It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ebola age divide: Fatality rate in over 45s is 94%

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Interesting,

Not good odds if your over 45.

Now put in that damned quarantine!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 31-10-2014 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Can you give us more data than just a link, not everyone clicks on links (learned through experience). And a clip of the article would be good. Is that number only for Africa, for all cases in the last almost 40 years, etc. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
From what I have understood - the physical shape of the body determines the percentage outcome of recovery.

It stands to reason that the older you are the less you are physically fit. This correlation comes as not such a great surprise to me - but does make me feel badly for anyone over this age bracket, who are predisposed to having lower chances of survival.

Thanks for the information.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

A new study carried out by health workers and scientists at Sierra Leone's Kenema Government Hospital, has found the fatality rate for those aged 45 or older is 94 per cent

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Key findings from the article notes.

Fever was the most common symptom reported by patients with 80 per cent suffering a raised temperature,

Meaning 20% don't have a fever, but have the virus.

Quite concerning since a fever (seems to be what they are saying) determines if you have it or not.

edit on 31-10-2014 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet

Fever was the most common symptom reported by patients with 80 per cent suffering a raised temperature,

Quite concerning since a fever (seems to be what they are saying) determines if you have it or not.

I agree this is concerning as someone can be infected and not have any symptoms, inc. fever. This is why quarantining is an absolute necessity.

This is why so many people are upset with the selfish, self-absorbed CDC Nurse Kaci.

This is why so many people are upset with Dr. Nancy Snyderman, who defied her quarantine to get takeaway food.

This is why so many people are upset with Dr. Craig Spencer for having lied to the NYPD about his supposed "quarantine."

It feels like those who are opposed to quarantines WANT Ebola to spread. They make no sense whatever.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Interesting, because the Spanish Flu killed more of the teenagers and young adults; their stronger immune systems produced a stronger response, leading to the cytokine storm that 'drowned' them in their own secretions.

It was also possible that older people in that era had a partial acquired immunity from prior influenza infections, though.

If you wanted to create a population bomb, an engineered bug that would take out the baby boomers right before they start collecting pensions and Social Security would be a great start. Add in something that lingers in the semen (making any survivors effectively sexual pariahs) and kills pregnant women and fetuses at 99% lethality rates, and you've got yourself a Ft. Detrick winner.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

Agreed, for every 100 infected, 20 people will be symptom free or at least outwardly appear so.

On the age thing...almost all viruses that kill us, manage to off us not using some weird poison or technique that will just drop us, it doesn't...all the virus 'wants' to do is create as many copies of itself as possible, if it kills us it cannot spread to a new host.

Mostly, people die from their own immune system response to the replicating virus...our own bodies kill us essentially, by attempting to kill off the virus, our body will raise its temperature will try to expel the virus by purging the gut, the bowel and the pores. Often, a virus will trigger the immune system to create lots of mucous, this collects rapidly in our lungs, and we more or less drown in our own mucous and blood.

Not nice i know, but the reason i mention this is that the statement over 45's are more at risk if infected is making me wonder...it's well known that young, healthy and fit people generally have the strongest immune systems, whereas babies, infants and the elderly have the weakest immune systems.

This is why Spanish Flu killed mostly younger people, also why Swine Flu took a harder toll on younger people...their immune systems were stronger, which provided a stronger immune response to the viral infection, creating all the conditions for their own bodies to kill them.

The infants and elderly were least affected, due to their immune response being weaker, often too weak to inadvertently kill the virus or the body, luckily.

Why then i wonder, should Ebola be any different?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX

This is why Spanish Flu killed mostly younger people, also why Swine Flu took a harder toll on younger people...their immune systems were stronger, which provided a stronger immune response to the viral infection, creating all the conditions for their own bodies to kill them.

Why then i wonder, should Ebola be any different?

Ebola is different.
You need a strong immune response to survive ebola.
You needed a weak immune response to survive spanish flu.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
If this is accurate then medical policy should dictate that only younger personnel treat late-stage ebola patients, in Africa and elsewhere. The study should also be publicized to warn the population, so if anyone, especially in Africa, is 'home treating', then people older than 35 or so should not be involved in the treatment.

This just goes to show that older folks really have to change many of their lifelong habits, and gain new ones, to strengthen their immune systems. The scourge of overly-used antibiotics raises its ugly head once again.
edit on 1-11-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
This just goes to show that older folks really have to change many of their lifelong habits, and gain new ones, to strengthen their immune systems.

I've had chronic problems all of my life.
Ear, infections, sinus infections, constant pressure, respiratory infections,pneumonia.
I've been using epicor for about six months and haven't gotten sick since.
I also have fewer allergy issues and milder sinus problems.
Used to have major headaches at least once a week.
I've only had 3 in the last six months.

Epicor stimulates the immune system.
Has worked pretty well for me.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

originally posted by: MrLimpet

I agree this is concerning as someone can be infected and not have any symptoms, inc. fever. This is why quarantining is an absolute necessity.

This is why so many people are upset with the selfish, self-absorbed CDC Nurse Kaci.

This is why so many people are upset with Dr. Nancy Snyderman, who defied her quarantine to get takeaway food.

This is why so many people are upset with Dr. Craig Spencer for having lied to the NYPD about his supposed "quarantine."

It feels like those who are opposed to quarantines WANT Ebola to spread. They make no sense whatever.

So you are an expert on how Ebola spreads whilst those medics who have worked with Ebola haven't a clue!!!

At the risk of repeating myself yet again. The medics exposure to Ebola (ie every day) has been ongoing for over a year. In that year they have come and gone without any panic or quarantine and not one single infection.

Jesus H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
This is interesting.

Genetic factors behind surviving or dying from Ebola shown in mouse study

In general, when virus infection frenzied the genes involved in promoting blood vessel inflammation and cell death, serious or fatal disease followed. On the other hand, survivors experienced more activity in genes that order blood vessel repair and the production of infection-fighting white blood cells.
The scientists note that certain specialized types of cells in the liver could also have limited virus reproduction and put a damper on systemic inflammation and blood clotting problems in resistant mice. Susceptible mice had widespread liver infection, which may explain why they had more virus in their bodies and poorly regulated blood coagulation. The researchers also noticed that spleens in the resistant and susceptible mice took alternate routes to try to ward off infection.

new topics

top topics

join