It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexican judge frees jailed Marine Andrew Tahmooressi, family says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Happy the guys out, because if what's been said is true.. I think he's paid the price for his actions.
However, for those of you throwing a fit that he was in jail to begin with... Grow up. The dude broke some laws, and he was jailed for it. We'd do the same to a foreigner who broke a law here.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Good news.

If the guy is smart he will never go within 250 miles of the border again.

One does have to admit the timing is suspect.

But hey beats sitting in a Mexican prison getting beat downs.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
a reply to: chuck258

Not once did Mexico violate his civil rights. He had the opportunity to admit he had guns at the checkpoint - and to even turn around after they had him stopped. He had the chance to be released at a hearing but instead chose to fire his appointed attorney and chose to remain incarcerated.

He spent the day in Mexico meeting with his Mexican associates before walking back to his truck that night on the American side to fetch it and the guns to Mexico. He didn't get "lost."

Are you serious?

He was held for over 8 hours without being formally charged with anything.
He was denied a translator to adequately explain the charges once they finally decided to get around to it.
He was denied contact with US Consulate after his arrest.

And for all you morons calling him a gun runner, he wasn't even officially (after Mexico finally got around to it) charged with Weapons trafficking, only Weapons possession. How does it make you feel that even Mexico didn't assume he was smuggling weapons but you are? Don't take it to hard, and if you do please make it long and painful.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The man had been there earlier that day, he knew exactly where he was.
He got caught bringing guns into mexico, we do the same thing if people come into our country with guns.
And save me "not in the obama admin" line unless you want to show me some proof that isn't a breitbart article

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Lol 8 hours. We've held innocent men in Gitmo for over a decade. Double standards galore.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I wish I could give Tavi and Sremmos a million stars, omg.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

Don't worry about it. I'm not here for stars. I use mobile version exclusively. I don't think I can give or even see stars :p. Truth is it's own reward.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

About time, no thanks to Obama and our Government who didn't do anything to help. I bet if he had converted to Islam, our government would have bent over backwards to get him back.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Royal76
a reply to: infolurker

About time, no thanks to Obama and our Government who didn't do anything to help. I bet if he had converted to Islam, our government would have bent over backwards to get him back.

Yes. That's why Guantanamo still exists, right? Because we love those Muslims!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Got it. I don't like your post so I think I'll go and insult your second cousin's nephew's best friends mothers aunt, because that's about how related the terrorists at Gitmo are to Sgt. Tahmooressi. Nice apples to oranges.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   

If he didn't want to get treated poorly by the mexican police, which newsflash will happen almost every time if you deal with them. Don't bring guns into mexico, and save me the he did it on accident. He had been there earlier that and multiple times previously. He was familiar with that port of entry.
And if you can't see why people will bring up gitmo when you want to talk about civil rights being violated then idk what to say.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

I wasn't aware Sgt. Tahmoressi ever claimed to not know where he was? Being in a location earlier that day does not earn one the gracious opportunity to have basic civil rights trampled on. Yes, he had been in Mexico earlier that day, ON FOOT, when his truck was parked on the American side. All of his weapons were legal and registered, do you really think some Cartel member is going to buy weapons at that kind of price that can be tracked when they can get them on the black market for much less? Or maybe they will get them from Eric Holder, seems like a much smarter choice than some random American you met earlier that day. Plus Sgt. Tahmooressi would have to report all of those weapons stolen, which I imagine is heat that the Cartels would not want.

If you have ever missed a freeway exit, then you are just as guilty of this crime as Sgt. Tahmooressi. The only difference is you probably deserve what he got and more because you have probably never done anything that was for more than yourself unlike this young Marine who went to war twice to fight those who would wish to do us harm in their backyard and not ours.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Crossing a border on foot multiple times does not familiarize one with the way the vehicular entrance would work.

He entered Mexico on foot multiple times during the day, this is true, even I never said this so I'm not sure why you are bringing it up in the first place.

I bring up Gitmo because Sgt. Tahmooressi has absolutely ZERO to do with the terrorists in Gitmo, nothing, nada zilch. Even more so, Mexico has nothing to do with the terrorists in Gitmo either, you are trying to Justify Mexico committing this vagrant crime because of something they (Mexico) has no interest in or anything to do with and because of something that some American elitist politician did. Again, I bring up the example: I don't like your post so I'm going to send hate mail to your step-cousins boyfriends aunts great nephews sons father.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense does it? Well, maybe to you because you sound like an Elitist Hypocrite Liberal Democrat. There is no saving you guys.

Why don't you guys move to Mexico where you can be around people with your own mentality? I hear Ciudad, Juarez is nice this time of year, and if you commit a crime the cops will completely understand.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

A question....

If a Mexican did the exact same crime..but happened in America..would you be just as vocal?

How about a minority..same crime happened in Mexico..would you be crying for them too?

Fact he broke Mexican laws..did some jail time.

When has ...oops my mistake..being a valid excuse when a law has been broken?

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996

When has ...oops my mistake..being a valid excuse when a law has been broken?

When you are a yank, apparently! Other countries laws do not apply to you if you make a "mistake"

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Crossing it multiple times required him to drive and then park so he could then walk to the port, so yes it would familiarize him self on how it would work with a vehicle. As the parking lot is not miles and miles away from the entry.
You have to drive and take the same exit to park and to drive through
And sure his weapons were legally purchased and registered, but was he compliant with CA state gun laws?
I am sure you would agree that CA is not very gun friendly.
And cartel members don't care where they can get weapons from, just as long as someone will sell them. TBH if he was gun running the police most likely saved his life.

And again, the reason gitmo got brought up is cause you were talking about his civil rights being violated, and guess what happens in gitmo? Lots of civil rights violations done for 'national security'

He broke the law, why doesn't he deserve to pay for his crimes?
Is "it was a mistake" a reasonable excuse for you? Pretty liberal thinking if it is
So save your time sending the hate mail.
edit on ndSun, 02 Nov 2014 01:03:11 -0500America/Chicago1120141180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   
It will be interesting to hear this guy's side of the story now that he's home. Probably get a book and maybe even a movie deal too. Funny how that works out. ~$heopleNation

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ
He has spent more time helping illegals here in America than Americans anywhere else.

why should he help American who have broken the law abroad? If a American is not in America and in another sovereign country then they are under THAT country laws.

Exactly.

When he became a Marine he took an oath to defend the US, didn't he? He never took an oath to "mistakenly" cross the border. How do you mistakenly cross the Mexican border?

Oh, mistakenly crossed the border with weapons...how do you mistakenly do that?

He was in another country subject to their laws, he made a mockery of the Marines. But then again, in the 1960s how many Marines used to go to Tijuana for a little fun in the no-tell motels?

But with weapons? Come on, that isn't done by mistake, because you know when you are driving toward that border, that the border patrol is there and waiting to check you. I can see it now, driving to Canada and saying you mistakenly crossed it with weapons. You better prove you are on your way to Alaska to get by with it.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

You complained about his civil rights being violated by being held without charges for 8 hours. He's a foreigner and criminal.

I mentioned that competely innocent men who committed no crime were held for years in Gitmo for no reason at all, with no civil rights.

So essentially if you think Mexico treated this maybe poorly that means you also think that America is the most corrupt least just nation on earth.

The double standard couldn't be any more obvious. I can't wait to see your gold medal mental gymnastics response to this post. I bet I'll give you a solid 10.0 for it

"Retired Colonel Lawrence B. Wilkerson, who served the Bush Administration as a senior official in the State Department with access to classified documents and the most senior White House officials, was willing to testify, and formally declared under penalty of perjury, that many of the prisoners detained at Guantanamo Bay were taken into custody "without regard for whether they were truly enemy combatants, or in fact whether many of them were enemies at all.""

m.theatlantic.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
He got out easy! Hope the moron understands how lucky he got and do not attempt that sh.t again!

I suspect he was going to do a cartel hit on someone or just trying to sell his weapons to local thugs.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join