It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

woman hears over 100 cat calls while walking through nyc

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Hollaback!, a harassment awareness group, released a short film of a woman walking solo throughout New York City and being cat called over 100 times in a day. Photo: Rob Bliss Creative

www.wsj.com...

Yea, I get it. Sure I know how annoying it must be to be an attractive woman and have unwanted men notice you, what a drag. Ugly, poor, stinky men. Now what if 25% of those men were GQ and rich? Hell, 2% even? The fine line between unwanted harassment and "flirty" suddenly becomes blurred. Now I'm not saying these guys aren't creeps, especially the mofo who walks beside her for 5 minutes but this is the reality. It's really the Yin/Yang. While women get the unwanted 'harassment' men need to work to get noticed. So unless something dramatically changes with a sexual revolution where women become the pursuers and men become the pursued, women will always have to endure this. It's the consequence to being the opposite sex which chooses who wins in the game of natural selection.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
there was a thread a few days ago about it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

also check out the parody of the video where a dude walks through. it's pretty entertaining.

holla from the kootenays!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I watched this video a few days ago. Disturbing ... to say the least.

I remember the popularity of the 1950's Wolf Whistle and the effect it had (quite the opposite of what we're seeing here). Now ... it's just a bunch of animals loose on the streets. Seems everyone has to take everything to the extreme.

Either I'm just old, or ... Yeah ... I'm just old.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

The War On Men is getting out of hand!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: ItCameFromOuterSpace

The War On Men is getting out of hand!

War On Men = W O Men = Women

The video footage shows sexual discrimination, I haven't seen this type of behavior personally for a long time and is kinda creepy I think.
edit on 2-11-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlySolo

Hollaback!, a harassment awareness group, released a short film of a woman walking solo throughout New York City and being cat called over 100 times in a day. Photo: Rob Bliss Creative

www.wsj.com...

Yea, I get it. Sure I know how annoying it must be to be an attractive woman and have unwanted men notice you, what a drag. Ugly, poor, stinky men. Now what if 25% of those men were GQ and rich? Hell, 2% even? The fine line between unwanted harassment and "flirty" suddenly becomes blurred. Now I'm not saying these guys aren't creeps, especially the mofo who walks beside her for 5 minutes but this is the reality. It's really the Yin/Yang. While women get the unwanted 'harassment' men need to work to get noticed. So unless something dramatically changes with a sexual revolution where women become the pursuers and men become the pursued, women will always have to endure this. It's the consequence to being the opposite sex which chooses who wins in the game of natural selection.

No, this about men who feel entitled to harass women simply because they're women. There is no justification for it.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

I respectfully disagree. Most of them were just saying hello or have a nice day. Is that harassment as well? Sure, some guys are just pigs but that all depends on one's perspective.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Over 100 cat calls and not a single cat.

Just some woman.

(Does she hate cats? Do cats hate her?)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I respectfully disagree. Most of them were just saying hello or have a nice day. Is that harassment as well? Sure, some guys are just pigs but that all depends on one's perspective.

The perspective I'm talking about is that of the woman. She's the one being given unwanted and unwarranted attention. She hasn't voluntarily entered a social environment such as a bar or a party where being approached by someone is anticipated and maybe even desired. Imagine a straight man walking down the street and receiving exactly the same type of unwanted and unwarranted comments from gay men. Imagine it happening to that straight man every time he walks down a street.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I was in NYC this summer.
I saw a woman walking down the street wearing a thin white shirt and no bra. Although I did enjoy the view, a woman like that does nothing to help the situation.
edit on 2-11-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

edit on 2-11-2014 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Interesting you brought up the gay analogy. I happened to live in the gayest part of Canada called the west end of Vancouver. For a straight guy walking down the street I can relate to your analogy however, you get used to it. You learn not to make eye contact and you learn to block it out. Kinda exactly how and what women do. But men are always the pursuer, that's our role and women are always the choice maker. That's your role. We pursue and you decide if you want to be pursued. There are no "designated women pursuit areas" and love connections can happen in any arena. That's life and it ain't going to change anytime soon. While some guys are gentlemen about it and some are crass, it doesn't change a thing. Women are going to be pursued.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
I was in NYC this summer.
I saw a woman walking down the street wearing a thin white shirt and no bra. Although I did enjoy the view, a woman like that does nothing to help the situation.

It's not her job to prevent men from harassing her. Don't you get that? She's responsible for her behavior. They're responsible for their behavior.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
poor thing. Who would have thought the world was not full of buttercups and rainbows. In the animal kingdom things like mating calls shouldn't exist. beauty has benefits as well as a price, lets call it equilibrium and stop pouting.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

The woman I saw got the response she was looking for. She was very responsible for their behavior.
Don't lump all men into the same group as these monkeys. We are not all like that.

On a side note, I thought NYC was a culture center. Apparently not.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Men are pigs.

I know it to be true because my husband says so... and I tend to agree with him.

Dear gawd, did I just say that out loud ?!
I'm going to lose my woman card for saying such things...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Legally speaking, most if not all of the video is not harassment. I am not defending the really weird guy who followed her silently for 5 minutes, but in public, people are allowed to talk to (or even at, if you choose to remain silent) you.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Interesting you brought up the gay analogy. I happened to live in the gayest part of Canada called the west end of Vancouver. For a straight guy walking down the street I can relate to your analogy however, you get used to it. You learn not to make eye contact and you learn to block it out. Kinda exactly how and what women do. But men are always the pursuer, that's our role and women are always the choice maker. That's your role. We pursue and you decide if you want to be pursued. There are no "designated women pursuit areas" and love connections can happen in any arena. That's life and it ain't going to change anytime soon. While some guys are gentlemen about it and some are crass, it doesn't change a thing. Women are going to be pursued.

"We (ie. men) pursue and you (ie. women) decide if you want to be pursued." I guess you missed the part, which was the entire point of the video, that this woman didn't want to be pursued while walking down the street. You also missed the point about unwanted attention escalating (as it did in the video) from "Hello" to more aggressive behavior. What do you suppose might have happened if that woman had been walking on a dark, not so heavily populated street?

The very notion that it's OK for men to cross the line into giving women unwanted and unsolicited attention (calling out to her, approaching her, stalking her (even for a short distance) is a short step from unwanted physical contact. Are you aware that because most women are not physically as strong as most men and because many men regard women as prey women are constantly aware of the danger of sudden escalation? You, as a man, may have established a line you won't cross but a woman can't afford to assume that. She also can't assume that other men who may witness an actual physical assault will stop it. They may join in. Sure, that's not an every day occurrence, but it does happen and she knows it.

I understand that you can't get into the mind of a woman who perceives the potential danger in these situations and that may be a large part of the problem. From your perspective, it's harmless and flattering attention. From the woman's perspective it's something else. Let's take a different example and you can extrapolate from that.

As an adult, you see a child walking alone down the street receiving unsolicited adult attention. Men say, "Hello" and "You're beautiful" and smile but keep moving or, if standing still, stay there. I'll bet your "radar" picks up on it and you pay attention. Now a man moves rapidly to catch up to the child and walks beside the child for a distance and solicits attention from that child. He may reach out and touch the child's arm. He may say, "Hey, give me your number. Where do you live?" I'll bet that by now you're fully aware of the potential danger in that situation and may even intervene.

All children are potential prey but female children grow up to be women and are still potential prey. It's hard-wired into their brains. Think about it. The next time you have the impulse to yell, "Hey beautiful, give me your number", the woman is very likely to feel a surge of adrenaline as she switches into fight or flight mode--something you never intended. She has to be on high alert and attempt to calculate risk. She has to not only worry about you but about every male who has heard you and is now focused on her.

edit on 2-11-2014 by Tangerine because: why don't I notice typos until after something is posted?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

So what do you suppose should happen? Pass a law that men can't talk to women unless spoken to? If a man likes a girl, he needs to get permission or even better, a permit from city hall to solicit a woman for a coffee date? I suppose next is signing a waver before spending the night. Perhaps something Jian Ghomeshi never thought about.

Point is, unless you re-write the social foundations of the human opposite sex, it is what it is. I don't have much sympathy when women just find it an inconvenience.

Let's take a different example and you can extrapolate from that.

no cause that example makes it look like a felony.

"Hey beautiful, give me your number", the woman is very likely to feel a surge of adrenaline as she switches into fight or flight mode--something you never intended. She has to be on high alert and attempt to calculate risk. She has to not only worry about you but about every male who has heard you and is now focused on her.

Not my style but from what you describe, it sounds more like the reaction of someone who already has a jadded opinion from some jilted experiences. Not every woman responds like that
edit on 2-11-2014 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   

So what do you suppose should happen? Pass a law that men can't talk to women unless spoken to? If a man likes a girl, he needs to get permission or even better, a permit from city hall to solicit a woman for a coffee date? I suppose next is signing a waver before spending the night. Perhaps something Jian Ghomeshi never thought about.

Point is, unless you re-write the social foundations of the human opposite sex, it is what it is. I don't have much sympathy when women just find it an inconvenience.

Let's take a different example and you can extrapolate from that.

no cause that example makes it look like a felony.

"Hey beautiful, give me your number", the woman is very likely to feel a surge of adrenaline as she switches into fight or flight mode--something you never intended. She has to be on high alert and attempt to calculate risk. She has to not only worry about you but about every male who has heard you and is now focused on her.

Not my style but from what you describe, it sounds more like the reaction of someone who already has a jadded opinion from some jilted experiences. Not every woman responds like that

You're intentionally being obtuse. It's clear that you support this behavior. Your mention of Jian Gomeshi makes your position quite clear. For those who don't know, Gomeshi is a Canadian TV personality who has been accused by multiple women across Canada of luring them to his home and other locations where he beat and assaulted them. He has admitted to being a sexual sadist and even presented videotapes of himself beating women for sexual pleasure. The women who have come forward have stated that he did so to them without warning or consent.

You've got some serious problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join