It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satanists Made a Coloring Book for Public Schoolkids

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

Tell you what, go ask around if you are so interested.

I don't have to tell you what you already know.

i am asking....youre just not telling
i dont already know....if i did i wouldnt be asking.....

why do people feel the need to believe in any of this #?
satanism, christianity, etc etc......

someone just said their sibling was a satanist but now they are celtic pagan...

whats the deal?
i dont understand the need to have en entire belief system and rules to obey or pay consequences...
you know, do this and go to hell, etc etc....

what about just being a decent person...treat people how you want to be treated....
that kind of thing.....thats what i do.....

i dont have some crazy belief system...i dont follow any book or set of rules....

i just try to be a good dude....i treat every situation differently.....if i dont want x happening to me than i dont do x to others...

i have never been able to wrap my head around it...

all the crap that comes with religion

cant eat this or that on sunday
its lent so i better give up jerky
uh oh, sunday again...better go to church
oh snap, youre jewish and im not...that means youre wrong....

feel me?

its all such a giant load.....

people should not need a religion to be a decent human.....

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'm with you on that. This is a political statement.

My post about more general issues was responding to someone speaking of Satanism as a philosophy of free will.

For those people, I get it, but why even play into the whole Judeo-Christian paradigm of symbols? It's almost like they are exiting but only halfway there.

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: HooHaa

This is the Church of Satan. Despite their tax status and word church in their name they're more a philosophy than a religion. They don't worship any kind of divine entity. Instead they preach the free will of Man. The reason they use the name Satan is because their beliefs stand contrary to those of Christianity. That and LaVey was nothing if not a showman. They don't worship Satan and they don't sacrifice animals.

Hell, even the theistic Satanists I've known have never sacrificed anything human or otherwise. In fact I've never read anything where Satan demands any kind of sacrifices. And yet having read the Bible and being aware of history I do know that there was a time where followers of God believed that he demanded sacrifices.

I get the idea of embodying the anti-thesis of Christianity.

At the same time, using Satanism as a symbol for rejection of many Christian ideas to me is just engaging in the same false duality and even if symbolic, means that these people are still stuck to a degree in Judeo-Christian symbology, words, names, etc.

I am spiritual, a former Christian, and agree with many of the rationalist and self-affirming ideas of "Satanism." But because I'm trying to truly deconstruct and leave behind my Christian upbringing, I think that it is more effective to leave the duality and that world of symbols entirely. There are plenty of other philosophies and even religions that affirm the Satanic ideas and focus less on judgement, "sin," damnation, and so on. For example, esoteric Hinduism and Buddhism are incredibly open minded. That's more attractive to me than the ridiculous air about Satanism.

You may be right but if Hindus and Buddhists created a comic book they tried to get into public schools, they wouldn't get the publicity that the Satanists get. Remember, it's a political stunt designed to counter the fundamentalist Christian agenda to get/keep Christianity in public schools. The Satanists are exactly the right group to do it.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
this is about as close to any belief system that i could follow

en.wikipedia.org...

even that ....i dont need or want some defined set of rules on how to think and behave.....

i take what i want and reject what i dont....

i do want to understand why people follow religion in general though....i use good ole christianity as an example...

people believe it.....they follow a book...they teach the belief system from that book to their kids....they worship the book with others a couple days a week....

the thing is, that book goes against all the known laws of the physical universe......i was in early grade school when i realized it was a big load....

anyone have an answer as to why some people need to believe and follow?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

Freud and religion

In Obsessive Actions and Religious Practices (1907), his earliest writing about religion, Freud suggests that religion and neurosis are similar products of the human mind: neurosis, with its compulsive behavior, is "an individual religiosity", and religion, with its repetitive rituals, is a "universal obsessional neurosis."

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I am the one who said my brother was.

It's called freedom of religious expression, people can have faith in whatever they want, that's how our great system works here. But you said here...

cant eat this or that on sunday
its lent so i better give up jerky
uh oh, sunday again...better go to church
oh snap, youre jewish and im not...that means youre wrong....

Depends on the particular church you go to. Depends on the particular denomination you belong to. And this Jewish thing, people really need to meet a few more Jewish people. And what's this deal about "that means you're wrong"? Are you telling me the anti-Jewish conspiracy propaganda?

I'm not Catholic, I don't care if you eat jerkey on Lent. I'm not Seventh Day Adventist and don't care what day you go to church on, it is simply a tradition to go on Sunday as well as Wednesday night. And Jewish...wait, I'm part Jewish myself. Maybe Ultra-Orthodox Jews might feel that way, but not all Jews. Geesh, people need to meet more Jews. In fact, most Jewish people are very liberal and even some of them become Buddhists, like Richard Gere.

Listen, you don't have to read a book to be spiritual or religious, but reading a book because you are religious just merely helps you understand why you have a particular faith system.

You can still believe in God never having read the Bible at all. But to say you are a good person anyway, despite not reading a book, what criteria do you go by in determining your own goodness? Right now, I could say you are not good, but what would I know?

Your goodness is measured by your own idea of what goodness is. But if your own idea of goodness causes you to do things that ultimately and deeply you know is wrong, then what was the measure for that?

Yes, Satanism is about "do what thou wilt", so anything you will do is fine because it is what you want to do, which is kind of what you are telling me about yourself now anyway.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Oh my sweet lord ...

The Myth of Satanic Ritual Abuse - stopbadtherapy.com

Satanic Panic -RationalWiki

Two Cases of 'Ritual Satanic Abuse' Twenty Years Later

Start there, and then, there's about 20,000,000 other references on the 'Net that demonstrate the absolute fraud of Satanic abuse.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Interpretations of a book can be different though. There are many Christians in this country who don't believe in feeding the homeless because the Bible says he who doesn't work doesn't eat. They take this to mean that they shouldn't assist the unemployed who have nothing, and then they believe they're a good person for taking that path. Many others who read the Bible as well as others who don't identify as Christian see that behavior as downright evil, and that the person with nothing should be given food.

They both see themselves as right, and according to their belief systems each is right.

Lets take another one... an unscrupulous businessman who does things that aren't quite nice because he wants to provide a better life for his family. The cost of this is making life for another family worse. Who is right? Providing the best you can for your loved ones is an admirable goal bit so is the idea of leaving something for others. The two ideas are mutually exclusive.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It's called freedom of religious expression, people can have faith in whatever they want, that's how our great system works here.
uuuuh, yeah...i know....i am expressing the fact that i dont understand this need to believe in something

Depends on the particular church you go to. Depends on the particular denomination you belong to. And this Jewish thing, people really need to meet a few more Jewish people. And what's this deal about "that means you're wrong"? Are you telling me the anti-Jewish conspiracy propaganda?
no. i just said jewish as an example....what i meant was...jewish people think their system is right and all others wrong...catholics think they are right and others wrong......muslims think they are right and others wrong.....understand

I'm not Catholic, I don't care if you eat jerkey on Lent. I'm not Seventh Day Adventist and don't care what day you go to church on, it is simply a tradition to go on Sunday as well as Wednesday night. And Jewish...wait, I'm part Jewish myself. Maybe Ultra-Orthodox Jews might feel that way, but not all Jews. Geesh, people need to meet more Jews. In fact, most Jewish people are very liberal and even some of them become Buddhists, like Richard Gere.
i dont give a # what people do as long as they leave me out of it...i just dont understand...there is a difference....thing is, about 50% of the time, in some way or another these people with a belief system try to get others to subscribe to it

Listen, you don't have to read a book to be spiritual or religious, but reading a book because you are religious just merely helps you understand why you have a particular faith system.
really. i tried to read the bible before.....it helped me understand that imo, people that believe the stuff in it are insane

, what criteria do you go by in determining your own goodness?
my own criteria....i dont need a book or some fancy pants cloud surfer to tell me how to live....i said i treat people how i want to be treated but every situation is different......i dont know how else to explain it

Yes, Satanism is about "do what thou wilt", so anything you will do is fine because it is what you want to do, which is kind of what you are telling me about yourself now anyway.
yeah, i guess....i do duth what i duth but not because that is the tenant of satanism

my whole point was i dont understand why people believe in religion...i dont understand why they follow it...
honestly, i want to understand....more of a social experiment though....i like to know why people think what they think and do what they do...
i know what i think.......

it all baffles me and everything i mention and will mention are just very generic examples....like the jerky lent thing...it got my point across.

another example.....

jane doe is a catholic or atheist or pagan...whatever.....
she meets a jewish dude...she converts

that is a generic example of stuff that happens all the time....like your bro that converted to celtic pagan(whatever the hell that is)
whats with the conversion....?
do you reach a point in your life where all of a sudden you feel like the stuff you believed in is wrong so you must believe in something else???

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Interpretations of a book can be different though. There are many Christians in this country who don't believe in feeding the homeless because the Bible says he who doesn't work doesn't eat. They take this to mean that they shouldn't assist the unemployed who have nothing, and then they believe they're a good person for taking that path. Many others who read the Bible as well as others who don't identify as Christian see that behavior as downright evil, and that the person with nothing should be given food.

They both see themselves as right, and according to their belief systems each is right.

Lets take another one... an unscrupulous businessman who does things that aren't quite nice because he wants to provide a better life for his family. The cost of this is making life for another family worse. Who is right? Providing the best you can for your loved ones is an admirable goal bit so is the idea of leaving something for others. The two ideas are mutually exclusive.

And what can you do when everyone is given the right of religious expression, or interpreting it how they want?

You have the freedom to interpret it how you want, that's the drawback. But you can't deny them the freedom of doing it. It's not so much how you interpret it, but through the relationship with Christ that guides you into doing right. There is nothing in the Bible that tells you not to eat jerkey on Lent. But if you don't want to, then don't. It's not that difficult.

But there still should be something to understand when it comes to the 10 Commandments, I know people don't like the first one, but you have to admit that "thou shalt not kill" is very good, as well as 'thou shalt not commit adultery". Adultery hurts spouses, so why dismiss all of the commandments because you don't like the first one?

And people know very deeply and inwardly what is right or wrong. That didn't come from their own minds, and they struggle with that between their hearts and minds. So it has to come from somewhere outside of their immediate experience. You know as well as I do about the human struggle between right and wrong. The Bible even tells us about the people who had these struggles and how they dealt with it.

Maybe people should read the Bible more, it does ask very fundamental questions like that. But when you have a book like the Satanic Bible that proclaims "do what thou wilt" and then people still face the struggle within themselves because they know that some things they will do are wrong, then maybe perhaps the Satanic Bible can't answer what to do when you struggle.

Suicide solution....remember that one? Ozzy let you know that if you struggle with right and wrong, suicide is what you can do, because it's all within the realm of "do what thou wilt". Satanism offers no out, just a way in. At the end of the day, what is left? Crowley's wife committed suicide. Oscar Wilde died broken. Marquis de Sade died mad. Many others who lived by that philosophy ended up seeing the uselessness of a life given to doing what they wanted without fearing consequence. The consequence was dying with their conscience leaving them without peace. They died without peace, knowing the vanity of it all.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You do believe in a religion, for you it is called "Self".

Why do you believe in what you do? Are the master of your own destiny? And if so, why do believe that?

Are you asking why people believe in certain religious faith systems? Because they want to, that is why. Why do you do what you want to do? Because you want to, that is why.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

people want to follow a bunch of rules or burn in hell for eternity?
fair enough
i dont understand that so i pose the same questions

as to the ten commandments......
for me, its not that cut and dry....as i said...i treat people how i want to be treated.....

i dont kill people not because the bible says dont do it.....i dont kill people because i dont want people to kill me....

for me though, it should read something like

though shalt not kill, unless.........................

all sorts of things can come after unless.

so now it becomes

though shalt not kill, unless someone tries to kill you first...

see what i mean

i can keep going

though shall not commit adultery, however, its cool if your spouse is a crazy psycho and you have not seen each other in 5 years and you cant afford a lawyer to make the divorce official....

see what i mean?

lotsa gray area

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

Ummmm..... wut? It says teach a man to fish. The poor will always be among us. Is this deliberate obfuscation?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ah, Florida. My effed up, ass-backwards, hypocritical home state. They still haven't heard of the old saying "What's good for the goose is good for the gander", I see.

Look, in public school, our tax-payer funded education, two things are going to happen when it comes to religion. It's either not allowed period, or it's a WGFTGIGFTG deal. There's zero middle ground there. So my fellow Floridians, either suck it up & deal with a little religious competition being offered to the schoolkids, or axe all of it entirely. Otherwise, you're proving a bunch of Florida stereotypes at once. Specifically the "Putting the "Duhhhh" in Floriduh" one.

So we're not all confused with my stance here, I'm all for 100% secular education in public schools. Private religious schools exist for a reason, therefore use them.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Then you don't know divorce laws. All you have to do is go down to the courthouse and pay for the application. You don't need a lawyer. And if she doesn't show up then you get it by default. Why do people make these things so complicated?

Yes, people want to follow rules. Without rules, where would we be? Maybe your parents let you play in traffic and stick forks in electrical outlets, I don't know.

Without rules it would be cool for me to come to your house right now and make off with your computer and laugh at you for not being able to say anything about my idea of what is good, see, to me it doesn't matter what you think is good, only what I think. So if you say a word, then you are being hypocritical.

Let's see, maybe the rule of paying you to work, that can be broken as well and you can't say a word, because it's all about what I think is good.

Let's see, maybe the rule of you not driving 100 mph in a school zone is good, because it's just a rule...

See, rules are meat for a reason. But hey, if you don't mind breaking the rules, then it must be ok for everyone else. And you have reinterpreted when you said unless....unless what? Unless it directly affects you?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nukedog

Um, actually no, the Bible does not say "teach a man to fish" that is a more recent idiom.

The Bible is, however, clear on whom you should help. First and foremost, you should help the widows and orphans. You help people who are needing help, but not lazy bums, which is what the Bible was really talking about.

Neither should you remove from people the opportunity to work. But first and foremost, the ones to help were widows and orphans, because in those days, the only social service organizations actually came from within the Jewish community itself. There had always been laws that designated that farmers could not harvest every single bit of grain, there had to be rows left for gleaners who were poor. That is how Ruth met Boaz because she was a widow who was gleaning in his field. That was a law to help widows. And it led to the Levirate law, which meant women that were widows could not be left to fend for themselves and the near kinsman should marry her, just to preserve her life.

People really don't invest much time into studying these things.

And another law was that men who were married could not go fight in the army for a year, because they had to ensure their wives would not become widows without anything to help them.

I think there is little understanding about how the world worked back then, people assume it is like now. The Bible doesn't say never to help the poor, just that if you are inclined to be a lazy bum, get off your duff and get to work. But if you are a widow or orphan, then society had to help take care of you. That's what James was referring to, pure religion undefiled before God is to help the widows and orphans. But only widows who have no one else to help them, because a widow that had no sons could be taken into the homes of nephews. That was the law then.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Huh... how bout that....

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Then you don't know divorce laws. All you have to do is go down to the courthouse and pay for the application.
Without rules ?

are you being thick in purpose?

i am giving super generic examples to try and make a point......
you seem to be the only one that dont get that....

as far as rules go....

yeah, there are rules...yes society needs rules.....they dont have to come from the bible though...

i think im done talking to you about this....i dont really know what your bag is....

later

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Um, actually no, the Bible does not say "teach a man to fish" that is a more recent idiom.

The Bible is, however, clear on whom you should help. First and foremost, you should help the widows and orphans. You help people who are needing help, but not lazy bums, which is what the Bible was really talking about.

no need to reply here ok...i dont think i can deal with another post from you...

just quoting this as an example of why religion sucks....

hahahahahaah

widows and orphans deserve help....unemployed/lazy people can eat it huh??

what about lazy widows?
^^rhetorical^^

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
hey warminindy.......

i apologize for being an asshole....

i get cranked up sometimes......

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

no need to reply here ok...i dont think i can deal with another post from you...

just quoting this as an example of why religion sucks....

hahahahahaah

widows and orphans deserve help....unemployed/lazy people can eat it huh??

what about lazy widows?
^^rhetorical^^

I think I recall some of the earliest laws that we have on written record pertained to widows and such. That would be Hammurabi? Let me see.... yeah that's the guy I was thinking of.

So in reality those laws:

He stated specifically that he wished by these laws that the strong should not oppress the weak and that the widow and orphan should get justice. There were other sets of laws before this, specific to the various city states that began to emerge after the rise of Summer in 4,000 BCE. The Code of Hammurabi is special because it is the largest collection of laws that has survived from second millennium BCE—engraved on a monument of black diorite nearly eight feet high. The code was important at the time because it was the basis for consolidating the rule of law throughout an empire. It is important here because it reveals the way human rights were beginning to emerge in Babylonia as Hammurabi sought to protect all classes of Babylonian society. It also shows that many of today’s problems also existed in Babylon
instituted some of the earliest form of social justice.

Way OT but maybe worth while

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join