It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists might use Lasers US govt says

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well my bet it is a green laser pointer on a telescope mount maybe with motorized tracking. probably some kids.

But a typical 5mw green laser does 25,000 feet. and cost $130 bucks.

Although supposedly 5mw is the legal limit everyone is selling 50mw (under $400) lasers and even 100mw lasers.

50mw is said to do 20 Miles.
www.wickedlasers.com...

But seriously why wouldnt they use CO2 lasers you can buy 20 Watt tubes for under $400 and they are also pretty easy to make from scratch as well and they are in the UV range.
www.amazing1.com...

Lets not even get into how easy nitrogen lasers are to make and are also in the UV range.
www.americanantigravity.com...

Which is also one of the coolest lasers because it ionizes the air which creates a conductive path to trasmit current to a target or direct lightning.
www.americanantigravity.com...

posted on Dec, 30 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm always open to new suggestions on this matter. What make this instance interesting enough to note is not the fact that aircraft are being painted by a laser. This problem has been around for a while...so much so that the FAA put out a warning to pilots in the mid 90s and called for scientific testing on the effects of lasers and air crews. Most of the past incidents could be explained away as laser light shows, military testing, and civilian testing. What really makes these instances unique is their frequency and geographical locations. Multiple laser incidents on the same night could happen, but multiple nights in differing locations with multiple incidents makes one pause.
This leads me to two possible outcomes. One, the incidents are freak coincidences of extremely steady handed drunken teens with nothing better to do in various locations around a major Christian holiday or, pre-operational planning by terrorists.
If terrorists are behind the laser incidents...what would be their intended outcome? To blind the pilots and force a crash? Al-Qaida, contrary to belief, is not made up of raging idiots who are hell bent on destruction at the drop of a hat. Mind you, these people had the patients to wait and train for 8 years between 1993 and 2001 before returning to finish off the WTC. Trained as pilots. Pilots know something about the inner workings of civilian airliners and the fact that many planes today can be landed on autopilot, thus if you take this fact into account, would a terrorist organization with a organizational knowledge of the airline industry think that lasers would crash planes? I don't think so.
Which leads me into my next rant. Why would terrorist use lasers against planes? Two reasons I see. One, to train on tracking moving targets. Two to test their coordination with other teams across the country. Every news article would be a justification of their success and allow them to track response to incidents. Why use visible lasers? To track the response. To see what is done, where the police search, how long it takes to respond, proceedures, etc. This insight might give them clues into what would happen if (and this is hypothetical) multiple missiles teams target aircraft in multiple cities in coordination.
Or, could be drunken kids with steady hands.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
...i'm dying to know how many terrorists have been caught within US boarders and charged with terrorism or ploting to terrorize?

See Guantanamo. I know you don't want to. I know you'd really rather just call that place a "Neo-con" concentration camp for all the innocent people that are detained there.

Can't tell you how many people who harbor ill will against the US and the cajones to realize that will, but I can tell you that in the last 18 months alone, 3 million people have entered the US illegally and stayed. Approximately 10% of whom are listed as 'OTM', or Other Than Mexican. That's 300,000 people whom we don't know from whence they came. Say 5% of them are Islamic terrorists, then. That's 1500 terrorists. Not too shabby.

I will concede this point, however. I would assume that only 10% or so of that 1500 were not total morons. So that's 150 guys left to tell the idiots what to do. Sad thing is, it takes a buffoon to blow themselves up in the name of Allah with the promise of Princedom and 72 virgins in the afterlife.

Go figure.

posted on Dec, 31 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
The "Terrorists" are a fairy-tale, people!
We are being manipulated with fear. Don't fall for it.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join