It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

just read an article and im wondering and looking for opinions to file or not to file??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
link

More and more people around the country are getting sent to debtors’ prisons, but exactly how does it happen? According to National Public Radio, companies that people owe money usually sell off the debt to a collection agency, which in turn “files a lawsuit against the debtor requiring a court appearance. A notice to appear in court is supposed to be given to the debtor. If they fail to show up, a warrant is issued for their arrest.”

In some cases, judges “don't even know debtors' rights, which could result in the debtor being intimidated into a pay agreement,” making an already bad situation worse. News coverage about the rise of debtors’ prisons has been picking up steam, especially in regards to judges imprisoning people for their debts.

In 2000, The New York Times reported that a small town judge in Arizona was accused in a lawsuit of having “turned the local jail into a debtors' prison, repeatedly jailing poor laborers who were unable to settle debts with local property owners.” In 2009, CBS reported that a judge in southern Indiana threatened one Herman Button, who owed $1,800 to a former landlord but had no income beyond Social Security, with contempt and imprisonment if he didn’t pay.

The decision to imprison debtors can also come from judges needing money. In this case, judges were pressured to collect on fines and fees lest they find themselves receiving fewer operating funds for their courts. And in 2010, The Times reported that an Alabama circuit judge said openly that his state legislature “was pressuring courts to produce revenue, and that some legislators even believed courts should be financially self-sufficient.“ In order to have a better chance of extracting the needed money, judges may have threatened people with imprisonment.

Is this really happening i think its time to file for bankruptcy

Mod Note: External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
Quoting External Sources - Please Review This Link

edit on Sun Nov 2 2014 by Jbird because: ex tags trimmed quote

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ATF1886

Bankruptcy will not get you out of any court judgements. The laws for bankruptcy have changed and now there a quite a few things that filing will not touch for someone.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I know my student loans im stuck but as far as credit???a reply to: Dimithae

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I do not think it is so easy.. These issues can get very polarized very quickly.

We have the big bad companies and governments trying to screw people over. We have Police forces actively trying to raise revenue. The system is corrupt.

At the other extreme we have the self entitled peanuts that think they never have to pay a bill. They spend their income on booze and a good time with a life style that centers on the principal, 'I don't have to pay bills because THEY have lots of money and I don't.' Typically, these people would not work in an ion lung.

In the middle we have hard working decent people who have paid taxes all of their lives and have a rental property to provide for them in their retirement. Why the hell should these people be out $1700.00 because some self entitled prick didn't pay his rent.

Then we have hard working people who simply lose their jobs because some big corporation decides to send its manufacturing to China to increase the profit margins to an obscene level.

There is no easy solution but throwing people in jail is not much of an answer unless they are paid a minimalistic salary whilst in jail to pay off the debt. Getting a criminal record is just nuts!

The empire is crumbling from within as has happened repeatedly in history.

The people at the top no longer care for the people that make up the society and this will lead to a situation that spirals out of control.

A reset of the society seems to be where all of this is heading.

If I were at the top, I would be reviewing history such as the French Revolution's use of the Guillotine.

The major issue is the unemployment rate. You can't pay bills if you can't get work.

P

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Agreed!!
Alot of valid points im barely making ends meet.. a reply to: pheonix358

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
When a punishment forces a person into the situation they are being punished for, well, thats when we have to realise the system is being run by criminals.

Any of us can find ourselves in debt, and at some point in our lives it will happen. Anyone who's made redundent for no fault of their own, with kids to feed, will end up in debt, and for that they can be sent to prison? Thats just sick.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Pfffffffft!

Well if I disappear ya'll they got me.

Ridiculous. Who isn't in debt? Precious few I guarantee it.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Maybe its another reason to drag the open minded to jail...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Bankruptcy will not get you out of any court judgements. The laws for bankruptcy have changed and now there a quite a few things that filing will not touch for someone.

in my state it will. Student loans and child support though is an exception.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Credit card companies wrote the new laws on bankruptcy.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Figures...a reply to: Dimithae

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Not counting police, judge and jury costs, it costs an average of $50,000 a year to put someone in prison and keep them there.

Seems rather insane to spend that kind of money to incarcerate someone who owes money... especially when it was the banks that crashed the economy, got bailed out by the people, and the Federal Reserve (the banks again) can print up money out of thin air and loan it to the Treasury. Meanwhile, the bank executives that caused the economic hardship by rigging the system have never been brought to trial, but 'fines' have been levied and paid, back.... to.... the.... Treasury....

Interesting times we live in, huh?

Don't worry OP. Almost HALF the American population is in massive amounts of debt, and much of it is never going to be paid back. They can't put half the population in prison.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the reasurrance it helps but my fear is is that maybe its being done on purpose??? a reply to: signalfire

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Really that ORIGINAL NPR Article is about people being arrested for not showing up to court, not the debt actually owed. Loop hole, but it should make you feel better.

top topics

join