It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange, fanged deer persists in Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's alive... and it's got sharp pointy fangs! What would you think if you were out hiking and you ran into this?

Photo Credit: Julie Larsen Maher © WCS, Usage Restrictions: None

Strange, fanged deer persists in Afghanistan

NEW YORK (October 31, 2014) – More than 60 years after its last confirmed sighting, a strange deer with vampire-like fangs still persists in the rugged forested slopes of northeast Afghanistan according to a research team led by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), which confirmed the species presence during recent surveys.

Known as the Kashmir musk deer – one of seven similar species found in Asia – the last scientific sighting in Afghanistan was believed to have been made by a Danish survey team traversing the region in 1948.

I had to wonder why deer would need fangs... are they carnivorous? But the news release says:

The male's distinct saber-like tusks are used during the rutting season to compete with other males.

OK, I guess they take their sex pretty seriously.

Not that I would want to do this to an endangered-almost-extinct species, but imagine the fun you could have introducing this species into the Transylvania region of Romania!

edit on 1-11-2014 by ikonoklast because: Fixed a typo.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

Hogs have those same weapons. I guess in lieu of horns, tusks are the next best thing.

Elephants, warthogs, and walruses agree.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Look at those big soft brown eyes, those large grey velvety soft ears, that big brown wet nose, and those sharp needle like fangs. Are they for biting rivals on the neck or are they just for show to demonstrate how much calcium they are getting?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Awww.....look at it's pretty eyes!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Similar to the Chinese Water Deer I see at one of my local walking spots here in the UK.

Those fangs can do some real damage, which some poor dogs have found out when attacking them.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ikonoklast

It's coming right for us! Lol

That deer is frickin vicious looking, I would dislike seeing that animal in the woods. Thanks for sharing

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AK907ICECOLD

You're welcome! I first saw the story on a less reliable site. It seemed hard to believe there was a deer with vicious looking fangs like that. My wife and I wondered if it might be Photoshopped. But I did a bit of research and tracked down a reliable source.

I think I would have freaked if I came upon a deer with fangs like that out in the wild!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
That doesn't look like a photograph from 1948. It looks like it was taken with more modern technology.
My first thought was photo-shopped pic of something that looks more like a kangaroo than a deer.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The picture is of a Siberian musk deer. Adults are small and weigh 7-17kg. If the animal talked about is the same size then nothing to worry about folks.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh it's adorable!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
hmm not going in the woods without my garlic..

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: flipflop
hmm not going in the woods without my garlic..

Unless you are a female deer, I really wouldn't worry. LOL

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
if the tusks are such an excellent adaptive trait why are they so rare to spot?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
What an amazing animal. I 'm pretty sure peopel woudl call it a cryptid if it was never found.

posted on Nov, 22 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I tell you , they are the reptilians in disguise , and they must be feeding on the afghani villagers in the night . lol
These reptilians are everywhere , in the british royal family , among the U.S. government and now in the guise of cute lil' deers .

top topics

join