It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Growing Love of Strange Firearms

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Over the last few years I have been evaluating firearms based on a certain strict criteria of usefulness. I have been placing importance on 4 basic tenets that all firearms I own must conform to in one or all:

1. Dual caliber/multi-caliber capability

This requirement does not exist in too many firearms. So not all of my firearms are multical capable. However, there are a few that fit into that mold who have multiple uses. My defensive handgun is a Chiappa Rhino 60DS chambered in .357 Magnum/.38 SPL. With decent self defense ammunition this weapon has the power, range, and intimidation factor to stop a threat. It is a six shot capacity revolver. Compared to most semi-autos this weapon seriously lacks in capacity. But it is a highly accurate weapon with fully adjustable green fiber optic rear sight, and red front. Firing from a 6 inch barrel and its lower axis barrel position, this weapon is perfect for my self defense needs. I also train heavily with it, I run speed loading drills, and all of my defensive gun use training is done in DAO.

My next multical weapon is the Rossi Circuit Judge Tuffy:

Firing a powerful .45 Long Colt round and coupled with .410 shotshells this weapon has most than one use, more than one type of ammunition, and the use of shotshells makes it even more versatile. There's standard buckshot, birdshot, slugs, and specialty shells like buck 'n ball, flachettes, and dragon's breath. It comes with a 5 shot cylinder and can be used as a hunting weapon or a self defense weapon depending on the loads used.

2. Multi-Use Capability

The Rhino fits my criteria for self defense/home defense and target shooting. It has more than one use for me as a firearms. It is also a very good backup gun while hunting, especially with heavy .357 Magnum ammunition and a six inch barrel.

The Tuffy fits my criteria for home defense, hunting, and just fun as hell to shoot.

My 1938 Mosin Nagant bolt action rifle, is single caliber, but multi-use.

In the upgraded, modern configuration I decided on it is both a long range scout rifle for far away two legged pests who may pose a threat, and long range hunting of medium to large game. This weapon is solid, it is accurate, and ammunition for it is cheaper than political promises.

3. Reliability

I study firearms. Reliability is something I require of anything I'm going to own. Period. If it doesn't go boom EVERY SINGLE TIME, I don't own it. The complexity of many modern firearms leaves too much open to failure. This is the reason I sold all of my semi-automatics, to include my upgraded and accurized AR15. Those firearms were single use, single caliber, high potential failure in a pinch type of weapons. They don't belong in my arsenal. It is hard to argue with the reliability of cylinder loaded revolvers and bolt action rifles.

4. Weirdness

All of my firearms have that. I love weird looking, but well functioning firearms. I like having something different at the range that people spend 20 minutes staring at wondering what the hell it is. My Chiappa Rhino 60 is quite possibly the most unique firearm, aesthetically, and functionally, on the market today. There are simply not a lot of people who own them and I like it that way.

The Rossi Circuit Judge Tuffy, while popular with people who do own them, are not that common of a firearm. Not a lot of people shooting revolver rifle/shotgun combos out there.

My 76 year old, modernized Mosin Nagant is, by far, not a unique weapon by any stretch of the imagination. This weapon is so common and cheap in its original configuration that for the cost of my Rhino alone I could have bought 10 Mosin Nagant rifles. But it is how one upgrades and takes care of this weapon that makes it unique. I've seen many Mosins at the range. But each and every time I bring mine out to tune it, or simply shoot cheap ammo, no one knows what I am firing. Its just weird...And I like weird.

Thanks for the read and, as always, Happy Shooting.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I got the Rossi circuit judge the day it hit the store! Shoulda waited for the price to go down before I bought it, but I HAD to have it NOW!

S&F

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

It is an awfully cool weapon.

It is also the first revolving carbine that you don't need a leather jacket to fire in order to protect your forearm from gas burns.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Forgot to say, I also wait when weird guns hit the market. But not for the price.

When the Rhino hit the market it was just as expensive then as it is now. BUT it had reliability issues. Like any weapon, market research is necessary before the manufacturer can figure out the points of failure and retool to fix them.

It has been about 4 or so years since the Rhino hit the market and I got mine roughly six months ago after having a conversation with the operations manager at Chiappa USA over the reliability issues and the steps they took to fix their production models.

I was happy with the conversation, and since my purchase I have placed at least 4000 rounds down the barrel. No complaints other than I had to put loctite on the roll pins of the front sight.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

My only complaint about the Rossi os having to change choke tubes when switching from .410 to .45.

Well, one more, .410 is LOUD. I shot without ear protection ONE time. Couldn't hear snip the rest of day and had minor ringing day two. None of my other .410's are that loud.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

You really don't have to change out choke tubes.

It is recommended, but the weapon already has very low rifling specifically meant to shoot as is.

And it is a very short barrel so I am not surprised...Always wear earpro.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yah, neat toys. One concern for "differing loads" is how that affects our reaction times in tight situations.

Remememebering which load is loaded and in what order could be confusing when in "defensive" mode. Also, multi use tools can be found lacking because although they do many things, they don't do any one thing as well as tools dedicated to one purpose.

I like your dedication to practice though. That is key.

ETA: You guys want to delve down a strange firearms rabbit hole, check out this museum at a castle in Coburg…

Castle defensive armaments
edit on 1-11-2014 by intrptr because: added link

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Beautiful little collection. If I ever find my interest strong enough to get a stockpile going on, those are three I'd definitely want.

They all have that essence of "sci-fi period piece" about them. Even the Rhino reminds me of the old Shadowrun game.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
working as an engraver over 25 years I got to see and work on hundreds if not thousands of different models. I think my favorite strange gun would have to be the Le Mat revolver/shotgun. Made for cavalry and ship to ship assault it was a black powder weapon with an 8 round cylinder in .36 cal I think in a normal pistol configuration but also had a 20 ga shotgun barrel on the underside of the weapon. You could select between the 2 by a lever built in to the hammer. It was a huge chuck of metal and more than sufficient to knock someone over the head with should you run out of shot and powder. Far too heavy for my tastes and size it still was an impressive piece of ingenuity. There's plenty of reproductions out there but working at a museum I had the pleasure of working on original models.

There were also a few of those double and even triple barrel safari guns that came across my bench, mostly made by German and English gunsmiths. In the believe it or not category if you haven't seen a Punt Gun - look it up. These were huge shotguns with bores around 2" that could bring down dozens of waterfowl with a single shot.

I can't think offhand of any multical modern guns that twek me but Keltec has some neat designs with their dual tube KSG shotgun and PMR30 .22wmr pistol that hold 13 and 31 rounds respectively. That's a whole lotta shooting for one gun. Though I don't own one I think their SU line of carbines are pretty interesting designs for weight and portability. Not the best guns on the market by a longshot but you'd be hard pressed to find better guns for the money than Keltec.

Cool thread you started!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
These are cool!

Im really into the Bond Arms Derringers. I have a large one for hiking and rattlesnake killing and 2 small ones hidden around the house. Even more simple than a revolver in action so I never worry about a mechanical problem (I do not in revolvers either really). Nice pieces. I am pretty accurate at 30 yards with the 45 LC, well I consider hitting the target paper accurate. I think its about the best small gun for home protection/snake killing you can get. Love made in america and here in texas.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArmyOfNobunaga
These are cool!

Im really into the Bond Arms Derringers. I have a large one for hiking and rattlesnake killing and 2 small ones hidden around the house. Even more simple than a revolver in action so I never worry about a mechanical problem (I do not in revolvers either really). Nice pieces. I am pretty accurate at 30 yards with the 45 LC, well I consider hitting the target paper accurate. I think its about the best small gun for home protection/snake killing you can get. Love made in america and here in texas.

Cheers

Have you looked in to the North American Arms Mini Revolvers? Those things are pretty damned cool and may very well find their way into my weird gun collection.
edit on pSat, 01 Nov 2014 16:18:32 -050020141America/Chicago2014-11-01T16:18:32-05:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
The taurus judge and s&w governor can shoot both .45 .45 colt and the 410. Amazing guns especially the govenor. No barrel changes of any sort plus its revolver so load 2 of each if you want very reliable!
edit on 1-11-2014 by IBossJekler because: added

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
First, let me start by saying I LOVE the Rhino's, such a wonderful weapon. I hope to get one in the near future, I'm absolutely in love with the design and I've heard they're fantastic at the range.
But as far as I'm concerned I'll call my Glock 20 my favorite duel caliber pistol. At 10mm it's the most powerful Glock to date and as an added bonus it shoots .40 cal too! I'm having trouble finding a link that mentions that. But, I can tell you it does, straight from the factory. I've fired a good +1500 rounds through my 4th gen slim frame and roughly half of those were .40.
10mm gets a bad rep as being some uncontrollable beast for some reason. My girlfriend is 5' 1" and 115lb with little bitty hands and up to 20 yards she'll hit the target with all 15. After that she'll miss a few, but she's also still new to shooting.
I highly recommend them to anyone who's thinking about buying one.

I got mine for $525 "used" (still had the factory copper on the slide) from KTP in Maine. My friend, who convinced me to get mine, has a 2nd gen from '93 and that one is a champ too. As far as I know it's not had any problems.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

I didn't know that about the Glock 20...Always learning something new.

For me though, it's about irregular/futuristic design, mashed with traditional and reliable function. It is the reason why the Rhino, the Circuit Judge, and the Mosin Nagant called to me as my main weapons.

I don't need the AR 15s or the Glocks. As cool as those weapons are, they have no real peculiarity.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Cool guns, for sure...
A word to the wise, though. For anyone who may consider buying a weapon such as the Rossi Revolving rifle in any of it's available forms, please bear in mind that the OP's reference to "specialty shells like buck 'n ball, flachettes, (sic) and dragon's breath" are not legal in many states... Please check your local Statutes, as YMMV...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: GoOfYFoOt

Good point and thank you for bringing it up.

A lot of specialty ammunition is considered illegal in a lot of places for certain things.

Do NOT use Flachettes for home defense, for instance. Do NOT use dragons breath for ANYTHING other than some fun here and there.

Its how you use them that makes the ammo illegal, not necessarily owning it.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

The reason for this, is that the Rossi design actually has significant outgassing between the front of the cylinder and the barrel. The blast shield protects your forearm from potential damage from the gasses and un-burnt powder that's released, but it almost seems like an afterthought, when looking at it's design. And, it does little to stop the sound of all that pressure escaping.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: IBossJekler

I would also mention that Taurus, does not recommend shooting .45 ACP out of the Judge. And, while the S&W Governor, includes the required moon clips, for use with the .45acp, Taurus Judges do not...

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MDpvc

Did a little research on the 10mm Glock shooting the 40 S & W....

As it turns out the pressures its creating may be damaging your chamber.

Kinda like shooting a 5.56mm loaded to military specs out of a .223 remington chambered rifle, built specifically for the SAAMI specs of a typical .223 load.

Be careful as you might cause a catastrophic failure. If I were you I would buy a new barrel and stop shooting .40 out of your 10mm.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

A cool blend of old and new technology can be found in Mossberg's 464 SPX lever rifle found Here...

I don't own one, yet, but I love the futuristic look of a 100+ year old design...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join