It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millenial vs Boomer Debate, Oh Your Going to Love This...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Millenials Dont Stand a Chance

Wow. Millenials, lowest level of personal debt, highest level of volunteers, highest educated, LOWEST AMOUNT OF DRUG USE, Tom Wolfe and the "me" generation.

Millennials—growing up with revolutionary technology and entering adulthood in a time of recession—have recently been much maligned. Are their critics right? Is this generation uniquely coddled, narcissistic, and lazy? Or have we let conventional wisdom blind us to their openness to change and innovation, and optimism in the face of uncertainty, which, in any generation, are qualities to be admired?

Yes. Eat this one up people this is a good one. Wish I was listening to this podcast sooner.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I sound exactly like a millenial by this description, but I'm a boomer who raised a great millenial to be just like me. Oh well....no pigeonhole for me yet again...sigh. Maybe one day I can stop being a person and be...something...more?
edit on 11/2/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Oh the debate is pretty good, on both sides. It's not about boomers or millenials but I made that the title for clicks,

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

This is probably the stupidest debate ever.

If we (millennials) are so bad, who do think made us this way? It's not like the last generation is our parents or anything. I did get a kick out of this video though, it pretty much says it all.

Sorry we know we suck.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Wow. Millenials, lowest level of personal debt, highest level of volunteers, highest educated, LOWEST AMOUNT OF DRUG USE, Tom Wolfe and the "me" generation.

Millennials—growing up with revolutionary technology and entering adulthood in a time of recession—have recently been much maligned. Are their critics right? Is this generation uniquely coddled, narcissistic, and lazy? Or have we let conventional wisdom blind us to their openness to change and innovation, and optimism in the face of uncertainty, which, in any generation, are qualities to be admired?

Yes. Eat this one up people this is a good one. Wish I was listening to this podcast sooner.

Bunch of euphemisms,
Lowest debt because they cannot borrow to buy homes or receive credit beyond a high interest high service fee $500 MasterCard.
Highest educated means a lot of useless skills that will never land them a job.
Lowest drug use??? They must not count reefer where it is legal then.
They volunteer with their jobless free time in hopes of acquiring contacts and skills the schools failed to provide them with.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: onequestion

Bunch of euphemisms,
Lowest debt because they cannot borrow to buy homes or receive credit beyond a high interest high service fee $500 MasterCard.
Highest educated means a lot of useless skills that will never land them a job.
Lowest drug use??? They must not count reefer where it is legal then.
They volunteer with their jobless free time in hopes of acquiring contacts and skills the schools failed to provide them with.

So, again, who's fault is that? The generation that was just being ushered into adulthood or the generation of adults that came before? Sorry, it just seems like we were born into a f###ed up world and now we just have to make the best of it and hope an apocalypse doesn't happen.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Why is it important to "name" generations?

I wonder what the next generation will call themselves. . .

Not trying to be difficult, OP, just trying to put thigs in context.

There have always been younger people and older people.

Older people have lived more, done more, seen more than younger people because they have been around longer.

But younger people, being younger people, think that they know it all and have seen everything there is to see.

Mark Twain once stated that a child (at 13) should be placed in a barrel and have the barrel sealed with only a hole in the side for food.
Once the child turned 16, he stated, seal the damned hole in the side.

So it's far beyond just our generation or yours.

It's been going on since Cain killed Abel because he got the bottom bunk.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The reason for naming the generation is to give context.

There are pros and cons to this. One pro is analytical purposes.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Are you defining as "boomer" anyone who isn't a "millennial"?
My understanding is that there's a long interval between those two labels, filled with other generations.
Presumably someone born in 1975 is not a "millennial", but he wouldn't thank you for calling him a "baby-boomer" either.
I don't think the baby-boomer label goes far into the 1950's. I associate it with those now hitting retirement age.

edit on 2-11-2014 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

It's just a title did you listen to the debate?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
If you're using it to mean "anyone who isn't a millennial", it's an inaccurate and misleading title, because that's not how people have been using the word.
Is careless use of language symptomatic of millennials?

I don't listen to youtube videos. I prefer reading things.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Oh so you have no idea what your talking about your making assumptions based on the title?

You know... Ah what's the use.

Oh I read things, and listen to things and try to even interact! Wow.. There are so many ways to learn...
edit on 11/2/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I was making a comment about your title.
If I am making a comment about your chosen title, the title itself is all the information I need.

And THIS particular dialogue, I suspect, really is between a millennial and a baby-boomer.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Suspect all you want.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

At least a narcissist can be taught to hone their talents into a virtuous direction. Scatter a sheep out from its flock and it will die of exposure or predation bleating for its master to return. ;p

I say this in jest largely having come from that hedonist camp of brazen ones myself, but it makes me laugh, so I think that's a good thing.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but how is anything you said even semi-relevant to the topic of this thread? Seems to me like you might have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. Maybe instead of picking apart the OPs title you actually address the topic of the thread. I'm sure if any moderators have an issue with the thread title they will let the OP know but as far as I know that isn't the topic of the thread. From one Millennial to a... whatever you label yourself with regards to your birth generation.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I'n curious to know what happened to Gen X. You know?, the generation between Boomers and millenials. Did they go *Poof!* and I didn't get the memo?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

What happened to listening to the debate in the podcast above?

It's hard to read and think past the emotional response elicit by the title. This was done specifically with the intent of disarming this exact debate.

And to poke fun at it.
edit on 11/2/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Nope. They didn't go poof. I'm sitting right here. A lot of folks on here do not fall into the boomer or millennial category.

People like to compare these two because one is considered the greatest and the other is considered...well... not the greatest.

I guess we have to look for arguments because there isn't enough to be pissed off about already.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I'm supposedly generation X, although right at the end of the scale. All I hear about is millennials this and that. My generation has been sort of forgotten about, but it is our time now when we come into power as the baby boomers retire and die off. We had childhoods before the internet, but in braced it in adulthood. We have information at our fingertips and question and research what the "authorities" have told us.we don't just take their word for anything.
We have been silent so far, but we have watched all the crap that has been tried to be forced on us and we don't believe.
So sorry millennials its our time first.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join