It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's that time again. Don't forget -- reset

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
DST was designed to give people more time in sunlight, and ostensibly to conserve energy—but many prominent studies have proven we get little if any benefits from the practice. A U.S. Department of Transportation study in the 1970s concluded that total electricity savings associated with daylight saving time amounted to about 1 percent in the spring and fall months—and that was offset by the increase in air-conditioner use. Experts say that traffic accidents tend to spike the first Monday after daylight saving time, as motorists struggle with an hour less sleep and darker early morning road conditions.

And get this: DST can kill you. During the first week of DST, there's a spike in heart attacks, according to a study in the American Journal of Cardiology. The end of daylight saving time causes a decrease in heart attacks. According to a 2004 study in the journal Accident Analysis & Prevention, up to 366 lives could be saved a year if we abolished this silly back-and-forth system.

Okay, you might be saying to yourself about now: what about SUNSHINE? "Why would you want to deny us our precious extra hour of direct sunlight, you weather fascist?" Here's the thing: we can have it both ways! As it stands now, eight months of the year we're "saving" daylight, so we're almost there—will winter really feel all that different if we were saving daylight then as well? Why don't we just adopt the time frame we call "daylight saving time" as regular old "time"? Or vice-versa, whatever. Just pick one already!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

This discussion has gone on here in nz for years. I think the main concern was kids going to school in the dark morning.
I reckon meet in the middle. Instead of putting clock forward a hour only put forward 30mins and leave it like that all year.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: N3k9Ni

It went back in the uk last week which is rather stupid with the way the planet is set up to do business with each other , Russia has just announced they will stay on the same time zone [ again ] so you think this would be a easy one to sort out with all the meetings the movers and shakers have in a year .

Where i live it is dark till 10 am in the winter months

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I want to escape from 'The Planet of the Clocks.'
I get some of my best work done while most of the world around me is sleeping.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I want to escape from 'The Planet of the Clocks.'
I get some of my best work done while most of the world around me is sleeping.

God made time and plenty of it skunkape every time i miss a appointment i pull the but im a orthadox christian out of the hat and we are 12 days behind
gets them every time .

Freedom of religion and all that

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Depending on our geographic location, we have mostly adapted to the environmental conditions. "More sunlight" does not make any sense. There is only the same amount of sun there is ever going to be, whether you are there to see it or not. I understand the premise for those who work certain hours, but their bodies do not.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It's bullocks and poppycock. I don't see the use anymore with energy saving light bulbs. We end up leaving lights on all day now since now leaving for work in the dark.

I did sign a petition

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
If DST causes more heart attacks, then are you in danger of dying if you move to a different time zone?

top topics

join