It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Out of Print Past

page: 1

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:26 AM
Lately I have made it a hobby to find rare and out of print reference or historical books from more than 60 years old just to see how the vocabulary and vernacular has changed over time. Certain words that you had no idea were even used in the context they had been in the past that may even seem strange today?

For Instance this book I purchased at an estate sale in 2013 is titled COLLIERS PHOTOGRAPHIC HISTORY OF WORLD WAR II the 1946 edition. There is a picture of Russian and American soldiers meeting and a friendly confrontation on a wrecked bridge in Torgau, Germany for some eble meeting. I do not remember reading this in my history books in school, and not certain if they teach it now. I do think its a good event to remember that the regular joes of both civiliations seemed content to get along with each other.

I do not see any mention of death camps or holocaust mentioned in the book, which is only somewhat curious to me, but I don't read too much into it.

And today my co-worker showed me a book from the late 1800's in soft cover that he found at a thrift shop talking about certain rituals rites of the ancient Mayan and other indigenous cultures to that area. He tells me there is specific mention of the skull and bones society in this very old book, which I cannot wait to read that one. It would be the earliest reference I know of to mention the skull and bones.

So I just wonder if anyone else out there collects old out of print books with interesting connection to the past that could inspire theories of conspiracy and what they may be.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:45 AM
I have a set of Grolier Encyclopedias dated 1946 if I remember correctly. Would never part with them.

There is so much revisionist history floating about that the old books may be the only way of proving the past.

At least until someone decides to burn them all.

Laugh all you want, it has happened all through history including recent history.

edit on 31/10/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 02:50 AM
Reading old books is one of my favorite things to do. You can find more books than you'll ever be able
to read here:

I'm currently reading " The book of days, a miscellany of popular antiquities in connection with the calendar, including anecdote, biography, & history, curiosities of literature and oddities of human life and character"

I finished Book 1 last week. Working on the 2nd book now. There are so many interesting books. You can really get a feel of what times
were like back then.
edit on 31-10-2014 by virraszto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link has that book for sale of 80 euros. I read a few pages on the google scans and rather enjoyed it. I will try and acquire this one for my collection. Funny explanation of the leap year.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 04:32 AM
I have a couple out of print books from grade school book sales.

Solar Science Projects, Codes and Cyphers and a few more classic books from school book sales.

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:31 AM
a reply to: DYepes

Brilliant thing to be doing. I will say this though:

Get scanning and posting!!

posted on Oct, 31 2014 @ 05:38 AM
That used to be the job of libraries. Now libraries often get rid of old books by the wheelbarrowfull, never considering they are throwing away a portion of the heritage and legacy of the human race. One library I went to used to have a massive magazine collection, bound copies of complete runs of old magazines. When they built a new library they tossed those in dumpsters. Tragic. As for looking for old books, the website Abebooks is a collection of sale items from used book dealers (remember the good old days when every city had a few used-bookstores. Now they are all on Abebooks and other websites like it, and people miss the experience of just wandering through these places at random).

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 07:04 AM

originally posted by: DYepes

I do not see any mention of death camps or holocaust mentioned in the book, which is only somewhat curious to me, but I don't read too much into it.

im just going to venture a guess on this....the war ended in 45....46 might have been too soon for pictures of that stuff to start popping up...
there seems to be a time allotment when you want to talk about a tragedy like that....

think 9 11.....

for sometime after that it was damn near blasphemy to even talk about it.....movies were having the skyline of the towers cgi's back in.....scenes were changed all together as not to upset people......
in the weeks after it, it was all about moments of that event is fair game to talk(and joke) about like everything else.....

just a theory

i hit book sales all the time...sometimes i get bags for a penny....the libraries have them a couple times a year....i always try to snatch the old stuff

new topics

top topics