are just as much from the other survivors as the elements.

Technically the only things you need to survive the apocalypse are a few guns, some ammo, a neighbor with lots of supplies and for you to have no conscience.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Stuff on the topside gives it away as a shelter. And I probably wouldn't want to be stuck near Vegas once the water stops pumping... There are better more practical setups if you want to bunker down in a true survival scenario.

But it does look like one heck of a rompus room for parties and adult fun-times. And since it's all down underground, it's unlikely your neighbors will be disturbed or even see much to talk about. Considering that a certain trade is legal there, I wouldn't be too surprised if that's the real purpose.

new topics

top topics

join