It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bright, white 'UFO' haunting southern Colorado sky; Are the media really this clueless?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

A guy in Breckenridge, Colorado reported seeing something very similar on the same day. However, Breckenridge is a 130 miles away from Crestone. I wonder if the two observers saw the same thing?

The report is on NUFORC here.

Photo 1 Photo 2

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The exif data on those photos says 2014:10:02 21:07:25 and 2014:10:02 21:06:34 for photo 1 and photo 2 on your links.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Thanks.

I wonder if it's the same balloon? According to the OP article, it sounds like the same object has been seen over several days.

"It's been a strange, round, white light. It's been seen since Sept. 13 between Antonito and DaVita and all the way to Crestone. No one can figure out what it is," Messoline said.

Do you have any idea how long these things can stay inflated? I guess we could look at prevailing winds between September 13th and October 2nd in the area between Breckenridge, Crestone and those mentioned above.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Weather balloons last 1 or 2 hours, as they keep on rising until they burst, but I suppose that a balloon with less helium (or a heavier load) would not rise high enough to burst and can remain floating for a very long time.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
The YouTube comments say that this was filmed by a meteorologist, so he should know how a weather balloon looks like.

Yes, he "should", but sometimes even the people who should know better don't know better. Not everyone who has the education to be an expert actually has the critical thinking skills needed to be an expert.

The was one video here on ATS a few years ago of an "aviation expert" (as identified by the TV news channel who was covering a UFO-caught-on-film story) who said he could estimate the speed of the UFO by timing how fast it took to move across the video frame -- and he estimated it must be moving at fantastic speeds based on the fact the the video showed a wide panoramic landscape, and the UFO zipped across that panorama very quickly. However, the "aviation expert" really had no idea how far the object was from the camera, and only assumed that it was far away and near the horizon of the landscape. In reality, the object could have simply been an insect very close to the camera, hence the reason for it zipping across the frame very quickly.

In that specific case, maybe that "aviation expert" had some knowledge about aircraft, but he showed no deductive reasoning skills. In this case, the meteorologist may have knowledge about weather, but he may not be as skilled at critical thinking as to come to the conclusion that this could have been a weather balloon.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
Seeing the youtube video is uploaded by none other than Scott Stevens...it wasn't filmed by a meteorologist.

He is just a tv weatherman.

Metabunk has a good debunking of Mr. Stevens as being a meteorologist.

Oh, that weatherman, I remember seeing that Metabunk page about him some time ago.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Google's balloons can stay aloft for up to 100 days. There are ways to keep balloons in the sky for long periods of time. The video in the OP may not have been a weather balloon. But it most definitely is some sort of balloon carrying something.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Oh, that weatherman, I remember seeing that Metabunk page about him some time ago.

Anytime his name is involved with something I just have a feeling he is using it to stay relevant as he has discredited himself when he lied about his qualifications as a meteorologist.

And his websites don't help his credibility at least IMO.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

There's a whole lot of that UFO stuff going on in that part of the state, has been for a long time. There is a reason the UFO watchtower is there. A lot of weirdness with that, and strange energies. People come from a long way away just to experience it.

I can tell you this video is not a fake or a hoax, nor are the other sightings around the state in that time. It was suspected by those who saw it I heard about to be some kind of a drone, probably related to aerial photography. I know there have been cartographic problems in that part of the state, so it wouldn't surprise me if someone decided to get some fresh data. I didn't hear about this thing having the "shoot off at amazing speed" thing of other UFOs, though I did the impression that it moved unusually fast for a lighter than air craft.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: tridentblue
I didn't hear about this thing having the "shoot off at amazing speed" thing of other UFOs.

That's because balloons don't shoot off anywhere (unless you just put air into it and let it go before you tie up the end).

It's just a balloon. Check it out:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Weather balloon. MSM is dying that's for sure but it's not because they don't cover a weather balloon. I bet they were happy when the advertising spots were lengthened. I bet their greed wanted it to be about 50/50. Die you bastards, die!

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Didnt some guy , chris somebody write about san luis valley
Back in the 90s called mysterious valley? ?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: blackz28

IDK, but there weren't Google Loons in the area at that time.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Looks like a weather balloon to me.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is my neck of the woods. I'm just over the pass east of the valley. We haven't seen anything lately but we've seen something similar before.

We've been to Hooper/UFO watchtower. There's absolutely nothing there. Alamosa is the nearest town about 20 miles south. They have a college but it's more of a teacher's college, not sure if they offer a course on meteorology. Nothing but valley surrounds Hooper. Del Norte is west, Salida north and the Sand Dunes/mountain pass is east. The towns are really small, Alamosa is the largest with a population of about 9500.

I can't imagine scientist traveling this far to study our weather patterns. We can't even get a decent forecast out here in the boonies. I use the local school's weather station.

There's no light pollution or interstate hwys. I-25 is it and it's east of me. Lots of military training exercises. We attribute our sighting to military operations, research/development. Whatever it was it was weird and came from the area of the Sand Dunes. Dark creepy lonely place. Lots of native American/early Colorado history over there.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Perhaps there were.
Sky-gazers spot Google Loon balloon over Longmont on Monday

I almost posted that link a few times but was too lazy. My comment you replied to was about the lack of Loons in the 90s, as in the time frame referenced in the post I replied to.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

I can't imagine scientist traveling this far to study our weather patterns. We can't even get a decent forecast out here in the boonies.

Why not scientists travel all the time to understand things such as weather, so that might be a reason for weather balloons in your area...help with getting a better forecast for that area.

Or they could be UFO's.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Not saying it couldn't happen but if it did people would hear about it/want to watch. It can get a little boring anything out of the ordinary is entertaining. The state really doesn't care much about us down here. If they were studying our weather patterns it would be more about aviation or drought conditions, not so much to help the locals.

Word gets out quick when anyone comes into small towns with workers/equipment, people are very curious. If it was a weather balloon I suspect it came from somewhere else. The only problem with that are the winds in the San Luis Valley. Wind blown sand formed the Sand Dunes along the eastern edge of the valley up against the mountains. I imagine wind currents have been fairly consistent for a long time in the valley. A balloon would clear out fast. Winds down here often blow over semis.

Not saying it's aliens but I'm not buying the weather balloon angle or Chinese lanterns. You get caught launching burning lanterns in this wildfire prone area you'll be in deep do do.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Weather balloons are usually sent from fixed places (like meteorological stations or universities), does anyone know if there's one of those relatively near this location?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join