It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporate Retailers will again disrupt their workers thanksgiving family dinner and get together for

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Corporate retailers have again decided to open their doors on Thanksgiving this year.

Kohl's Joins Macy's, to Open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving

I think this is really self-centered on the part of retailers. It really shows they don't value nor care about their employees. It seems like they find their employees insignificant when it comes to them making more money for their shareholders. While these corporate elite are feasting on their thanksgiving dinner and enjoying family and friends, they are forcing hundreds of their employees to adjust their Thanksgiving plans and take them away from a traditional family get together. These workers have to sacrifice a day of relaxation, and the reunion of family members who may be traveling from out of town to celebrate with them and their family, just to accommodate their greed.

It seems like there's no longer any kind of respect or consideration for your fellow man. Our Thanksgiving plans have to be re-arranged to accommodate my son having to work at Sears at 5:00. We have always had our traditional thanksgiving dinner at 5:00 and now have to move our dinner earlier so my son can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with us. We've always had our dinner with family and close relatives, some who have to travel two hours to celebrate with us. We've always had a night filled with card playing and friendly conversations, something my son always looked forward to.

I'm sure there will be shoppers who have to support this self-centered greed and patronize these retailers on Thanksgiving day. My family and I will not. I hope many others will not support these retailers on Thanksgiving day out of respect and consideration for these workers.

Workers should ban together and protest. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that would support them.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Workers should ban together and protest. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that would support them.

And then they will get fired.
This really does suck for the employers. The consumers are the ones that need to boycott, if no one comes into shop then it may force them to not open the the next year.

ETA: This is the type of thing that unions could be good for but don't want to get into that in this thread

And of course the consumer would never not shop on black friday cause of the 'deals'
edit on stSat, 01 Nov 2014 21:34:40 -0500America/Chicago1120144080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Would be great if Americans would refuse to shop on thanksgiving and at these stores, but that will never happen. Such a sad statement on society.

If you're interested...

20 Stores That Refuse to Open on Thanksgiving

mentalfloss.com...

edit on 1-11-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
It's your fault. Stay home.
And I mean the public, not you specifically.

Thanksgiving and christmas days are two huge movie days to. They have been for years.
Those people work to.
Gas station employees work.

On a side note, think anybody will praise hobby lobby for being closed?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've always had to work on the holidays when I've had a job. It's not Walmart's fault. It's not Sear's fault.

It's your fault. Not you specifically... But you the buyer. You... The one who is waiting with $5,000 outside the front doors of these places all night to stock up on your $5 toasters and your $400 Jordan's.

You feel bad about folks having to work on a holiday?? Quit buying from those places on those holidays, it's as simple as that. Everybody sits around with their righteous indignation talking about the poor folks having to work on Thanksgiving, all the while marking their sale papers and drooling at the mouth over the $10 Holiday Barbie their daughter just has to have and they can only get it on Black Friday if they are 5th in line after 2 am.

Your fault. If the stores didn't make money, they wouldn't be open. Quit feeding the beast or quit witching about it one... You can't have it both ways.

Again, if it doesn't apply to you... Rage on. If it does, well... Suck it up, you are the problem.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I don't have to work on Thanksgiving, but I wouldn't really mind if I did. It would be a legitimate excuse to not be compelled to hang out around a bunch of people who's company I don't really enjoy. Same goes for Christmas.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   
It bugs me that this is a new trend. I always ind of liked it when I was younger and there were basically no stores open. This sounds a little fruity but it made the holiday way more special. Like it actually meant something. Also nice to think about all the people home with family and loved ones.

Keep a few Holidays sacred for crying out loud.

Watching the disgusting behavior people exhibit on Black Friday embarrasses me to no end.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Ya wonder how many people will die this year in shopping related incidents.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Sunday trading and trading on public holidays is now established in Australia so its clear that this is a trend that is happening all over the world and will continue.

An obvious conclusion here, IMO anyway, is that the number of public holidays will be reduced and eventually eliminated.

As I see it, the process will go like this.

establish trading on some public holidays
establish trading on all public holidays and bring about the a 365 day a year economy.
normalise this situation
When sufficiently entrenched begin eliminating public holidays because they are no longer relevant or they are inconsistent with 'religious equality, etc or whatever excuse is expedient at the time.

Just another form of enslavement and servitude

edit on 1-11-2014 by learnatic because: typo

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
New weight loss program they are incorporating.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I've worked in retail since high school. So, almost 10 years. I worked at a 24 hour walgreens for five years. Never closed, ever. I worked 3 of my 5 Christmases there, and 4 thanksgivings. Guess what, some of the busiest days of the year.

It's simple supply an demand. If the demand exists, stores will supply the hours.

That said, it sucks. Nobody likes working those days, and I don't think retailers should be open. I don't plan on shopping on a holiday or a black Friday. Ever. But, it is convenient to run to the corner store and pick up that gallon of milk you didn't get enough of for the pudding, or the eggs, or what have you. Also, some people will have to work holidays regardless. Wife is an RN. Hospitals can't close.

So, I guess that's just the world we're in.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot
Wife is an RN. Hospitals can't close.

So, I guess that's just the world we're in.

Somebody has to treat the people who get trampled at Wal-Mart on Black Friday.
I will be in my well stocked bunker.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Let's also not forget that there are those people that can not afford to take the holidays off and are glad to be able to work. I know many here may not he able to fathom that concept, but there have been many times in my life that missing a day or two of work would have left me sitting without food or power for a day or more.

That one day with a few extra bucks for holiday pay is a blessing to many... Especially around the holidays.

edit on 11/2/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
There are many of us that simply don't care about observing whatever holiday everyone else is in to at whatever point in time everyone is into it.

Thanksgiving? Whatever.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I never have in the past, don't now, and never will shop on Thanksgiving OR Black Friday. My husband is exactly the same, this will not change for our family. We firmly believe everyone deserves the holiday off to do as they see fit with their free time, whether they celebrate it or not. It's a simple tradition, and it's honestly not like the US has that much in the way of real traditions. Shopping on a holiday? Is not a tradition. We live to shop as it is, we can put the cards away from one day, can't we?

The consumers are 50% of the problem. Don't give these companies your money on Thanksgiving, and the companies -- other 50% of the problem -- will start to get the idea. It's not worth ruining a holiday if it doesn't make them bank.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
The only reason retailers would open earlier is because of the demand.

Shoppers can vote with their feet. Employees can as well.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Amazon has Black Friday deals. Just keep that index finger ready.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I'd like to see all the employees just up and walk at all at once, like right as they let the line of rabid shoppers in.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Corporate retailers have again decided to open their doors on Thanksgiving this year.

Kohl's Joins Macy's, to Open at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving

I think this is really self-centered on the part of retailers. It really shows they don't value nor care about their employees. It seems like they find their employees insignificant when it comes to them making more money for their shareholders. While these corporate elite are feasting on their thanksgiving dinner and enjoying family and friends, they are forcing hundreds of their employees to adjust their Thanksgiving plans and take them away from a traditional family get together. These workers have to sacrifice a day of relaxation, and the reunion of family members who may be traveling from out of town to celebrate with them and their family, just to accommodate their greed.

It seems like there's no longer any kind of respect or consideration for your fellow man. Our Thanksgiving plans have to be re-arranged to accommodate my son having to work at Sears at 5:00. We have always had our traditional thanksgiving dinner at 5:00 and now have to move our dinner earlier so my son can enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with us. We've always had our dinner with family and close relatives, some who have to travel two hours to celebrate with us. We've always had a night filled with card playing and friendly conversations, something my son always looked forward to.

I'm sure there will be shoppers who have to support this self-centered greed and patronize these retailers on Thanksgiving day. My family and I will not. I hope many others will not support these retailers on Thanksgiving day out of respect and consideration for these workers.

somebody post a link to this on the facebook...see what happens...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I'd like to see all the employees just up and walk at all at once, like right as they let the line of rabid shoppers in.

Wouldn't that be great! Unfortunately, these retailers have a strangle hold on these workers because a lot of them rely on this source of income to make ends meet. This is one example of why organized labor prevents businesses from taking advantage of their workers. Corporate CEO's have no conscience when it comes to making additional profits for their shareholders on the backs of the very same workers who keep their businesses running on a daily basis.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join