It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are there no Wankel Engines new conspriacy theory

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The weak point really has been the seals. Think about it. They just don't get a break. But I would offer that Mazda made excellent progress with the rotary engine, so I don't think it's fair to say this won't eventually be perfected.

There's constantly new materials being developed. We'll get there some day.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
shots - no conspiracy here - there are lot's of Wankels out there, just zip on down to your Mazda dealer. Now hydrogen Wankels are a whole nother ball of wax....

Hydrogen is not yet the panacea that people conceive it to be. It's leaky by nature, hence the sealing problem (smallest molecule and tends to leak through just about everything). Then there are storage and production issues not to mention that hydrogen production and "burning" is a net loss reaction since it does not really burn. Yup - takes more energy to make it than you get back out. More complex hydrogenated species are much more energetic and they do actually "burn" and are net power producers e.g. gasoline, methane etc.

So, taken in that context it's more of a market driven issue than a conspiracy. If we had to do it we could but there are some hurdles to overcome first. The cost and infrastructure have made the reciprocating piston engine an easily built and useful tool given how we fuel it. A turbine would actually be the most efficient but carries with it a whole host if issues - production complexity, heat, noise and getting power out to drive gears and wheels. Also, when they go boom there tends to be a quite a bit of shrapnel flying about....

Xon

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
When the wankel engine came many cars had it. But the moste gave it upp becouse there was a lot of troble whit it. Mazda is one of the few that have continued whit this. I think tha Wankel more expensive then other engine, but the otto engine is the best no mater what you all say

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Teh Formula Mazda race series has proven the reliability of these engines under heavy use. There are ceramic upgrades to the seals available as well. Blowing transmissions because of over-rev's is rediculous. The ECU can be programmed with rev limiting (as most race cars are) to prevent this.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Friends, the �Wankel� engine was originally designed for the refrigeration / air � conditioning industry not for cars, (I�m a design engineer in this trade) however if other manufacturers committed the same time and money as Mazda they could produce some very reliable and cost effective motors. I drive a Mazda, they are very under - rated, and the new 6 is superb!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join