It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Climate Change Is Happening...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Mr Phage, global temperature has not changed for the last 16 years, and volcanic activity has gone up 300 % in the last 2,000 years, and no I don't have any links, I watch far too much TV programs about the earth, and the solar system, and read far too many blogs, like climate depot, climate etc., political blogs like atlas shrugs, rantburg, ATS.com, I am quite happy for people to debunk me, I am reminded of one program about termites, shocked to find out they produce more CO2 than cows belches!
According to one program on the history of wine, during Roman times, there was very little glaciation in Norway, did not seem to worry the Romans much. (Those guys who invented concrete which produces tons of CO2 during manufacture)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
just my 2 cents worth . You can make science prove whatever you want . It is a little like taking a survey , pick the right demographic and your survey will always come out in your favour . That being said i believe that our generation may well be hated for generations to come for what we are doing to the planet . We have been very successful in making extinct so many species of animals it is almost like that is some kind of perverted mission of ours . Add to that global warming and its effects it will have in accelerating extinction we are doing a great job . Perhaps this trend will finish with our own extinction .

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Spot on sir. Global warming was very clearly intended to scare people into caring about the environment. Whether it is true or not is not provable beyond a shadow of a doubt until it happens. If it does it's far too late.

There should be no question at all that rampant industrialization, rabid consumerism, and endless growth will lead to our extinction one way or another.

So why not embrace the green movement not because there is a 100% chance of global warming but because it's obviously the most sensible and rational course of action? We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
edit on 3-11-2014 by tavi45 because: auto correct mistake

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

Mr Phage, global temperature has not changed for the last 16 years
Are you sure about that?

The global temperature data for 2013 are now published. 2010 and 2005 remain the warmest years since records began in the 19th Century. 1998 ranks third in two records, and in the analysis of Cowtan & Way, which interpolates the data-poor region in the Arctic with a better method, 2013 is warmer than 1998 (even though 1998 was a record El Nino year, and 2013 was neutral).

www.realclimate.org...

The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for September 2014 was the highest on record for September, at 0.72°C (1.30°F) above the 20th century average of 15.0°C (59.0°F).

www.ncdc.noaa.gov...

and volcanic activity has gone up 300 % in the last 2,000 years
300% ? Really. That means that 2,000 years ago there were only 20 eruptions a year? Gosh, too bad you don't have any sources. I'd like to know more about that.

I am reminded of one program about termites, shocked to find out they produce more CO2 than cows belches!
Yes, and that CO2 comes out of the air in the first place. Plants turn it into food for termites and cattle then termites and cattle turn it back into CO2 so the amount in the atmosphere doesn't actually change. It's called the carbon cycle, it's sort of like the water cycle. The trouble is, the CO2 that we are releasing doesn't come out of the atmosphere, it comes from deep in the ground where it has been sequestered for millions of years. And it does change the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.

According to one program on the history of wine, during Roman times, there was very little glaciation in Norway, did not seem to worry the Romans much.
Actually there was quite a bit of glaciation outside of Europe in Roman times. But in Roman times there were not hundreds of cities containing millions of people living in coastal regions, were there?

(Those guys who invented concrete which produces tons of CO2 during manufacture)
So we can thank them for teaching us how to add to the problem? Even though the it amounts to about 5% of total CO2 production, every little bit helps.

edit on 11/3/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

soo... let me get this striaght

because of a TINY (aka not even hitting the dark ages warm period temp yet) flux in temp and compared to the HUGE non man made warming (and cooling )events

you somehow get that this little bump is man made? or even something to worry about?

But it certainly does shoot down the claim that " it has been getting steadily warmer since the last interglacial."

it also points out that the differences we are taking about are minute compared to what man has withstood in the past

it also points out that man has little to no effect on the warming/cooling of our planet(if we take greenland as an example). we havent moved the temp 5 degrees there with 150 years of spewing stuff into the air

now how exactly does that graph point to anything man made?

as one volcano eruption DWARFS anthing we have done since the industrial revolution
edit on am1120143011America/ChicagoMon, 03 Nov 2014 11:31:13 -0600_11000000 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Jimjolnir

I'd love to review it but its gone blank since yesterday?

hmmm…

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Another_Nut

as one volcano eruption DWARFS anthing we have done since the industrial revolution

You sure about that?

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45
a reply to: Metallicus

Ignorance is bliss as they say. Let's hope you're right and that this ignorance and selfishness doesn't cause the extinction of humanity.

You're almost definitely wrong. Almost every important scientific theory that has been fought against by the uneducated has been proven right. Heliocentric theory of the universe. Earth being round. Smoking is harmful. Evolution. All proven true but ignored or attacked by the ignorant armies of the status quo.

I'd bet my soul this one will pan out too. When tons of academics are for something and tons of rich assholes and ignorant sheep are against it, it's always the academics who are right.

Congratulations!

You managed to call me ignorant, selfish and uneducated all in one post. All because I don't agree with your opinion and I certainly don't agree that anyone...even your 'climatologists'...think that global warming will cause the 'extinction of humanity'.

I am finished with you and your insults.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I wasn't speaking about you directly. I was speaking in general about the side you are on. I don't know you at all. You could be a Rhodes scholar for all I know.

The position you defend is headed by a bunch of uneducated ancient businessmen who will die before any of this will come to pass rather than educated scientists. Is it any surprise that the young generally believe in climate change and the old do not? One is invested in the future, the other is invested in the now.

I trust Bill Nye on science over David or Charles Koch, just as an example.

Either way if you feel I'm attacking you personally I apologize. You made similar indirect insults towards me but I chose to take them for what they are; overgeneralized opinions about the people on the other side.

If you think I truly meant to insult you on a personal level, please report it and if the mods agree they'll remove my posts. Perhaps I am in the wrong. I'm still learning the intricacies of the rules here. I'm not as good at the game as you vets.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Either way if you feel I'm attacking you personally I apologize.

Apology accepted.

In general, I would stop calling people opposed to your position(s) derogatory names. It doesn't enhance your position and shuts down logical debate. People can have honest disagreements without calling each other names.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
Mr Phage, global temperature has not changed for the last 16 years, and volcanic activity has gone up 300 % in the last 2,000 years, and no I don't have any links, I watch far too much TV programs about the earth, and the solar system, and read far too many blogs, like climate depot, climate etc., political blogs like atlas shrugs, rantburg, ATS.com, I am quite happy for people to debunk me, I am reminded of one program about termites, shocked to find out they produce more CO2 than cows belches!
According to one program on the history of wine, during Roman times, there was very little glaciation in Norway, did not seem to worry the Romans much. (Those guys who invented concrete which produces tons of CO2 during manufacture)

Made a big mistake there, termites and cows produce methane, as well as CO2 when they breath, sorry for the mistake, old age showing through.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Another_Nut

You sure about that?

more sure about that than us doing it. see phages pic here

notice we are five degrees lower than the hottest period since the ice age (of course this all assuming that greenland is a reflection of the planet, as phage assumes by his use of this graph to show that temps have not steadily gotten warmer since the last interglacial)

we cant heat the planet 5 degrees in 150 years but onc volcano and....

Toba
edit on pm1120143003America/ChicagoMon, 03 Nov 2014 15:52:28 -0600_11u by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

I don't. Better safe than sorry though is my thought on it. You can skip car insurance because you're a good driver and have no accidents. You'll be sorry if you get in one though.

If all goes according to plan you won't need insurance. You and your significant other (if that's still allowed) will live in your UN approved cubbyhole on one of the floors of the housing in the manufacturing hub. Any personal items such as groceries, clothes, tools, etc. will be available at the stores in the commercial levels closer to the ground. If you have to travel to reach your assigned employment there will be spiffy UN approved mass transit making regular stops for you and all the other worker ants crammed into your optimized industrial housing zone.

Kinda sounds like Heaven on Earth, doesn't it? *end of sarcasm*

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I didn't actually call you names but I understand the spirit of what you are saying. I'm working on it

That being said I do feel ignoring the possibility of severe environmental impact of our current system is short sighted and fairly selfish. Most likely you're not selfish, seeing as you care about your children and grandchildren but I'm just trying to say that ignoring the environmental impact of our industries will clearly cause increasing problems as time goes on. You may want to open your mind to these issues if you want to ensure your descendants continued prosperity.

Hopefully I made my point. I'm mostly here to try and improve my ability to make my points. Failure is a huge component to learning

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Quantum_Squirrel

what about the other planets in the solar system that are warming up?

Why do you think they are warming up? Do you know about the actual observations? Do you care? Why do you think we can even guess at changing global conditions on other planets? Do you know how long seasons last on Neptune?

Oh, yeah. What about the ones that aren't "warming up?"

THIS IS why we cannot say for a FACT why our planet is warming up!!

enough said, let's move on to the next political argument..

No way in hell am I going to write a report at 930 pm est. on all the scientist that support global warming being on federal government payrolls and following agenda's.

I am so over it. I do not support polluting our planet but we cannot prove we are making our planet hotter.. I mean hell if anything effected our atmosphere it was all the atomic weapons we have blown up or Fukashima, lets talk about fukashima, and all of that pollution pouring into our atmosphere talking about climate change, ahem, elephant in the room..

yea maybe that is what is causing climate change.. Who the hell knows...
Oh and the sun is getting cooler based off of our primitive measuring instruments helping scientists make their theories..
We Don't know what is causing climate change!
check another website and it will say the sun is heating up!
Climate change is politics, they want to find a way to tax it.

As I said I am against polution ahem fukishima etc. .

I like it when MAN, thinks he is so smart..

edit on b462014-11-03T20:46:12-06:00America/Chicago113076 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

I didn't actually call you names but I understand the spirit of what you are saying. I'm working on it

That being said I do feel ignoring the possibility of severe environmental impact of our current system is short sighted and fairly selfish. Most likely you're not selfish, seeing as you care about your children and grandchildren but I'm just trying to say that ignoring the environmental impact of our industries will clearly cause increasing problems as time goes on. You may want to open your mind to these issues if you want to ensure your descendants continued prosperity.

Hopefully I made my point. I'm mostly here to try and improve my ability to make my points. Failure is a huge component to learning

I agree with you.

What it boils down to is:

Does the scientific evidence across multiple fields show we are negatively impacting our environment to the point of threatening the sustainability of society long-term?

Are the problems imminent and posing a clear and present danger both to the environment and humans?

Yes to both. Therefore, I hold that the ONLY responsible attitude for people to have is to discuss how to address it. What is not responsible nor mature is for people to try to say that all of the scientific evidence is false, or a conspiracy. There is nothing conservative or religious about denial.

And it comes down to as you say as well the fact that such environmental problems will threaten our descendants or even ourselves in coming decades. For many people in the world, the problems already are.

Even if the problems only affect some communities or people, then this constitutes a violation of the natural rights, health, and so on of those people. Environmental destruction violates everybody's rights.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm sure it is related to peak oil.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
OH, and not to mention the ice caps are melting from UNDERNEATH them... Or it is another theory...

earthsciencesus.blogspot.com...

Um Now No they are not..

news.vice.com...

or just a little.

Not to mention Science changes everyday...

I will say on a academic level man has evolved a bit from Aristotle, yet to tell me We understand our universe LOL and how that technology works...

Makes me LOL..

edit on b562014-11-03T20:56:25-06:00America/Chicago113076 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

edit on b592014-11-03T20:59:34-06:00America/Chicago113076 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

And all the anti climate change science is paid for directly by oil barons and the like and centered primarily in the US. The pro climate change science congress from nations all over the world and accepted by nations all over the world. Seeing as American businessman have lied endlessly about matters of public health and safety and paid for false science an insane number of times, it should be obvious which side is right.

Seriously just look at smoking. It's common fact now that it's bad for you. A few decades ago science paid for by businessmen said "smoking is perfecting healthy, even for pregnant women".

The side that isn't the moneyed classes side is pretty much always right. The rich folk don't care about anyone or anything except themselves.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Now your learning...

Its all about $$$..

We cannot prove it. Irony thou back in the old day before they sprayed pesticides all over tobacco back when tobacco grew like 8 ft tall and naturally people did not die from cancer...

Hell American Indians smoked it for centuries... where it originated....

I guess in a court of law you can, if you have a slimy enough lawyer or senator aka lawyer.
This is all politics...

edit on b042014-11-03T21:04:59-06:00America/Chicago113076 by Bicent76 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join