It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA finishes building its Mars-bound Orion spacecraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The Orion Spaceship, part of the Space Launch System (SLS), is finished and ready to begin testing. I know some may not want to hear this but scrapping the Constellation and ordering the SLS to be built is probably the best thing Obama has done so far.

The flight will really put Orion to the test. NASA says the spacecraft will return to Earth at speeds of more than 20,000 mph. Those speeds will generate temperatures up to 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, the agency says.

In future, missions Orion will be used as part of NASA’s Space Launch System, the world’s most powerful rocket. The SLS will be the vehicle of choice to take astronauts to an asteroid and on to Mars.

The first flight test is set for DEC 4 so I'm excited. This marks a new day for US space exploration. What says ATS?

mashable.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I don't have much to say about US space program these days. This guy does, from comments section below linked article…

This is not a Mars bound space ship. Its a left over from the CxP Constellation program Obama canceled in 2010. The out cry was very loud on capital hill and the President compromised by just canceling its lunar mission and redirecting the Orion as a Life Boat for the ISS.

But still the Senate was not happy and demanded a better replacement for both the retired shuttle and the canceled CxP. So Obama plans for NASA to send Orion to an asteroid in 2025. But I am sure he will cancel that when he gets a chance.

The Orion can only be used for Mars if it is part of a collection of habitat modules and
rocket engines loaded with lots of fuel. But such a mission is far into the future and is not even funded.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I don't have much to say about US space program these days. This guy does, from comments section below linked article…

This is not a Mars bound space ship. Its a left over from the CxP Constellation program Obama canceled in 2010. The out cry was very loud on capital hill and the President compromised by just canceling its lunar mission and redirecting the Orion as a Life Boat for the ISS.

But still the Senate was not happy and demanded a better replacement for both the retired shuttle and the canceled CxP. So Obama plans for NASA to send Orion to an asteroid in 2025. But I am sure he will cancel that when he gets a chance.

The Orion can only be used for Mars if it is part of a collection of habitat modules and
rocket engines loaded with lots of fuel. But such a mission is far into the future and is not even funded.

Don't think negative. Think positive........

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

SLS is just Ares V repainted to look like a Saturn V and with the same Orion module from the Ares I placed on top of the Ares V instead. Yes I'm over-simplifying a bit, but that's the gist of it. Even the mobile launch platform for the SLS will literally be the one they already built for the Ares I which was intended to support the manned launches of the the Constellation program (oig.nasa.gov... ). All Obama really canceled was the Ares I itself and the Altair moon lander. Of course he renamed everything so that he could erase the previous president's name from it and substitute his own. Don't be surprised if the same process happens again should the political pendulum swing the other way in 2016. So what we're left with is what is essentially a re-tooled moon rocket without a moon lander. Yay. Orion as a spacecraft will ultimately be able to support future missions to Mars, but the one they built and are launching in December is not going to Mars.
edit on 31-10-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
How many MIRV's can you put on a Ares 1?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
bet ya it blows up

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
The Orion Spaceship, part of the Space Launch System (SLS), is finished and ready to begin testing. I know some may not want to hear this but scrapping the Constellation and ordering the SLS to be built is probably the best thing Obama has done so far.

The flight will really put Orion to the test. NASA says the spacecraft will return to Earth at speeds of more than 20,000 mph. Those speeds will generate temperatures up to 4,000 degrees Fahrenheit, the agency says.

In future, missions Orion will be used as part of NASA’s Space Launch System, the world’s most powerful rocket. The SLS will be the vehicle of choice to take astronauts to an asteroid and on to Mars.

The first flight test is set for DEC 4 so I'm excited. This marks a new day for US space exploration. What says ATS?

mashable.com...

Why the sensationalist title "Mars Bound"?

It is not Mars Bound but it has the capability to (if built out and properly funded) take people to Mars.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

mashable.com...

It is not Mars Bound but it has the capability to (if built out and properly funded) take people to Mars.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ngchunter

SLS is just Ares V repainted to look like a Saturn V and with the same Orion module from the Ares I placed on top of the Ares V instead. Yes I'm over-simplifying a bit, but that's the gist of it. Even the mobile launch platform for the SLS will literally be the one they already built for the Ares I which was intended to support the manned launches of the the Constellation program (oig.nasa.gov... ). All Obama really canceled was the Ares I itself and the Altair moon lander. Of course he renamed everything so that he could erase the previous president's name from it and substitute his own. Don't be surprised if the same process happens again should the political pendulum swing the other way in 2016. So what we're left with is what is essentially a re-tooled moon rocket without a moon lander. Yay. Orion as a spacecraft will ultimately be able to support future missions to Mars, but the one they built and are launching in December is not going to Mars.

Why do people say Obama did any of this? Presidents do not personally name spacecraft (facepalm).

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Space-X BFR will take Orion to Mars way before the SLS is ready to go there.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I'm happy we have some kind of functional manned spacecraft. We should do the asteroid capture mission. There's no need to wait until 2025, by then the Orion will be obsolete. Get it funded and we can do it in a few years.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: ngchunter

Why do people say Obama did any of this? Presidents do not personally name spacecraft (facepalm).

I never claimed he personally named it. I think you're missing the point. He DID cancel Constellation. He DID institute a substitute program using the same hardware including the Orion capsule but with new names. It's now about his legacy rather than the previous president even though it literally uses the same hardware already built for the previous program. It has a new name and diminished focus so the previous name doesn't count. Doesn't matter what the name itself is. Why would he care what the new name is? Give it sterile acronyms like SLS and MPCV for all he cares.
edit on 31-10-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I was going to say the same thing. SpaceX technology is WAY ahead of everyone else and nobody has really noticed - or are trying to ignore/hide it. SpaceX will probably have completely reusable boosters flying on a regular basis before the giant SLS even makes a test flight. The Falcon Heavy rocket is scheduled to fly within a year. It will be able to deliver 116,000 lbs to low earth orbit and 29,000 lbs to Mars. Falcon Heavy Link Even the Falcon Heavy will become a reusable platform at some time. The SLS is really nothing more than a remake of the Saturn V.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

mashable.com...

Hello Jade!

I took that quote straight from the article. However, I do think that we are on our way to being Mars bound with this new Spacecraft. New propulsion systems are in play, 3-D printing has revolutionized Space travel with the ability to keep food with long shelf life for long voyages, breathe-able man made leafs for oxygen support, and more! As a Space enthusiast, aren't you excited?

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: itguysrule

Yeah, I always joke that by the time NASA reaches Mars there will already be a thriving colony there with the MarsOne flag.

The SLS is really nothing more than a remake of the Saturn V.

But that's a good thing. The Saturn V is the most powerful rocket ever built.

top topics

join