It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report says 60,000 veterans get triple benefits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Vets deserve every penny that they can get from the government,plus more. even a 100% disabled vet gets far less money than these scumbag politicians who never served a day in the military.
When vets signed up this was all part of the deal, now that it`s time for the government to live up to their promises and start paying out they want to move the goal posts and change the deal.

If the government doesn`t want to pay out all this money to vets then congress needs to stop fighting all these wars.
If they can afford to keep fighting all these never ending wars then they damn sure better have a plan to pay all the vets that will be created by all these wars.
If we can`t afford to pay all these vets then maybe we can`t afford to be having all these wars.Paying vets is a part of the cost of war and should be in the budget right from the start of any conflicts.

it`s like budgeting money to make your mortgage payment but not budgeting any money for repairs and up-keep of the house.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I get irritated when people call this triple dipping.

I call it retirement payments, and they deserve every penny.

posted on Nov, 3 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

I get irritated when people call this triple dipping.

I call it retirement payments, and they deserve every penny.

In some cases yes, they do deserve it. But I do know of some who are double dipping fraudulently. That money could be better used to help those who are in actual need.

I'm against Coburn in this case, but there does need to be safeguards against fraud.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

If you fully examine how the veterans have BSed their way into this welfare handout you would be less likely to consider them as heroes but instead a very greedy minority.

If you are injured in the line of duty and I do MEAN duty I have little qualms. Many of the folks who collect are injured 'off-hours', on leave or develop illnesses that have little or nothing to do with their 'duties'.

A single veteran can collect anywhere from nothing, $0.00 to $2,858.24 monthly and that is tax free. All of it. If you hit that 100% rating (which can be obtained with a 60% disability), all medical, dental, NURSING HOME, associated travel costs will be absorbed by the USDVA. Your kids and spouse go to school on the GI Bill. The are also covered for medical.

If you get completely screwed up $8179.89/mo. You can get housing allowances for purchase and pools. Special equipment allowances. The rates I quoted are for a single vet. If you have dependents, children, spouse and parents included, mo' money.

Normally FULL SS benefits are paid for a 100%er and it's expedited. High as $2,642/mo.

Military Retirement is based on rank and years but you get it all and if based on disability, it was tax exempt. (Caveat-I haven't kept up on these rules.) A E-5 at 10 years earns about $3100/mo for retirement purposes. An E-7 at 20, $4371/mo, an O-4 with 10 years, $6600/mo and an O-6 at 20 years, $8422/mo.

Let's take an E-7 drone pilot (risk free) who has a heart attack and is disabled at the 100% VA Compensation level. He's a 38 y/o. $7685/mo minimum for the rest of his life for having a heart attack.

Personally I think that's nuts.

I am a veteran and have been employed by the USDVA, was a Florida State Service Officer and I worked in that capacity in the Regional Office and Medical Center, also worked for SSA. Few have better credentials to criticize, positively or negatively. Considering that the average tax paying FAMILY is at about $52,000/yr income, folks who will never achieve this level of affluence, who have to endure worry about economics at every turn, the system is evidently skewed badly.

If you don't have anything but opinions, you do not need to reply to me. I am a subject matter expert. The OP wants your opinion, not me. I figure you would like to know the numbers and the nebulous reasoning for making this so....nuts.
edit on TuesdayamTue, 04 Nov 2014 01:48:18 -060012014 by largo because: Clarification, spellin and grammar-it's late.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

The USDVA will provide for all medical needs at a 50% rating, including transportation reimbursement. The only thing you pay for is non-SCed medications at a flat rate of $8 bucks a script.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
these vets should really be given a life of luxury for what they went through...(as good as it can get relative to injury that is)....if anything they should get more money

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Most vets went through boot camp as the highest stress point in their CAREERS.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

It's the most cost effective way found to deal with veteran's specific problems and to deliver general medicine. It is proof that privatization is not the best way to deliver medical services. Besides the VA will pay your way. In an emergency you can go to the closest private facility at USDVA expense and if you stabilize be transported by appropriate means.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Your mom was receiving a pension, not compensation benefit if she could not receive SS. It is a welfare benefit.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Spruce

Military personnel pay SS FICA taxes like any other working stiff. Your statements have no validity.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

If you are totally blinded in service and you play trombone as a set musician, why should you not get your compensation? Because you still have hands?

All but one exception is in a rating schedule and that is how (mostly) a veteran is paid.
edit on TuesdayamTue, 04 Nov 2014 01:34:26 -060012014 by largo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

This is not true. See my reply made above.

You are paid for the disability you suffered, from a chart (Rating Schedule). Your job before or after will not affect the Rating you were granted. However, if your SCDs cause you to not be able to work temporarily (Surgery and recovery included involving the SCDs) or permanently your rating can go to a 100% rate, possibly more.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Im confused whats the big deal plenty of people have retirement from companies and will draw social security and disability benefits. Or is it because there vetrans that it becomes a problem what is not happening is apparently our government doesnt reduce disability payments if they have other sources of income. But im sure this doesnt apply only to vets.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: largo

Your numbers are scewed somewhat. I'm a retired E-7 with 26 years of AC and rated at 50% disabled (and single, no wife or kids). I don't see anywhere near the money you say I receive. And a E-5 doesn't make nowhere that kind of money either. Check out the DFAS retirement and VA compensation sites.

And it isn't welfare either, but rather a benefit. There is a difference. One is earned while the other is not.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Retirement Pension is not a benefit. It is earned income. It is compensation paid for services rendered. VA Disability is just that. It pays veterans that were disabled due to military service that have lost earnings potential due to the disability.

Social Security? Well I got no point of view on that except to say they paid in and deserve it as much as anybody. I don't think people should get SS till retirement age but...there are caveats.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: largo
a reply to: RickinVa

If you are totally blinded in service and you play trombone as a set musician, why should you not get your compensation? Because you still have hands?

All but one exception is in a rating schedule and that is how (mostly) a veteran is paid.

The VA disability is based on lost earning potential. The idea being you could have made more now than you are if you were not disabled by your services. You might make 1 million a year at your job but had you not been disabled you would have made even more. That's the idea anyway. The disability payment is to offset your potential loss due to your disability cause by your service.

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 03:14 AM
link   

If you fully examine how the veterans have BSed their way into this welfare handout you would be less likely to consider them as heroes but instead a very greedy minority.

If you are injured in the line of duty and I do MEAN duty I have little qualms. Many of the folks who collect are injured 'off-hours', on leave or develop illnesses that have little or nothing to do with their 'duties'.

A single veteran can collect anywhere from nothing, $0.00 to $2,858.24 monthly and that is tax free. All of it. If you hit that 100% rating (which can be obtained with a 60% disability), all medical, dental, NURSING HOME, associated travel costs will be absorbed by the USDVA. Your kids and spouse go to school on the GI Bill. The are also covered for medical.

If you get completely screwed up $8179.89/mo. You can get housing allowances for purchase and pools. Special equipment allowances. The rates I quoted are for a single vet. If you have dependents, children, spouse and parents included, mo' money.

Normally FULL SS benefits are paid for a 100%er and it's expedited. High as $2,642/mo.

Military Retirement is based on rank and years but you get it all and if based on disability, it was tax exempt. (Caveat-I haven't kept up on these rules.) A E-5 at 10 years earns about $3100/mo for retirement purposes. An E-7 at 20, $4371/mo, an O-4 with 10 years, $6600/mo and an O-6 at 20 years, $8422/mo.

Let's take an E-7 drone pilot (risk free) who has a heart attack and is disabled at the 100% VA Compensation level. He's a 38 y/o. $7685/mo minimum for the rest of his life for having a heart attack.

Personally I think that's nuts.

I am a veteran and have been employed by the USDVA, was a Florida State Service Officer and I worked in that capacity in the Regional Office and Medical Center, also worked for SSA. Few have better credentials to criticize, positively or negatively. Considering that the average tax paying FAMILY is at about $52,000/yr income, folks who will never achieve this level of affluence, who have to endure worry about economics at every turn, the system is evidently skewed badly.

If you don't have anything but opinions, you do not need to reply to me. I am a subject matter expert. The OP wants your opinion, not me. I figure you would like to know the numbers and the nebulous reasoning for making this so....nuts.

That's fine stop the benefits and pay and you stop the volunteer system and you and your non volunteer kids can go serve your time in war when the draft returns. The reason we have these benefits is cause rich folks don't want their kids going to war.
edit on 4-11-2014 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Most vets went through boot camp as the highest stress point in their CAREERS.

Although some will disagree, a military "career" is the worst job in the world, imo.

ETA: Even more will disagree, but I enjoyed your input here. You obviously know what the hell you are talking about. Thanks for the enlightenment.
edit on 4-11-2014 by intrptr because: additiional

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I am shocked that no one has mentioned the word "offset" or did I miss that?

I was medically retired from the Army at 70% ($2020) and disabled by the VA at 90% ($1780).

The kicker?

The Army simply reduced my pay by $1780 and VA made up the difference. I am still a double dipper.

I can and did file for CRSC, which allows me to reclaim $1000 of my Army retirement due to the fact that all my injuries are combat related.

Maybe that makes me a triple dipper

posted on Nov, 4 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Sure it's wrong... but guess what I don't really care. Let's go after all the scammers drawing disability who don't have any health problems first. There's millions of them.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join