It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Australia punching above it weight .

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Now i know this might be considered to be in the political forum amongst others but i want to hear from Australians in a general chat kind of way . Now my point is we are at the moment very vocal in world politics , nothing wrong with that but lets not forget we have 23 million people . We have a prime minister that threatened to shirt-front Vladimir Putin . We also have a foreign minister getting in his face . We are a member of g20 although not a permanent member . We continually pee off Indonesia . We are one of the first places to send troops to any conflict ,especially if it has a Muslim component . I guess what i am trying to say is we are a small country population wise . Should we be poking our nose to hard in the big boys business .

BTW Australian and bloody proud of it

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

did you guys catch our (US), stupidity?

feels for you.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: thishereguy

I don't know about stupidity .It is a global village . It just seems at the moment we have a lot to say . Pehaps it is because America is our big brother that we think we can throw our weight around and lets face it on a global stage we arent the big fish in a small pond .

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
a reply to: thishereguy

I don't know about stupidity .It is a global village . It just seems at the moment we have a lot to say . Pehaps it is because America is our big brother that we think we can throw our weight around and lets face it on a global stage we arent the big fish in a small pond .

yeah, but your reps don't have to emulate our messed up reps.

and also, yes we've had stupidity going on for awhile now. hope we get over it soon.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I believe that OZ gets used :
1) To trial NWO(or whatever) agendas, ya know, see the peeps reactions before its modified and implemented elsewhere. (Eg Port Arthur & gun control)
2) To wind up countries (on others behalf) and gauge reactions (Russia, Indonesia etc)
3) To setup for conflict/destabilization of the S/E Asian area (Burying our stabilizing force of f111's, arming and training Indonesia, then 'name calling')
4) As testing grounds for new tech (50's atomic testing, Jindalee, Pine gap etc)
5) As a dumping ground (Convict penal colony,50's atomics etc)
6) As a source of cash flow for the military industrial complex. (buying mission compromised f35's)

Imperialist running-dog i think the term may be. And our politicians have gone along with this all the way.
Maybe except Gough Whitlam RIP.

Unfortunately I don't know what 'Australian' is anymore. Proud to live where I live though.
edit on C2014vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 01 Nov 2014 04:26:13 -050030AM4America/Chicago11 by CovertAgenda because: reformat & elaboration

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: CovertAgenda

Your reply is kind of disjointed in places ,but are you saying Australia is just a test bed for the powers that be .

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Yes Australia sometimes has politicians who run around the world making out that they are more important than they really are. Remember Kevin 747 and Bob Carr lecturing the world's leaders? But Australia has the world's 12fth largest economy according to some so I guess pollies think that this gives them some kind of clout. Indonesia is really easy to pee off and most of the time I think they pretend to be offended to give themselves a reason to be angry at us. They hate us because we are white.
Abbott's threat to shirt front Putin seems a bit odd. I know Abbott can box pretty well but Putin has had all that KGB martial arts training!
As to the fact that we only have 23 million people I guess it comes down to the quality of your weapons, training and how many personnel you can field in the right place at the right time. Maybe some military people can offer some comment on this.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Apologies... 3rd attempt at upload with fat fingers and crappy spellchecker on a tablet whilst being driven around.
But in a nutshell...yes.... test bed/dumping ground.
Regards!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Australia is the US governments' Australasian pitbull. The defence white paper solidifies the relationship and the annual aussie defence budget reflects this - who the current PM is, is irrelevant.

Our military men and women rank among the worlds finest and we are also a very desirable nation to immigrate to. Our increasingly multicultural community is a testament to this.

Call it natural selection for global relationships and just like the yanks our vote is also irrelevant.

@thishereguy, yes we did inherit your shizz.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: grumpy64

Ok . I will try to answer all . Kevin 747 ,he could speak fluent Chinese and that cant be a bad thing for a country like ours . Yes we have a great economy ,in fact the only western country to not go into recession in the last gfc . If we were the 40th largest economy we would still be the envy of many . But we are still a small country . The quality of our weapons and more so the people who operate them i believe is second to none . Hopefully this will be enough if we really piss another country off .

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: CyberSonic

Pitbull ,i hope you mean kind of a small medium dog but with a big nasty bite . But i was kind of asking was a more general kind of question . We poke the big dogs but if china were to stop importing where would that leave us .
edit on 1-11-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Good topic. For aussies anyway. I look at it this way. If we were invaded or attacked (doubtful). Who would have our back?

Certainly not Russia/Putin, not China, India etc. Regarless of our goodwill, our nearest neighbours tend to forget the Aussie assistance that we have undertaken in the past.

I have a particular dislike for the UN who often critisise our policies and stipulate certain aspects of our culture and steer our government/s towards adhereing to UN recommendations. I was particularly upset when the UN described us as one of the most racial countries in the world a few years back. I figure that description must have to work both ways.

Sure, aussie help will be seen by others as suspicious. But what do we do. Sit back and willingly contribute to our demise?

The "shirtfront" incident was taken out of context, but, goes to show, Aussies won't be intimidated or trodden upon. We are not war mongers but we help out with those who have our backs. I don't see Indonesia expressing their will to help out. Perhaps we will see. I feel secure that as Aussies we aren't catching stupidity, Maybe just that we have a higher IQ.

Kind Regards,

Bally
edit on 1-11-2014 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   
It can seem that way while you're in Australia, but in reality you go to Europe and mention Tony Abbot and people think you're referring to a celebrity chef or will make a joke about Australia being an extra state of America.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

Do you mean continental Europe?

Either way, even the biggest dullards in my country know that Australia is linked to Britain, in that it features our flag in the corner of its own, was a former colony, and although independent (after the 1931 Statute of Westminster), is also a member of the Commonwealth and still has Queen Elizabeth II as its monarch, although it is a constitutional monarchy, similar in some respects to the way Britain's relationship to the Queen works.

Personally, I believe that Australia does not punch above its weight. Its farming and agricultural infrastructure are vital to the economies and food supplies of the world, and has a massive responsibility to carry therefore. It seems reasonable as a result, that Australia have a voice, and a strong one, on world affairs right across the board. Responsibility of that magnitude validates the right of Australia to voice its concerns, and be treated with the respect it deserves on the international stage.

However, like every nation with a dog in any fight on the face of the planet right now, the actions and words of its politicians make Australia seem as if it is punching above its weight, but that places Australia in the same bracket as every world power at the moment, because all of them are run by small, insular groups of disconnected, workshy, bastards with a truth allergy. However, in so far as Australia has a responsibility of vast magnitude where food stocks are concerned, it must have a voice, and a loud one. It is a shame however, that like much of the rest of the world, it is not run by its people, but by morons who fit an agenda for some high powered business interests.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: Pinke

Do you mean continental Europe?

Either way, even the biggest dullards in my country know that Australia is linked to Britain, in that ...

There is a misunderstanding of context ... The statement of the link to America isn't a statement about history, it's an insult based around the concept of Australia 'kissing up to' or following America. I don't hold this opinion or have any desire to defend it. It just exists.

I've heard demeaning comments about Australia in this way far more than I have heard 'punching above weight'.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
Now i know this might be considered to be in the political forum amongst others but i want to hear from Australians in a general chat kind of way.

Aussie, here.

Now my point is we are at the moment very vocal in world politics , nothing wrong with that but lets not forget we have 23 million people.

In the grand scheme of things, i don't think our population is all too important when it comes to Australia's role in global politics.

We have a prime minister that threatened to shirt-front Vladimir Putin.

It was an immature remark, but i see it as an attempt at bolstering his support in Australia. Abbott's approval ratings increased after taking a hard line approach against Russia.

We also have a foreign minister getting in his face.

I think our Foreign Minister is doing quite well, actually. Much more competent than pretty much everyone else in the Tony Abbott's cabinet.

We are a member of g20 although not a permanent member.

Being a member still counts for something though.

We continually pee off Indonesia.

They deserve it for not being cooperative. The asylum seeker issue is as much their problem as it is ours. If they aren't willing to cooperate, or pull their weight, then they deserve the cold shoulder. I don't think their war-like rhetoric helps either.

We are one of the first places to send troops to any conflict ,especially if it has a Muslim component.

We are a militarily active state, period. We have followed the US into every war since WW2, regardless of whether or not the belligerents are Muslim.

I guess what i am trying to say is we are a small country population wise. Should we be poking our nose to hard in the big boys business.

While Australia should be aware of its position in the world - that is, a major regional power - there is no harm in sensibly engaging in global politics. I see it as no different to say, Germany or Canada engaging in international discourse. Our power is comparable, and we do have as much a right, being a sovereign state, as others to engage in global political action and discourse.
edit on 1-11-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=18612558]hutch622[
i feel the same way, a lot of people i know think the same way

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Take a few steps back and observe what is happening. You should be able to see that the 'five eyes' nations, plus France, appear to be the ones embroiled in all of the terrorism nonsense. As well as being the 'bully boy' nations.

Yay! Go Five Eyes! You cowardly pieces of cr...

..Ahem! Well. It could all just be one of them coincidence things.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Australia can mouth off all they want, when it comes down to it though we would be overrun by any large country within weeks... I am Australian but I will admit this also, Australian people are pathetic. Like to bitch and moan but never actually take the initiative and change something.. Mini America sums it up.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

TPTB are not going to let us stay out of it. We are owned by 'others.' We send troops where ever the US instructs us to.

Think of it this way, We are supposed to be run by we the people, for the people, by the people. If we were owned and controlled by 'we the people,' we would not permit troops to be sent anywhere until the government had got permission to do so from the Australian people through a referendum.

If were are owned and controlled by we the people, we the people, would make all the executive decisions, not political parties who form government.

Some claim political parties are elected to implement their polices. Compare what the current servants in Canberra have done compared to what they said they would do before the election.

When the Barnett servant was elected this most recent time, one month after the election he informs us that we are going to be fed on re-cycled sewerage water. He never mentioned this during the election campaign.

Clearly, we the people, have been relegated to mere spectators of government decision making and action these days. A very subtle form of disenfranchisement.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join