It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ask Our Northern Neighbors Whether Higher Minimum Wages Kill Jobs

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Without minimum wage increases can some one explain the rise in inflation we already have?

Explain how in the US where cities and states have raised the minimum wage there is increases in growth?

Lots of talking points in this thread with little or no facts to back it up. I imagine some have stock in food service and want there dividend checks to remain high. Anything to keep the current class-ism in place.

I support the op and the claims made and I back that up with my vote.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pitou
What is the point of having a job and working fulltime anyway when you can't live off the income you earn?

Well IF the US economy was working right and it had a ideal economy then you wouldn't work there you would get a job with a company that offers a liveable wage and leave the crap jobs like that to school leavers and uni students as temp jobs.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

Bravo sir. Companies and banks and their ultra rich owners have been trying to fleece America since its inception. Every so often we must force them to toe the line. Ask Jackson or good old TR. Sadly the American people are so brainwashed they defend the elite for them now. Small businesses, families, and individuals of the middle and lower class bear the burden now. The elites don't care about you. Stop defending them. How far we have fallen as a nation

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Can somebody explain what is to much profit?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

In America there is no such thing. Profit > People.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

Too much profit is ANY profit that comes from relying on the State for those profits.

All tax-subsidized profits are too much profits.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Most here like to bash our system, yet when there is a proposal to fix this system there against it.

How is it ok to compare America to Greece when politically motivated, but to compare America to other countries that are doing things better than us, you can't compare?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentShillington

Too much profit is ANY profit that comes from relying on the State for those profits.

That answer is a complete cop out.
Every business gets tax breaks of some kind as does every individual.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Lol guess you've never started a small business

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

That answer is a complete cop out.
Every business gets tax breaks of some kind as does every individual.

It isn't a cop out.

Why should I be giving money to people so that they can earn profits on MY money?

Why should I be paying oil companies for the privilege of buy oil from them?
Why should I pay Wal-Mart for the priviledge of shopping for them... especially when I don't shop there?

Individual taxes aren't taxes on profit, they are taxes on income, and as such, your tax breaks should go down as your income reaches that of profitability.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: tavi45

I own a small business with 4 employees going on 11 years now. Self employed. How bout you?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: SaneThinking

More opinion, yet you never addressed my questions, let me make it simpler.

How low do you feel minimum wage should be and why?

If I may chime in ...

If $10 - $15 and hour is good, shouldn't $50 - $100 an hour be better? It all works out the same anyway. Make the minimum wage $100 an hour, and let other wages and salaries go up accordingly. Prices go up, the Fed "prints" more money to supply the demand, and I get to pay off my existing loans in no time.

Of course, $100 an hour would still be poverty wages, but that's OK. My house would be paid off. Now I'll just need to panhandle $1000 to buy gas for my lawnmower.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AgentShillington

When you buy something you trade money for goods and services. Pretty simple concept.
Why would anybody bother to provide those goods and services just to break even?
Without making profit on my money I might as well stick it under a mattress.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Had to run one last year when my boss died. It's incredibly difficult. Where do you live may I ask? By me the rent and permits and other such tithes to the elite and government are soul crushing. Small businesses are dying left and right by me. I'm in a major metropolitan area. I've watched the chain stores replace the mom and pops in my suburb since I was a kid.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Now you understand minimum wage.

Why should anyone provide a good or service just to break even, or worse, remain indebted and impoverished?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

I own a small business with 4 employees going on 11 years now. Self employed. How bout you?

Do you pay your employees minimum wage?

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

Northern indiana near fort wayne.
People that have never ran a business or paid employees have no clue of the amount of headaches and all the regulations and taxes you are responsible for.
As for small businesses being crushed. I kind of agree. But you must adapt or die in business. My shop is growing at a nice pace now.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Only the 75 yr old part time janitor. He leaves for Florida on monday.....jerk...lol
My guys are skilled labor.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Now you understand minimum wage.

Why should anyone provide a good or service just to break even, or worse, remain indebted and impoverished?

Nobody guarantees I will make a profit. The risk is all mine. I don't punch a time clock and go home.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Only the 75 yr old part time janitor. He leaves for Florida on monday.....jerk...lol
My guys are skilled labor.

I'm not against small business, Industry along with government creates regulation to force small companies out of business this is a massive problem in farming in America and other sectors. Consumers drive the economy, the more the middle and poorer class makes the more jobs and growth are created.

Skilled labor is great but imagine the extra work you would have if more people in your community had more than just scraping by? The 3 employees you are paying over the minimum wage are pumping money into the economy thus growing it, how much does your part timer making minimum wage contribute? Based solely on that little check he gets from you? I'm not criticizing you he most likely gets social security on top of the wage he earns from you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join