It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poppy seller burned in aerosol attack in Manchester

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Oh and yes sorry another scumbag mite I add.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Also id be angry if you were bombing innocent people from my home ect but I thought poppy s were ww2 things like remembering those who stopped hitler? Yano the one who would of wiped all muslims Asians blacks and evryone else out??

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
WW1 origionaly but a rememberance of those that fought in world wars our freedom from oppresion

Peace.

a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

When I was a young fellow, and out and about around town, I always used to have a can of deodorant in my backpack, along with a tooth brush and tooth paste. Mind you, when I was younger, I was not always actually dwelling in a residence, rather spending my nights on a roundabout, or under a bridge, and occasionally inside the footprint of some sort of shrub or bush.

Not smelling like a bum is very important if one is to keep a positive mental attitude toward ones life!

But I entirely agree that a person does not walk around with these things actually in their hands, and prepared to cause facial burns with them, unless they are up to no good.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yes it started several years after the end of the war when the body from no mans land was taken home for burial in the tomb of the Unknown Soldier who stands for all those who fell. We remember on the 11th of November with a minutes silence at 11am to mark the moment the Armistice went into effect. We wear a poppy to represent the first flower that grew in Flanders when the war ended. Also, the thousands of poppys in the fields symbolise the bodies of the dead after going over the top. Of course since 1945 we remember the dead of both wars. It's not just about honouring the fallen but a reminder of why we should strive to never let things go that far again.

Funny enough I remember an almost identical story doing the rounds, even a very similar thread being created here. Every october these stories appear, the tabloids tear rabidly into anyone on the tv not wearing an elaborate looking poppy. Before the Iraq war and 7/7 th papers could care less about Rememberance Day but it's now getting hijacked as some kind of jingoistic, fake patriotic day that absolutely pisses me off for the sheer hypocrisy they display.

My great grandfather and grandfather fought in both wars, my great grandfather drowned in his own lungs from gas. I was in the cadets and have been to many Rememberance day parades. It actually means something to me, tv personalities wear a poppy because their agents and tv bosses tell them too whereas the papers can't help but turn it into a point of patriotism even though 10 years ago it would be lucky to be mentioned at all.

I've no problem with patriotism but this fake jingoism the tabloids encourage is frankly insulting because it's given the same degree of thought as given to saturday nights X factor or the latest guy Jordan has a kid to.

The reporting of random attacks on poppy sellers or 'muslims' saying our soldiers are burning in hell have become a yearly ritual come November. I know fine the papers will say they're simply reporting a story and never made any references to the religion, race or motive of the attacker but they know fine that by saying black or asian that many will make that connection now that Nov 11 is somehow about national pride and celebrating our military which is ironic to say the least and missing the point entirely.

I dare say the boy was attacked but we have absolutely no understanding of the background from what was written.It's entirely possible it was completely random, the attacker could have been to a shop n bought deodorant then when he saw the victim who he may know already, not everybody tells the police all they know, decided to use it with the lighter on him.
If premeditated then was it over something between them or did someone attack the lad simply as an anti-British gesture.It's doubtful we'll ever find out but it won'y stop those with an agenda from stirring up anti-muslim sentiments which are less and less below the surface, particularly with ISIS's goading of the UK and the US over the beheadings. IS wants to the UK to attack them so they can stir up the anger of muslims in the UK causing more and more troublr until the country is at war with itself. It's ramping up slowly with people going to fight,terrorist plots being discovered and a constant drip feed of anti islamic feeling growing louder and louder.

If one of our principles is freedom if religion which it is I don't see what can truly be done to keep the peace except full open engagement with the islamic community instead of the usual pussy footing around over matters of race and religion. Personally speaking I'd allow immigrants through the borders but their religion and gods aren't allowed to come through customs except only behind their own front doors, which would stand equally for all other mental instability like christianity or the moonies whatever.

We don't know what led up to the attack, it could be a local bit of carry on that got out of hand or something more sinister but to highlight it and repirt it that fashion, i.e the reporting of the attackers colour will have a certain meaning to many when for all we know the flame thrower was a Scientologist or a Jew, a Hindu or Mormon but the assumption will be a Muslim.

All I have to say is yes we do Nov 11th to remember the soldiers who died, the wounded and crippled and everyone on all sides who fought in both wars. They did fight for whatever freedom meant to them and a sense of doing right, for family, their friends or simply to survive but I can't help feeling that the way Armistice Day and wearing a poppy has come to represent the military and patriotism, along with the way these things are represented in the papers would have all the missing in Flanders spinning in their graves.

These things need to be addressed sensibly but effectively but this is NOT the time of year to be highlighting the issue, show the dead we're apparently meant to be remembering a little respect.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: fastbob72

I remember things differently - Remembrance Sunday has always been a big part of life and as far backs as I can remember (how many times can I squeeze that into a post?) we've always done things at school, at home etc. But then, I was a pad brat, so came with the turf I suppose.

I would also disagree it's about "jingoism" - perhaps it has become more poignant over the past decade because we've had guys and girls coming home in body bags for the first time in a generation? People actually see and know people who've been affected by the Wars, hence why, perhaps, it has taken on a new life instead of being about Wars from 70+ years ago.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Why do you English persist in calling the M/E, Indian, Paki etc mob Asian?

They are Not Asian, they are M/E, Indian etc. Call a Spade a Spade....nyuk, nyuk nyuk....

Asians are Chinese, Japanese, other Orientals.

To us, in Oz, all the Indians etc are in the West, Not the East

BTW, my Grandfather fought in WW1 (the M/E) and my Great Uncle (mothers uncle) died in the fields of France fighting for the freedom of England.......and my Great Uncle was a first generation OZ of Prussian (German) heritage.

Australia sent 420,000+ troops, not bad out of a country that was just over 10 years old with a population of 4 million.

edit on 2-11-2014 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Probably for the same reason you call them "Paki's" - which in the UK is actually a tad racist......

Asia encompasses a massive area, but people from China etc would probably (historically, anyway) have been called Oriental. We don't call people from the M/E Asian though, just Indians and Pakistanis.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

I do not remember a time when we did not pay attention to Remembrance. If anything, the attention paid to it locally has decreased since the private companies took over the majority of operations on the local military testing range down the road.

As a kid in the Cub Scouts, and a kid who went to church on a Sunday as well, it was a yearly procession down to the small monument next door to the doctors surgery, big flags being borne aloft by sturdy old chaps with white handlebar moustaches and regimental hats, medals and the like, who were often veterans of the Second World War and the odd wheelchair bound venerable veteran of the First World War, all in attendance. The vicar from the church on the military base would say a few words, and then everyone would shut up, and you had to be bloody quiet. You just had to be. There were no written or verbal explanations of why one oughtn't speak or move or fuss. You just didn't.

Nowadays I barely see anything of the sort in my immediate locality.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Exactly - perhaps it's down to regional variations and probably has a lot to do with what your parents did, but I always remember it being well attended to.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Well Paki is a term of endearment....Don't you call us Australians, Ozzies (or Aussies if you wish)? Same thing isnt it?.

At least I didnt Eddie Booth their A**...and call them Nig Nogs and Sambos

"Oh, Eddie Booooth you White Honky"....

BTW, the Indians are always referred to as being from the "Sub Continent" and don't consider themselves part of Asia.

They are Sub Continentals.

I would think Indians/Pakis would be offended by White Fellas calling them Asian, that would be an insult to them........Have you ever asked one?
We certainly Do Not refer to them as Asians down here.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Exactl thats what I mean, on a local level my experience of it was the same as yours. Except for me it was the only day i went to church in the year lol.

It was more true to it's intent than in recent years which possibly may have been the presence of many veterans who turned out each year with their uniforms and decorations and teaching us in the cadets how you march properly.

It does feel that there is an expectation to within the media that you are expected to remember and those who chose not to are disrespecting those who died whereas shaming those who don't wear poppys for example is much more disrespectful to the dead who fought so the freedom they had they and everyone to this day enjoys.

I don't like this trend of anti rememberance stories that are reported every year this time
I know that those who can think critically will take a balanced view but with the recent antagonism built up towards Islam many will read this as an attack by a muslim against somebody collecting for British Legion, veterans and everything that means to us.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It is practically common knowledge your first "attack" was a knob. I can think of any number of reasons to light a kids face up in a second attack following a "knob" attack. They are as follows:

1) I am trying to sway public opinion
2) I am also a knob
3) I am actually a Muslim and am really offended so I attacked this kid for selling poppies

My bet is #1
edit on 2-11-2014 by nukedog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: fastbob72

Exactl thats what I mean, on a local level my experience of it was the same as yours. Except for me it was the only day i went to church in the year lol.

It was more true to it's intent than in recent years which possibly may have been the presence of many veterans who turned out each year with their uniforms and decorations and teaching us in the cadets how you march properly.

It does feel that there is an expectation to within the media that you are expected to remember and those who chose not to are disrespecting those who died whereas shaming those who don't wear poppys for example is much more disrespectful to the dead who fought so the freedom they had they and everyone to this day enjoys.

I don't like this trend of anti rememberance stories that are reported every year this time
I know that those who can think critically will take a balanced view but with the recent antagonism built up towards Islam many will read this as an attack by a muslim against somebody collecting for British Legion, veterans and everything that means to us.

Do you grammar?

Edit: you read like a Chinese spam post. Started off strong and then kind of petered out

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gort51

I have to deal with lots of "pakistanis" around here they actually refer to them selfs as Asians I talk to one other day I say you know such a body ye he goes Asian lad ye...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

..... le sigh..... where are you from?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
When I was a cadet, back in the 90's, poppy day was about remembering the heroes of WWI/WWII, that was it.

Now it seems to be about remembering any fallen soldier from any war.

Maybe that's why these arseholes do what they do, as it now symbolises illegal wars in the ME too.

I could never get my head round why extremists burn poppy wreaths and suchlike, we were all in it together back then, and Muslims died fighting the Germans as well as Christians, so it made no sense until I discovered what poppy appeal now seems to be.

Please don't think I am trying to justify it, just trying to understand it. If I ever seen anyone, regardless of beliefs, desecrating the memories of my grandfather and heroes like him, well, let's just say I would happily do time.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I would like to add that war memorials have done nothing to prevent war. The yellow ribbons have long since disappeared off our bumpers. There is no justification for the first WW let alone the third. The only response we get is knee jerk sentimentality. That's why that guy burned that kid's face. I don't know of what religion/ethnicity/political party/Alphabet Agency he was working for but it worked.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

I had always thought of it as remembering anyone who had died in action - certainly when I was a lad, the fallen from the Falklands and the Gulf War were included. Granted, it did focus on the World Wars, probably from the sheer volume of dead.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

Actually, there was perfect justification for both wars on behalf of the British.

World War 1, we only declared after Germany invaded Belgium and we gave them an ultimatum to withdraw before doing so. We guaranteed Belgium's sovereignty from a Treaty dating back to 1836.

World War 2 - same thing really. We guaranteed Poland and Germany invaded.

Granted, the root cause for World War 1 was dodgy, but it was in effect the result of a series of Alliances and guarantees being invoked which triggered the slaughter.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join