It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student wearing rosary, gets arrested...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
cmon guys everyone knows that rosary beads are are a gateway jewelry ...next thing you know it progresses to a cross with jesus being crucified...after that it progresses to something like the tree of life or even some kind of sacred geometry ...and lets face it there is no going back from there

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: TKDRL

It's hard to tell when people are joking sometimes and I am not having a good night, my apologies

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Didn't get much candy tonight? I had a bunch of almond joys, butterfingers and Reese's. It was a good Halloween. I also watched VHS : viral. It was pretty lame. Nowhere near as good as the first two.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: tavi45

I don't eat candy.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
This is ridiculous. Just as I said it should be fine for the Sikh to wear a dagger provided it's under his clothes as part of his faith I see no problem with this student wearing a rosary. It shouldn't be on display either because then it's more of a fashion statement than an adherence/reminder of faith but forcing the kid to remove it is going way overboard.

the problem is a rosary is not a religious symbol as much as it is a religious tool. makes it kind of hard to use if it is under clothing. i doubt it is even a "gang symbol" as much as it is an item worn by members of gangs for religious reasons. just because some gang bangers wear something does not make it a gang symbol, any more than if some gang members drive BMWs that driving BMW means you are sporting a gang symbol. and guess what "prayer beads" are not just something that is exclusively done by Catholics, Muslims also have their version of them.

not only should this officer have never said to remove them, there should be no way that wearing them should be against any school dress code. remember religious freedom is one of the things that is supposed to be protected by the constitution. this is no different than if the cop had asked someone to remove their turban because it was against the "dress code" that stated you could not wear a hat.

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I would also like to add that personally I am not for the wearing of a Rosary so that others can see it.

Mat 6:5

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.

Mat 6:6

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

edit on 1-11-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

There was nothing in the school dress code that stated specifically that rosery beads are not allowed...

They decided at the time... to say it was against dress code, yet there was nothing specifically in the dress code against it.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am actuallyvfrom Amarillo and even went to this school when I was younger. First of all allow me to share the fact that gangs here in Amarillo are like 5th graders who write on walls for fun. The biggest gang problem we have ever had here is a riot of people trying to get into the circus. For the law enforcement here to compare the gangs here to gangs across the nation is pathetic and only a way to try and cover their asses as well as the school. The fact that the boy resisted he had a reason to he didn't do anything wrong. I would have Done the same thing. I wear a rosary outside of my shirt and I ain't catholic but I believe it protects me. Thus excuse is pathetic so let me see if they arrest the pope on his next visit for wearing his rosary outside of his clothes. There will be more done about this and protests will be upcoming as well as lawsuits and more this boys civil rights have been badly violated and no more will this stuff continue to happen. The law enforcement and school officials will be the ones in jail or broke when this is all said and done. I for one plan on helping this boys family and although I am not a lawyer civil and family law studies is something I love to do.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
WOW! This takes me back---all the way back to 1969 and Vietnam Moratorium Day. It was October, just a few months after the Black Robe Tribe had declared that students don't lose their First Amendment right to freedom of expression when they walk through the doors of the schoolhouse. Several of my friends and I were planning to take part in the show of solidarity on Moratorium Day by wearing black arm bands as a symbol of mourning the friends we had lost in that stupid war. The principal of our high school announced that wearing such a commie symbol would be wrong so no student in our high school would be allowed to do so.
Several of us did so anyway. Some had their arm bands forcibly removed because they hadn't sewn them to their shirt. Upon advice from my mother, I had sewed mine onto my shirt so it couldn't be ripped off my arm by the jerk who was our principal. When he realized he couldn't remove it, he expelled me from school even though I pointed out that Tinker v. Des Moines Independent had been decided early in that same year. Our class had studied that very case in "Current Events" section of Civics! That low-life principal sat there in his office and declared to myself and my father, "What the Supreme Court says had no bearing on how we discipline our students." We left the school and went to the office of attorney for the school board. That fellow was able to explain the principal and the entire school board (at their next meeting) just how wrong the principal had been in his assessment and how much money he could cost the board if he persisted in breaking the LAW set forth by the SCOTUS.
Holy cats, if I were in school today----I wouldn't be in school, I'd be in jail because every time they came up with some illegal scheme to put us down we found a legal way to oppose them. This of course, was before schools had cops roaming the halls on a daily basis. Thank goodness, the principal back then at least knew he didn't have the right to have me arrested for breaking one of his arbitrary "rules" on dress codes.
I hope this kids gets an official and public apology for the way he was wronged. It's the least the school and police department should do.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: agav1224
I am actuallyvfrom Amarillo and even went to this school when I was younger. First of all allow me to share the fact that gangs here in Amarillo are like 5th graders who write on walls for fun. The biggest gang problem we have ever had here is a riot of people trying to get into the circus. For the law enforcement here to compare the gangs here to gangs across the nation is pathetic and only a way to try and cover their asses as well as the school. The fact that the boy resisted he had a reason to he didn't do anything wrong. I would have Done the same thing. I wear a rosary outside of my shirt and I ain't catholic but I believe it protects me. Thus excuse is pathetic so let me see if they arrest the pope on his next visit for wearing his rosary outside of his clothes. There will be more done about this and protests will be upcoming as well as lawsuits and more this boys civil rights have been badly violated and no more will this stuff continue to happen. The law enforcement and school officials will be the ones in jail or broke when this is all said and done. I for one plan on helping this boys family and although I am not a lawyer civil and family law studies is something I love to do.

You are a Ranger ?

Wow, small world.

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think that this is clearly a violation of a persons religious freedom.

If I were that kids parents, I'd find a high publicity lawyer and sue not only the officer, but the police department, the school and the city for religious repression.

I might add, that usually I'm opposed to law suits like this but that is a way to get a message across to the police.

Image what would have happened if you arrested a Muslin because of the way they were dressed

posted on Nov, 2 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Goddamn kids these days

Bringing religious items to school, what the hell is wrong them?

It's almost as if he thought there was religious freedom in this country.

Depends on the Religion.

They would let some Religions bring Flamethrowers...

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join