It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Education vs. Ignorant Parents

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Evolution. The Big Bang. Global Warming. American History. World History. The Histories of World Religions. These hot-button Culture War topics are often in the news, for one reason or another. In most cases, they are at the center of some argument between a school and the parents of a student, with the parents being outraged that the school would dare to teach their child something that conflicts with the education they’re giving that child at home.

A natural and reasonable response to these parents is to try and allay their fears about the scientific or historical accuracy of the curriculum in question, or to assure these people that it is not the school system’s intention to “brainwash” their child or to intentionally undermine the child’s extracurricular education programs. Such a defense falls on the parents’ deaf ears though, partly because it is not addressing the real problem these parents have with the curriculum, and partly because the educational establishment isn’t being completely honest with itself about its intentions.

Parents aren’t concerned with the accuracy of the course -- if accuracy were the problem, they wouldn’t be clamoring to get rid of science-based biology and climate education. They wouldn’t object to the simple relaying of historical evidence regarding Islam, if their primary concern was that their student be taught history as it happened. They wouldn’t be up in arms about the importance of Deism to many of America’s founders if they wanted their child to understand the reasons behind the American Revolution in the context of the real world.

These parents who are so quick to anger toward schools are not afraid that their children are not getting a proper education -- and so arguments that attempt to assure them that the curriculum is fact-based and without ulterior motives only fuels their anger.

And let’s be honest with ourselves. The curriculum does have an ulterior motive, at least with respect to the parents’ objectives in the education of their children. Our public education system is designed, however ineffectively and bureaucratically, to instill facts in the minds of children, and facts are precisely what these parents so despise.

These people do not want their children to learn that Islam saved modern mathematics from the Dark Ages, because in order for their worldview to survive their children must believe that Islam is a soulless death factory with no positive aspects whatsoever. Their children must believe that climate change is a myth, so they will grow up to be wasteful, shortsighted, selfish and ignorant just like their parents are. Evolution must be false, at least in the minds of their children, otherwise they might reject the anthropocentric worldview of their parents. America must be a Christian Nation founded by Christian Saints, or their children might learn that it is possible to coexist with people who believe differently than you without marginalizing them or abusing them.

This is why we must not give in to these people. This is why when they call the School Board to complain about actual science and actual facts in the curriculum, the only acceptable response is to politely let them know that the school board does not care what kind of nonsense they teach their kids after school, but when their children are in a public setting with other children, facts and science are more important than hocus-pocus or nationalism.

We must be honest with ourselves. The Culture War is a real war. There are real battles and there are real casualties. Every time a school permits the reality of evolution to be questioned, they are teaching their students that science is less meaningful than willful ignorance, and those kids grow up unprepared to deal with a world that behaves according to natural laws, not religious commandments. Every time a school fails to inform a child’s worldview with true history, it leaves a vacuum to be filled her parents’ superstitions and prejudices. Every time a student is allowed to grow up thinking the crap their parents have spoonfed him is true just because they said it was true, we unleash an adult on the world who is intent on spreading lies and assumptions.

And this war isn’t just a war of words and ideas. Because people do not understand science, they refuse to vaccinate their kids, leading to thousands of unnecessary infections and deaths. Because people refuse to accept real history in schools, we are a nation of xenophobes and warmongers, sending thousands of young people to kill and be killed. Because we allow evolution and climate change to be questioned in schools, we face generations of people willing to sacrifice the future of the planet for the illusion of temporary gain. Because we teach faulty economic theories, we sentence millions to poverty. And because we refuse to see this war for what it is, we keep repeating the cycle.

Ultimately, the rift between education and uneducated parents is a war for the right to shape the hearts and minds of the future. We aren’t just fighting over science or history, we are fighting over who gets to define the world in which we live. And because no one exists in a vacuum, the only rational victor in this must be verifiable, testable truth. Society’s right to educate itself must trump individual parents’ rights to impose narrowmindedness and cowardly conservatism on their children.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: vexati0n

The best recruiter for rationality is fundamentalist parentage in a scientific world. Children aren't stupid and they learn a lot more from their peers and the media than they do from their parents. Someday, maybe people will voluntarily raise their children in a community setting for the sake of scales of efficiency, but as of right now people are still divided up in families along largely tribal lines and trying to impose a social mechanism onto them that is alien to them is meddlesome and tyrannic.

I think we are doing ok. If you look at the demographics, the world is headed in a more auspicious direction with each passing year just through social evolutionary forces alone.

Let all ideas stand up to the rigors of debate and let each individual mind be the final judge as to whether or not they will allow a narrative to find its home in their brains. If a person's home automatically guaranteed how they would think, I'd be a Christian Fundamentalist right now.
edit on 11 2 2014 by Nechash because: wrong whether

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The most valuable thing you can teach a child, in my opinion, is how to read and to love knowledge.
I went through the public school system and it was a hell hole. It is a prison for children to keep them tucked away while the parents work. I can't say I learned anything. I was more intelligent than most of the "teachers."
The most valuable advice I got from my father was "figure it out yourself."

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Parets dont want to "Educate" their children, and those that complain to schools about the curriculum havent got time to a spend researching and educating their child. Instead they give them "the lowdown" and thats as deep asnit gets... Well some topics are that shallow, or can arguably be communicated in a conversation that lasts no longer than a few minutes. But serious education on deep and compicated topics takes time. Both parents and proffessional educators fail at this all the time. A curriculum can be sometimes no less of a "low down" than when a parent gives their own version of science or history, or economics, or theology.. in a five minute reaction rant to that curriculum at home... Where does this leave the kid? Educated? No way, probably pissed off and confused.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

I'd be a fundamentalist as well, so I agree with you on that point. I know my position (or at least my phrasing) is pretty militant, but I think we need to do more to demonstrate how unacceptable (practically and morally) traditionalism and fundamentalism are in an age of science. And again, not just for the sake of showing off or boosting education, but because the persistence of superstition in the Information Age is leading to a dangerous caste system, with the uneducated fundamentalists at the bottom and more highly educated people farther up the scale. As technology progresses, so does the incompatibility between ancient bronze-age religions and the economic significance of their believers. We end up with millions of people who depend on technology but could never hope to understand it, because the precursors of that understanding contradict their archaic supernatural sensibilities.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

it is not the school system’s intention to “brainwash” their child

The problem with your entire premise is that there IS an agenda to 'brainwash' the public and it starts in the schools with the 'common core' agenda. You are making the assumption that parents are unaware of the true agenda in our schools when I think it is you that are naive to the facts.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Very well written post. The only part you left out is that this original intent of spreading knowledge has been corrupted.

Most schools now have low quality teachers since teaching is one of the worst jobs out there now. Remember incentives matter a lot and there are few incentives for bright hardworking people to teach.

On top of that a focus on arbitrary grading over real knowledge or critical thinking skills. Grades have almost no correlation with knowledge now. Grades are far more connected with ones ability to follow the rules and say what people want to hear rather than ones actual accomplishments in learning and thinking. They are also highly inflated. Many schools consider a C failing yet nobody fails. Endless test retakes, binder organization grades, overblown homework grades, the list goes on. Hell there aren't even remedial classes anymore because that looks bad on transcripts. There is a maddeningly complex system of classes where what used to be normal knowledge for a grade level is now in the double accelerated class or some other misnamed course level. Everyone is smart now because they aren't allowed to fail.

The school system is broken as hell thanks to our obsession with having "objective" scales for success of students and obtaining school funding.

I literally teach dumb "A" students all the time. Their grades are fantastic but they don't know anything except how to play the game. Anytime they are challenged with thinking or learning they fail. They are masters of regurgitation and doing the bare minimum.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Not every child needs to learn to use the latest technology, they can benefit from it for sure, but its not always essential. There are plenty of other life skills they could learn to get on in life that dont rely on being able to understand modern technology.... Horticulture for example.....

Having the greatest library in human history in every childs bedroom and or living room via the internet these days though is challenging many of societies assumptions about the neccessity of state funded education in the age of the internet.

Edit: Few parents have thought about it though. Unfortuately the undeniable realization that comes from examining todays society is that as a civilisation we place far more value on entertainment than we do on education (at least in the family unit)... This has led to an increasingly unnatural upbringing for most who are now orphans to the state as our entire education is now in the hands of the media and the state. In other words we have an institution centric education system, instead of a community centric education system as it used to be.
edit on 2-11-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

it is not the school system’s intention to “brainwash” their child

The problem with your entire premise is that there IS an agenda to 'brainwash' the public and it starts in the schools with the 'common core' agenda. You are making the assumption that parents are unaware of the true agenda in our schools when I think it is you that are naive to the facts.

Oh, I do know there is an agenda. What form that agenda takes and what its ultimate goals are might be up for some debate. The main disagreement you might have with me is that I wholeheartedly support the agenda, because society has the right (the responsibility, in fact) to eradicate nationalism, superstition, and prejudice from the minds of children. Such nonsense has no place in the globally unified world of the future, and serves no purpose at all but to prolong the ancient and anachronistic traditions of ignorant Luddites in a world where they do not belong.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   

When was the last time in history that a movement overwhelmed a people to the point of ushering the world into some type of cataclysmic dark age? We probably came close to something like that in WW2, but I honestly think these kinds of ebbs are pretty rare, at least on a macro level. Sure, there've been serious set backs in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran, but I think this game is 2 steps forward 1 step back. That's kind of the nature of sine-waves. Thesis and Antithesis flip back and forth across centuries, slowly oscillating towards something more desirable.
edit on 11 2 2014 by Nechash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

Not every child needs to learn to use the latest technology, they can benefit from it for sure, but its not always essential. There are plenty of other life skills they could learn to get on in life that dont rely on being able to understand modern technology.... Horticulture for example.....

Having the greatest library in human history in every childs bedroom and or living room via the internet these days though is challenging many of societies assumptions about the neccessity of state funded education in the age of the internet.

I think the Internet will ultimately transform and revolutionize education, but I don't believe it will ever completely replace state-funded efforts to normalize and guide education, nor should it. Left to their own devices, most children would not end up with a very well-rounded education, and without some kind of public intervention in the process, to many parents would limit their children's exposure to ideas that challenged their own worldview, even if that worldview is backward and archaic, or founded on pseudo-science.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Nechash

That may be a fair assessment, though it is a little too much in the Modernist vein for me. I don't believe history has any particularly inherent thrust toward "better" or "more desirable" outcomes without the conscious and intentional guidance of people who want to ensure such outcomes. And even if it does, I believe we owe it to ourselves and to future generations to do everything we can to avoid or at least minimize the "steps back," especially when some of those steps back can last for thousands of years.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   
For the record, I got sent to the principal's office and got my ass paddled and put in detention for refusing to say the pledge of allegiance to a flag. They made my case. Jehovah can go get stuffed.
The only thing I stand under is a beautiful sky.
edit on 2-11-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Common core and whole brain thinking will fail. These people are trying to prevent the inevitable by changing the environment a child is raised in. First of all, it is too late for them, we already have enough independent creatures in the current generations that their pyramidal systems are over. Within 20 years, we'll probably have a quarter the number of churches in places like America and most local chapters of fraternal organizations will have dissolved.

We have never really needed liberty to be popular for cultural revolution to be successful, we've only ever needed a solid 8% who were devoted to the cause and from that number we've seen revolutions won and the world marched into a better direction consistently. If anything, common core and whole brain will teach introverts how to survive better and camouflage themselves as the chameleons they are meant to be in a world full of extroverts and it will make the true extroverts much more pliable so that the introverts have a much easier time orchestrating them when they need to.

They think this will give them another group of happy laborers. In reality, it will give us the foot soldiers we need to provide the backbone of our social system. Think of it this way. Soul -> Brain -> Muscle. Gen X -> Millennials -> Common Core. This is basically a social reset sequence to give birth to the cultural revolution that we need to transform the most powerful country on earth into something beneficial to the world. I think it is a good thing.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Maybe you had bad parents? but most people have good parents.
Your entire post seems to be aimed at putting down the parents while promoting a school system that DOES brain wash chidren!

Children are very capable of learning on their own, and yet we're being led to believe that only the school system can teach children, this is complete nonsense!
I was shocked recently when I was talking to some home school parents. Their children (all aged 5) could read write and do the numbers, they could cook, do the shopping and could hold a conversation as well as many adults I know. Why was I shocked? Because they told me if their children were now forced to go into the school system they'd spend the next six months learning how to count to 15 and learning the first half of the alphabet, and even after an entire childhood spent locked up in school they wouldn't know how to cook.
Dont you find that shocking!!!

And you know what? Those home schools are not locked up for half the day being denied valuable play time, they play all day long, and yet they are MILES ahead of those poor kids that are locked up in those prison schools.

Stop knocking the parents and concentrate on asking why schools are more like prisons, ask why it is that it takes a school six months to teach kids to count to 15 ffs!!!

STOP KNOCKING THE PARENTS!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Only if we progress past a point where the technology changes civilisation so dramatically that the changes lead to a even more severe psychosis in people than we currently see.

Anytime you take a scrwwed up individual out of their normal routine habitat and let them reflect on their life in natural surrounds a natural state of emotional equanimity will soon arise and they can confront problems in themselves and in their normal lives with a lot more confidence... Im not saying this works 100% of the time for 100% of people that are suffering but it does for a large majority.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Public schools are, for the most part, awful. They are full of faculty who barely survive on the scraps they're thrown by legislatures who are loathe to be identified as supporting anything as socialist as public education. Students are forced to go there, where they are taught half-heartedly by teachers who themselves were churned out of the same education system, specialized to pass on a way of thinking more than any actual information. Public schools are terrible. They are also the only place we as a society have a foothold to unteach some truly horrific things kids are taught at home, either on purpose or by example. That's really the only reason I support public schools.

Many parents are amazing, and are invested in their children's education. Unfortunately many other parents are either lazy or they hold ideas so incompatible with civilization that without the influence of public education, they would produce some of the most awful human beings imaginable. People who believe that, because of where they were born or what they believe or what they have (or don't have) between their legs, they are any more or less valuable as human beings than anyone else. People who are raised to believe that Christianity is somehow less of a death cult than the Manson Family. People who believe, not because there is any reason to other than they were told to, that America is the "freest country on Earth." These are the beliefs that must be stamped out, and schools are the best place to stamp them out.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

The parents are more to blame than the teachers, though there's plenty wrong with things to throw blame everywhere

I had dinner with my favorite teacher a few weeks ago. She has been teaching for 40 years and is definitely good at what she does. The only students who dont like her are the lazy ones because she doesn't let that stuff slide.

She was telling me how the biggest problem is that parents and students take no responsibly at all in America. If a student gets a bad grade it's the teachers fault. The parent doesn't help, they just call and yell. The student isn't responsible, he is busy goofing on his phone and playing sports afterschool.

She said her daughter teaches in France and there (as it is in China and most countries) the student is the primary person responsible for their education. If you fall behind its your own fault. The teacher teaches. The student learns. Learning can't be injected. It's a process that absolutely requires the learner to perform the action of learning.

I've seen this in person. I've had several clients who I stopped seeing because the kid won't put in any effort to learn. They won't practice or study on their own time at all. When the kid does poorly on the test the parents get mad at me for not doing my job. There's one girl who can't pay attention for more than a few minutes. She'll go on her computer while I'm teaching face to face and just ignore me when i tell her to turn it off.

Both the child and parent think I can just inject the knowledge right in the brain. Sorry it's not Brave New World yet

For a nation so obsessed with "personal responsibility" it's hilarious how much time people spend blaming everyone else. If your kid is doing poorly in school maybe have them teach themselves. It's not like they dont have access to the entirety of human knowledge on the devices they use solely for entertainment.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I enjoyed you OP but feel there are so many points which i disagree with, however i am not sure it is through being from a different background or merely just opinions that have been formed by what we have been exposed to. The first point which i must bring up which is actually your last point...
Society’s right to educate itself must trump individual parents’ rights to impose narrowmindedness and cowardly conservatism on their children.
To be honest this point contradicts itself. Society as a whole is made up of a wide spectrum of individuals with completely different beliefs. However you claim society has a right to educate itself, then in that case society (made up of individuals) should be allowed to educate itself, by taking away that individualism and choice then they will not be educating themselves but forced into a way of education which they may not believe in.
The education system in the UK for the mass is determined by government politics, who shape the curriculum around the usual history from "approved books" etc. It is through this political influence on education that has pushed me to the brink of wanting to remove my child and home school her. The reasons are as follows:

Interacting with many parents withing my society (belfast) i have come to accept that school is seen almost as a baby sitting facility and the education does not continue at home. For most education today will come from tv and the internet with little to no input or supplementation from the parent.
In my own parenting, which i know that im far from perfect, i feel i am in constant dialogue with my children. This is done on a way very different from the school system where 1 + 1 = 2 is the uniform for every subject and any thinking out of the box is quickly reigned in and put back on the track that is provided. Unfortunately this track is directed to nowhere.

Education is not memorizing a page of quotes to score high in a test but more of a way of tender care and encouragement. Somewhat like bonsai where growth should be delicately handled and encouraged, the school system have the chainsaw out. Education is the planting of the desire and lifelong thirst for answers. This curiosity in children should be maintained through all of life, but is quickly shut down. With this want and need to look at everything to understand the inner workings, the effort, skill and emotion put in by someone is something that will change the world. But this is stopped so early in life.
I despise the saying children are like sponges as in they absorb in alot of information. This is merely because they have entered a new life and curiosity has kicked in. Through the parents, whose minds have been formed by this system, this curiosity is possibly encouraged to a couple of years and then passed on to the school and wash their hands.

In my own experiences rigid education techniques do not work. Education should be allowed some freedoms determined by a group of pupils. This can be done by talking and allowing the flow of curiosity of the real world we live in. This will flick on so many switches as it will resonate with their peers as many have the same thoughts and ideas and will begin an enjoyable, fluid experience that will be supplemented and guided by a teacher who understands and has a desire to let the thought process flow. As by letting this process flow and by channeling it the flow will gain massive momentum which will ultimately spill into their home lives.

Thats what is missing, the state of mind should be the same at home as at school. Unfortunately children have become very good at switching into "zombie" mode in order to escape the assault on their minds from school and sometimes home. It is your duty as a parent to challenge your child with questions and propose new ideas that you feel they will resonate with, because if you dont know what they can relate to then no one can.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

are you serious?

first off ill begin with math in public schools.

and more common core nonsense

I wont even get into evolution. All that needs to be said that if there was enough scientific evidence out there to prove it to be 100% undeniably correct. That we did in fact evolve from monkeys and that's how we came about." it would be very easy to convince the world it to be so. the problem is, there just isn't. or else it would be just as any other fact out there. like fire burns you, the world is round, and rain comes from clouds. do you see any part of the population denying these things? no. why? because its 100 fact. unlike the evolutionary "theory'' that last part is real important for evolutionists to understand..

specifically for the educated folk like yourself, pushing it a fact.. its not.. this it why its still referred to as "theory"

and when you say

very time a school permits the reality of evolution to be questioned, they are teaching their students that science is less meaningful than willful ignorance, and those kids grow up unprepared to deal with a world that behaves according to natural laws, not religious commandments. Every time a school fails to inform a child’s worldview with true history,

what is true history/ what you deem to be true? i find it funny that the greatest scientists can only get an eyeball so far as far as making one goes.. with all the technology and education out there you'd think they can take slime (much like the earth did) and create a perfect appendage like an alley. even though the same atmosphere and climate can be recreated back to ancient earth scientists still make electronic camera style eyeballs. almost insulting to their own intelligence if you ask me.

then you seem to be a vaccine enthusiast. making now anything you say less credible

A new study has been released that shows that increases in autism rates are linked to the introduction of vaccines manufactured using human fetal cell lines from aborted babies. While this has been theorized in the past, this connection has now been analyzed using worldwide data. Researchers have identified three specific change points in which the incidence of autism rose significantly in the U.S., as well as points in other countries. Each of these points corresponds to the times that a vaccine containing DNA from aborted babies was added to the recommended vaccine schedule. Read more at www.inquisitr.com...

www.inquisitr.com...
its been "proven to be harmful". but some idiots out there so afraid of something like influenza (the flu) because of a dreaded high temperature!! and the complications that might (almost never) come with it. and to prevent that small short term threat. you are very down to risk loads of long term heath problems (kinda ironic for someone who says things like "we face generations of people willing to sacrifice the future of the planet for the illusion of temporary gain".. dude you are that person. to me the biggest irony is most people that sound like you live where i do. in the land of evil and greed (America). The funny thing is the people who think this way, and speak highly of our "intelligent society" and how the the religious nuts are holding science back from reaching its true potential. I gotta point out to you clowns that the last time the world has been this #ed up was maybe back during the industrial revolution. maybe longer. it might have never even reached this level. its worse than its been in almost our entire history combined. entire areas without water, and food. most the world living in poverty. oppression and slavery still alive and well all over the world. greed leading to mass wars and killing, pollution measured by oceans and not gallons. nuclear fuel killing 50 % of the ocean.. yea.. i think science needs to sit the # down for a little bit.

edit on 2-11-2014 by MikeHawke because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join